SASS Wire Forum

Travel trailer or hotels?

22 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

OUCH!...Sorry for bringing up a bad memory. :(

More of a reminder I'm 74 not 24

Eyesa Horg

Sir you were not the person I was speaking of..

The person still has his construction site generator I really hope we never again.

I was that camper once with noisy generator. 

I over bought Honda 7000 watt even with everything running in RV ,it only runs at half throttle and half the noise of my Honda 3000

12 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Travel trailer or hotels?  :)

Ms Brimstone and I checked out one of these...  Personally, I'm happy with a pup tent and a canteen.  Helen, on the other hand...  :rolleyes:

Hardpan:

Then there is always this:

5afdec2deb51d_HappyCamping.jpg.a24198d0c68e447e5799471a47e2cf59.jpg

I crunched the math.  Wanted to attended more out of state matches.  Less money to stay in a motel with zero licenses fees, insurance, wheel tax, sales tax on RV purchase, depreciation lost on purchase, storage and winterizing.

Now that I'm getting closer to retirement I'm researching Class Bs.

For your First RV buy a used one. A new RV will lose 1/3rd of its value while you are filling out the paperwork. If you decide you don't like it you'll lose a lot less money.

Rent one if you can.

Research prices using the NADA Blue Book

Make a list of all the positives and negatives. Also include costs associated with each method

With an RV you sleep in your own bed. You also have to make it and wash the sheets.  Hotel/Motel beds are a crap shoot. With hotels/motels bed bugs are becoming an increasing problem all across the US.

Where will you park it when not in use. Is it protected from the sun. Does it have good drainage. Is the area prone to rodents?

How many times a year are you planning to use it.

Do you want a motor home or a trailer? How big? Anything over 25 feet should be a 5th wheel/Gooseneck.

Can you back up a trailer?

Do you want a conventional RV or a toy hauler? You can get motor homes as well as trailers in toy hauler configuration.

If a motor home will you tow a dinghy? (Car/truck) Use a scooter?

Do you also want to go fishing and pull a boat? Some states allow you to pull a boat behind a 5th wheel.

Will your current vehicle pull the trailer you want when it is fully loaded? Don't forget that anything carried in the truck counts when calculating the maximum weight you will be towing.  Be sure you have a good cushion between vehicle capacity and the actual weight you will be towing.

Does your state require a special license endorsement for the RV you want?

There are a ton of others but you get the idea. I would read Capt Baylor's journal and visit the RV message boards.

I have owned 1 Motor home and about a dozen trailers. I lived in a 40 footer the first 5 years of my marriage. Personally I'll probably never own another motor home. Loved the one I had but it was a too much upkeep for the amount of use we actually did with it.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

For your First RV buy a used one. A new RV will lose 1/3rd of its value while you are filling out the paperwork. If you decide you don't like it you'll lose a lot less money.

Rent one if you can.

Research prices using the NADA Blue Book

Make a list of all the positives and negatives. Also include costs associated with each method

With an RV you sleep in your own bed. You also have to make it and wash the sheets.  Hotel/Motel beds are a crap shoot. With hotels/motels bed bugs are becoming an increasing problem all across the US.

Where will you park it when not in use. Is it protected from the sun. Does it have good drainage. Is the area prone to rodents?

How many times a year are you planning to use it.

Do you want a motor home or a trailer? How big? Anything over 25 feet should be a 5th wheel/Gooseneck.

Can you back up a trailer?

Do you want a conventional RV or a toy hauler? You can get motor homes as well as trailers in toy hauler configuration.

If a motor home will you tow a dinghy? (Car/truck) Use a scooter?

Do you also want to go fishing and pull a boat? Some states allow you to pull a boat behind a 5th wheel.

Will your current vehicle pull the trailer you want when it is fully loaded? Don't forget that anything carried in the truck counts when calculating the maximum weight you will be towing.  Be sure you have a good cushion between vehicle capacity and the actual weight you will be towing.

Does your state require a special license endorsement for the RV you want?

There are a ton of others but you get the idea. I would read Capt Baylor's journal and visit the RV message boards.

I have owned 1 Motor home and about a dozen trailers. I lived in a 40 footer the first 5 years of my marriage. Personally I'll probably never own another motor home. Loved the one I had but it was a too much upkeep for the amount of use we actually did with it.

If you decide to take an extended trip say 5 or 6 weeks, staying in a Hotel or Motel will break the bank for the average CAS shooter. Another shooter and I took a 5 week+ shooting trip...he'd never been in the SW.

We started in Nevada with the Eldorado Cowboys monthly shoot. The next weekend it was at Penny Pepperbox's club, then on to Tombstone (with a side trip to the London bridge on the way) for a monthly shoot there and they have some RV hook ups. The following weekend we shot at Casa Grande's monthly shoot.

Add a side trip to Dillon for a couple of small parts for our 550's. Then ended up at the "Best Shoot By a  Dam Site" before we headed home. We stayed at RV parks and took several side trips. Tombstone, Old Tucson and the Grand Canyon. There's NO way we could have afforded to stay in Hotels or Motels. Plus staying at a few ranges we got to meet some really great people.

44 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Assuming 2 people split the cost of lodging at $250/day which to me is high end, that comes to $8750 for 35 days of travel.  What kind of RV in which one could spend 35 days can be had for that, not including the cost of operation? How often will a trip like that be taken? And what’s the cost of keeping the RV until the next trip?

Not knocking anyone for their choices, but the numbers don’t work for me. My 2 cents, nothing more. :) 

Yeah and you get to meet some really interesting people in a Hotel. Too bad the CAS shooters aren't fun to be around while camping at different ranges and RV parks.....Just MY 2 cents worth....nothing more.

7 hours ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

Yeah and you get to meet some really interesting people in a Hotel. Too bad the CAS shooters aren't fun to be around while camping at different ranges and RV parks.....Just MY 2 cents worth....nothing more.

Quite a few years ago and I believe it was in Denver or Dallas I was getting on an elevator at the hotel and there were absolutely gorgeous women everywhere. There were probably 8 of them that got on the elevator with me. I commented to them while we were riding the elevator about all of the beautiful women staying in the hotel and it turned out there was a stripper convention in town. Probably wouldn’t have met them if I was RVing it. I do own an RV by the way

42 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Quite a few years ago and I believe it was in Denver or Dallas I was getting on an elevator at the hotel and there were absolutely gorgeous women everywhere. There were probably 8 of them that got on the elevator with me. I commented to them while we were riding the elevator about all of the beautiful women staying in the hotel and it turned out there was a stripper convention in town. Probably wouldn’t have met them if I was RVing it. I do own an RV by the way

While not as much fun, I did meet a couple of  the Chicago Bulls in an elevator in Chicago one time.  Don't own an RV.

42 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Nothing to do with RV or hotels, exactly. 

We were at a trade convention in New Orleans years ago.  There was a tattoo conversation going on at the same time.  Talk about grossed out!  All these old dinosaurs walking around with the bare minimum covering their most private parts showing off their tattoos that covered their old wrinkled and drooping bodies.  :unsure:

11 hours ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

If you decide to take an extended trip say 5 or 6 weeks, staying in a Hotel or Motel will break the bank for the average CAS shooter.

Charlie, this is the statement i was responding to, not your personal choice. Regardless, after re-reading my post, I can see how you'd be offended. It was rude of me and I apologize.

Drinks on me. :) 

On 5/17/2018 at 10:01 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I've had it several years and still haven't figured out how to back up. :blush: Also, I never unhook as I'm afraid I couldn't back up to get it hooked up again.

HI Miss Allie when we finally meet I can teach you how to back.

The wife and I like to tent camp but both our bodys can't handle sleeping on the ground anymore. We are going to get another travel trailer for camping. Don't care for hotel/motels alot

As others have said - it all depends on what you want.

The initial outlay for a camper - whether bumper pull, 5th wheel or motorized - is not usually a small amount of money.

If you also have to upgrade your tow vehicle for the camper, then there's more.

Licensing, taxes, storage, maintenance & fuel prices (MPG) need to also be figured in.

As a general rule, it's cheaper to stay in hotels for short trips than campers.  If you're staying in one location for extended periods a camper can be more economical.

While towing a camper one also needs to allot time into the schedule for setting up camp and breaking everything back down.  Nothing like arriving at a campsite after dark, in the rain, when it's cold and then having to set up a generator to get the furnace in the camper going.  With proper trip planning and a little luck that shouldn't be an issue very often, but...

If staying at the range, is the range designed to handle campers?  What about when it rains?  Will you have to try to extract your truck/camper/RV from muck when it's time to leave?

If dry camping, does your camper have a built in generator or will you have to carry it in the camper or tow vehicle?  If in the tow vehicle, how heavy is the generator(s) and can you handle it/them yourself?

If staying at a RV park (or hotel) away from the range, how far are they?  And what are the costs?  As some have mentioned an RV park can cost upwards of $30 a day, sometimes PLUS utilities.

Being able to stay at the range, stay up and visit, go straight to bed (in your own bed) in the camper and not have to get up extra early to drive back to the range is very nice.

Not all camper beds are created the same!  I'd rather sleep on the floor than some of the camper beds I've slept on in the past.  I've never had a hotel bed (or even a bed on a US Navy ship) as bad as a few camper beds I've slept on (including my current one!).

Not all camper bathrooms are created equally either.  Do you have room to stand up when showering?

Unlimited hot water in the hotel is pretty nice.B)

The ability to walk straight off the range and into a cool camper is a GREAT feeling!  What's not so great?  How's the furnace/insulation for colder shoots (especially if you are dry camping)?

My wife and I are headed to Hell on Wheels next month.  I bought a Truck Vault and camper shell for the truck so as not to have to handle firearms away from the range (it's also really handy for our closer one-day monthly shoots).  We will be staying in hotels on the way, while there and on the way back.

If I had the money, I'd love to have one of the smaller Super C's (or even one of the big ones:D).  But I don't.  My little bumper pull (not road-worthy BUT paid for) is great as we keep it at the range with full hook ups and use it once per month for one night and then at the annual/state matches we host.  Otherwise, it's hotel rooms for the near future for any out-of-town/multi-day shoots.

Hi Chief Rick,

About the beds, when we got our RV, we had a new mattress made for it. It seemed to be a reasonable price and quite comfortable. Don't ask the price, as that was 1999 and I don't remember.

My trailer doesn't have a dedicated bed. So the beds are lumpy when seat cushions are let down for sleeping. I use a 3" (or so) thick memory foam mattress on top of them. That is quite comfortable.

Regards,

AM

38 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Chief Rick,

About the beds, when we got our RV, we had a new mattress made for it. It seemed to be a reasonable price and quite comfortable. Don't ask the price, as that was 1999 and I don't remember.

My trailer doesn't have a dedicated bed. So the beds are lumpy when seat cushions are let down for sleeping. I use a 3" (or so) thick memory foam mattress on top of them. That is quite comfortable.

Regards,

AM

Hi Allie!

We have a 4" memory foam on ours.

Ours is not a dedicated bed either.  The foot portion folds over onto the upper portion to form a backrest for a couch.:(

Also, it's not a true queen but rather a "short" queen.

For one to three nights a month, it's doable.

Just felt it was something others should be aware of.

Again, I do enjoy being right on the range for many of the reasons already posted.  But sometimes I enjoy being in a nice hotel room even more.

A class B camper sure seems to be the most practical for many reasons. Except for space perhaps.

How about a pickup and slide-in camper? 

17 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

A class B camper sure seems to be the most practical for many reasons. Except for space perhaps.

How about a pickup and slide-in camper? 

Slide in pick-up campers are quite HEAVY!

Too many 3/4 and even some one ton trucks are really overloaded with slide-in campers.

This is one of lightest I'm aware of and it has a dry weight of over 1,100 lbs.

This one starts at 3,400 lbs.

And they're fairly expensive for what you get, in my opinion.

I'd rather have a small toy hauler bumper pull.

I'm looking at something like this, which has a dry weight of just over 3,000 lbs, if we decide to go with another TT.

The camper, like the hotel room (IMO) is for changing, eating and/or sleeping - not entertaining.

Again, that's based on my current budget.  :D  If I had more money than I knew what to do with...:ph34r:

Archived