SASS Wire Forum

Travel trailer or hotels?

Travel trailer or hotels?  :)

Ms Brimstone and I checked out one of these...  Personally, I'm happy with a pup tent and a canteen.  Helen, on the other hand...  :rolleyes:

You can stay at a BUNCH of hotels for the price of a camper. 

Plus, you pay no property taxes on a hotel room, don't pay to store it, no maintenance fees, no flat tires, and no cleaning.  ;)

12 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Plus, you pay no property taxes on a hotel room, don't pay to store it, no maintenance fees, no flat tires, and no cleaning.  ;)

And better gas mileage 

How much are you going to use it?  That is the BIG question.  As Dantankerous observes, there is a large PITA quotient associated with a travel trailer.

If you use it a lot it is worth the trouble and expense because of the flexibility that it gives you but for one or two trips per year I found it to be more trouble than it was worth.

Duffield

And don't forget, if you buy new it's going to take a huge depreciation hit.

Okay, let’s take a different tack. I don’t own a camper, never have, but I have stayed in a boatload of hotels and motels.

Negatives:

You are staying in room many many others have stayed in and sleeping in the same bed. Is it really clean?

You don’t get to pick your room with a comfortable bed. Ever gone to a match or anywhere else with a hitch in your getalong due to a lousy bed? You want a nice be in a hotel? Pay up buddy! The nice beds aren’t at the cheap hotels.

Want a snack at a hotel? There’s the honor bar or what you brought with you...or you could get dressed and go for a walk...after dark...in a strange town...

Hotels / Motels NEVER feel like home.

One who walks on her heels always seems to stay above you in a hotel...and she’s usually an uptight b**** with an a****** for a lover.

”What do you mean $180 for one night? This room was supposed to be $120!...What do you mean Travel Tax, City Tax, County Tax, Don’t come back here ‘cause we’re a bunch of d’bags Tax?”

I could go on but my blood pressure is going up. :)

Now, I have camped many many times as well but that was in a tent. Do you know what tent campers think of RV and trailer campers?

They are noisy.

They slam doors.

They think they’re at home.

They think everyone else likes their stupid music.

Their generator needs a few bullets in it to weigh it down.

Do they know what a cheap air conditioner sounds like at 2:00 AM?...no, because they are deaf...and dumb.

They think that in the outdoors you have to yell during conversations because the air is so thin.

They think because they have circled their wagons (RVs) it gives them license to act like asses and they think the RVs somehow deaden sound to everyone else around them.0

There. That’s my take.

Wait, one more thing. Buying a camper to go to matches is like just finishing slow at a stage with a factory rifle and having everyone tell you everything that’s wrong with the gun you selected, how they can direct you to fix it or what you need to buy to upgrade so that you keep up with their Jonesing to help others spend their money. 

I attend maybe four or five 3 day shoots a year, for me a hotel works just fine.

I'll never own a camper trailer or motor home.   But the real advantage I can see is that you could build in a vault and store your guns and other stuff and not have to drag it in and out of a motel. 

I can travel with 1/10 the crap that Mary thinks is essential.

If I just had money to burn, I'd consider a small conversion van.  

Even neglecting the price of the trailer itself, parking it ain't always free. I've been to campgrounds that charge upwards of $30 a night for a campsite with no utility hookups. That makes the price of a motel room seem like a little bit better deal.

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

AND, Room Service is hard to come by in  a campground and the SPA is not as glamorous. 

camper hands down!!  the best way to visit with friends at shoots,,,  when traveling stay in cracker barrel parking lots for free,, they close at like 10 pm and are very quiet even in the mornings.

my own bed and food!  

to me it's worth any hassles involved

if you buy new,,  knock 30% off list price and start negotiating from there

3 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

camper hands down!!  the best way to visit with friends at shoots,,,  when traveling stay in cracker barrel parking lots for free,, they close at like 10 pm and are very quiet even in the mornings.

my own bed and food!  

to me it's worth any hassles involved

if you buy new,,  knock 30% off list price and start negotiating from there

+1! Also, at least in the areas I frequent, there are some ranges where hoteling means driving a long way to and from the range each day, if there is even a halfway clean hotel available for anything like a reasonable price.  For some big shoots, a person needs to make hotel reservations many months in advance...Good luck if you happen to be a bit slow. Camping, I don't have to drag the guns back and forth through the hotel, nor do I have to haul out everything of any value when I go off to the range. As a BP competitor, I can sit beneath the camper awning and clean guns at my own pace, rather than hurry through so I can drive the X-number of miles back to a hotel, shower and food.

CS

I bought my trailer used, but it was very seldom used. It looked like a new one inside and out. The oven had never been used. So, the depreciation was already covered. I use mine several times a year. There's a couple of clubs I shoot at that the nearest Hotel/Motel is 15-20 miles away and the areas are a HUGE tourist destination. A motel/hotel runs $100 and up (off season) and close to double that during the tourist season.

I started out with a tent...went to a tent trailer...then a pickup camper and back to a tent trailer and back again to another pickup camper. Now I'm on my 2nd travel trailer and a big part of having it is being around the other shooters after the day's shoot. There's always some you've never met, and it's a great way to meet fellow shooters that you may never run across again.Sure there's always someone that runs their generator at 2am, but most have a 11pm or earlier quiet time set for the evening. I'll keep my trailer. My storage area cost is $27.50 a month for a gated storage spot.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Okay, let’s take a different tack. I don’t own a camper, never have, but I have stayed in a boatload of hotels and motels.

Negatives:

You are staying in room many many others have stayed in and sleeping in the same bed. Is it really clean?

You don’t get to pick your room with a comfortable bed. Ever gone to a match or anywhere else with a hitch in your getalong due to a lousy bed? You want a nice be in a hotel? Pay up buddy! The nice beds aren’t at the cheap hotels.

Want a snack at a hotel? There’s the honor bar or what you brought with you...or you could get dressed and go for a walk...after dark...in a strange town...

Hotels / Motels NEVER feel like home.

One who walks on her heels always seems to stay above you in a hotel...and she’s usually an uptight b**** with an a****** for a lover.

”What do you mean $180 for one night? This room was supposed to be $120!...What do you mean Travel Tax, City Tax, County Tax, Don’t come back here ‘cause we’re a bunch of d’bags Tax?”

I could go on but my blood pressure is going up. :)

Now, I have camped many many times as well but that was in a tent. Do you know what tent campers think of RV and trailer campers?

They are noisy.

They slam doors.

They think they’re at home.

They think everyone else likes their stupid music.

Their generator needs a few bullets in it to weigh it down.

Do they know what a cheap air conditioner sounds like at 2:00 AM?...no, because they are deaf...and dumb.

They think that in the outdoors you have to yell during conversations because the air is so thin.

They think because they have circled their wagons (RVs) it gives them license to act like asses and they think the RVs somehow deaden sound to everyone else around them.0

There. That’s my take.

Wait, one more thing. Buying a camper to go to matches is like just finishing slow at a stage with a factory rifle and having everyone tell you everything that’s wrong with the gun you selected, how they can direct you to fix it or what you need to buy to upgrade so that you keep up with their Jonesing to help others spend their money. 

Maybe you should just do local matches.  You get cranky when you travel--HEHEHEHE.  I love reading your posts, Pat.  Always down to earth.

I take my motor home to the local matches the afternoon before the big event. In fact, a few of us are now doing the same thing.

SWMBO insisted I do it, instead of driving to the range prior to dawn and coming home in the dark. Seems she still worries about me after 50 years of wedded bliss.

Staying on the range overnight with some pards watching movies while the generator hums away and we enjoy each others company is part of the package.

The added advantage is, the motor home, with it's the built in generator, serves as the posse office, allowing us to run the computer and printer, post the results, download pictures and videos of the match etc.

IMG_1145.JPG

8 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Maybe you should just do local matches.  You get cranky when you travel--HEHEHEHE.  I love reading your posts, Pat.  Always down to earth.

Ya got me! :D I hate traveling. Probably because I have done so much of it.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Question .Do all motels have the dark bedspreads and dark colored carpet?

In my trailer I know when the wife cleaned and washed everything .

I really hate living out of a suitcase .  Just my thoughts 

24 minutes ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

My storage area cost is $27.50 a month for a gated storage spot.

Wow! That is cheap. Everything amount around my area is going to be about $100 per month for any kind of security. I can certainly find more affordable but that lends itself to no security, no on-site management, and exposed to the weather 100% of the time.

Camper and RV roofs are susceptible to hail storms, high winds, and constant UV damage from the sun. Roof maintenance can get expensive. I know some people who have money and because they have money they have nice fifth wheels and they get to store their fifth wheels in covered secure locations but that just increases their expenditures. But hey, for $27 a month I'd at least almost rule out that expense.

I tent camp and I'm happy to do so. I love tenting. However I would hazard a guess that most of our wives do not. Therefore it's either going to be a hotel room or an RV/camper.

One piece of this puzzle is your vehicle. Unless you get a Class C motorhome you're going to need a tow vehicle. Many of us do not drive a 3/4 ton or larger pick up that can safely tow a larger camper. In order for me to buy a large camper I would first need to buy a tow vehicle and that's just not going to happen until I decide to spend all the rest of my money on a truck. And that ain't happening. I suspect I'm not the only one with this perspective.

See if you can rent an RV, before you buy.;)

The big things are how much water can you carry(my Lance camper has a 50gal tank)and how much the holding tanks will hold.

A/C is a must in the summer, heck-I use A/C when cooking as the stove heats the whole place up.

OLG

Camping is not for everyone. No matter what level you do , the weather can make your life very miserable plus bugs and other crawlers can be a problem..

My biggest gripe is the camper that brings the construction generator to use .  I hear this a lot those Honda generators are really quiet but I got this supper deal on this one,so what that you can't hear and your ear plugs don't help .  And the match director won't say anything because they (the camper ) mite not come back next year.   Sorry I am done now

3 minutes ago, Catlow4697 said:

Camping is not for everyone. No matter what level you do , the weather can make your life very miserable plus bugs and other crawlers can be a problem..

My biggest gripe is the camper that brings the construction generator to use .  I hear this a lot those Honda generators are really quiet but I got this supper deal on this one,so what that you can't hear and your ear plugs don't help .  And the match director won't say anything because they (the camper ) mite not come back next year.   Sorry I am done now

In all my years of competitive shooting and off-roading(jeeping). I have never had this happen.

Must have been a bunch of gutless cowards the didn't tell that SOB to shut it off.

The Honda's are supper quite-I have 2 of them.

OLG

My 5'r is 20 years old but in excellent condition because it was well taken care of.  It was relatively inexpensive to buy and can be stored at my home.  It is small enough a 1/2 ton pickup can tow it but a 3/4 handles it a bit better.  We take a fairly long trip in it yearly because we want to bring our pups with us and it is used to go to several more local shoots.  

It does require maintenance to keep it nice and you MUST keep an eye on the age of the tires.  That will be the #1 headache.  There is plastic that needs replacement and you must keep the roof in good condition.  It should be covered when not in use to keep it nicer longer.  You may need a generator if you like AC.  I like the convenience and am willing to do the maintenance to keep it serviceable. 

If you have a good pickup, there are several rental companies in the Valley to rent a RV or you can rent a small MH.  Trailers are far less expensive to rent as there are no mileage fees.  An occasional trip, I would rent.  Used regularly, buy a nice used one.

We had an RV until we built a house in the forest and the rats moved in and ate the wiring in the cab. I preferred driving it to pulling a trailer. Now I pull a trailer, which we bought new, due to the bed bug scare that year. I've had it several years and still haven't figured out how to back up. :blush: Also, I never unhook as I'm afraid I couldn't back up to get it hooked up again.

I don't like it because it is too small and chintzy (Skyline 140). If I had it to do over, I would get a Lance 1685. Still, I like it better than a hotel. I tried that four times.

BTW, the axel leaf spring just broke on my piece of doo doo trailer. Unfortunately, Hubby found a blacksmith to build a stronger one for a reasonable price. The blacksmith said he wouldn't recommend one as puny as mine for even a tiny trailer (not a travel trailer).  So, no Lance yet. Moral of that story is don't buy a Skyline.

The fresh water is totally inadequate in my trailer (17 gallons). So, I carry a 35 gallon tank in the truck bed. I have a Honda 6400 generator. It is pretty quiet. I never run it after 9:00 p.m. or in the morning. Would you believe I came back from shooting and found that another shooter had plugged into my generator to run his AC. What a jerk. I did not have anymore gas, if it ran out. The black water tank is a joke at 8 gallons. So, I always park near a porta-potty.

Hardpan, be sure you get one adequate for at least a four day match for two people. It is a rare range that has dump facilities. RR Bar does though.

I hope this helps you. I did need to vent. Still, I would rather have this trailer than use a hotel by myself. I feel safe at the range.

I've been to a number of regional matches where there are lots of RV/Trailers. I used to tent camp to take part in any camaraderie, but I've noticed that with few exceptions, most retreat inside their RVs and close the door. As a tent camper, the sound of 50 generators running was more than I wanted to put up with. My options were to tent far away, or stay at a motel.

I've found far more camaraderie with folks staying at motels than at the campground. YMMV

38 minutes ago, Catlow4697 said:

I was that Camper once and only once, I was so embarrassed as Pards had to move their vehicles to try and block the noise. I moved it to between my truck and camper and deafened myowndangself just trying to get the camper from a humid 98 deg. to 65 so it would hopefully stay cool enough overnight to sleep. The following year bought a quiet inverter type! Not a soul complained, but, I still felt bad and apologized to a few who were set up close to me.

But, as Allie experienced, I never thought of hooking up to someone Else's and running it.:ph34r:  That's pretty unbelievable.

Noise can be a problem in a lot of RV parks and Motels too. The ones that decide every night is a party your bunn's off night.

As for generators, I use 2 Honda 2000's linked together and they are quite quiet. I do make sure to try and find a spot so no one is behind my trailer. That way I can set up the generators so the exhaust is pointed out into the wide open spaces behind me. MY "Gen" cut off time is usually 10pm...sometimes if no one's close by, 11pm. My fresh water tank is 45 gallons, hot water heater is 10 gallons but it's a quick recovery type. I do carry 2  5 gallon water cans as an incase. The grey and black tanks are about 50 gallons each.

There are maintenance costs. Mine has a rubberized roof. It's a 2012 and last year I had it sealed for the 2nd time, according to the dealer that sold and maintained it for the original owner. That ran me $250. But, there's maintenance costs with whatever you drive getting to a Hotel or Motel that charges upward of $70 per night.

I tow with a used 94 3/4 ton Dodge 2WD with a Cummin's and a 5 speed. I average from 13.9-17.2 at highway speeds. That depends on winds and terrain. Running into a head wind and in a hilly area knocks that down some. But I do have a vehicle to get around in when I'm set up. So, there's Pro's and Con's for whatever way you want to go. Just enjoy your choice.

I don't shoot enough "away" matches anymore, to justify an RV or Camper.  Plus, I can't afford a dragon wagon.  Me and Motel 6.  they leave the light on for ya  :P

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Who's camper is third from the left? :D

THAT danged thing!

I climbed up in that two years ago to get out any damage/rot and fell onto the side wall.

It had been used for hay rides and had seats bolted on to the bed of the wagon.

Some @##$%^&**(() unbolted the seats and left them in place.

I stepped on a seat climbing in and it tilted over, with me standing on it.

Broke three ribs and missed the annual.

Took the better part of a year to heal up, what with the soft tissue damage as well as the ribs.

Slept sitting up for a few weeks.

23 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

THAT danged thing!

I climbed up in that two years ago to get out any damage/rot and fell onto the side wall.

It had been used for hay rides and had seats bolted on to the bed of the wagon.

Some @##$%^&**(() unbolted the seats and left them in place.

I stepped on a seat climbing in and it tilted over, with me standing on it.

Broke three ribs and missed the annual.

Took the better part of a year to heal up, what with the soft tissue damage as well as the ribs.

Slept sitting up for a few weeks.

OUCH!...Sorry for bringing up a bad memory. :(

8 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

The one big plus is the camaraderie on the range that you miss in a motel. Lots of negatives, most already mentioned.

HE HIT IT ON THE NOSE!!!

Archived