SASS Wire Forum

"Infomercial" being banned

just recently two threads have been locked because they were called infomercials..**

What better way to tell other pards of fellow cowboys who support SASS and provide excellent services and products.   I could possibly understand it if the threads were started by the owner of the businesses, but they weren't.   

** imho of course 

Edited to stay within the SASS Guidelines...

It's one thing to tell folks about good vendors.  But please don't tell folks that these vendors are better than all the others and/or that you'd be a fool to use anyone else.

Phantom

So many times new folks to the wire ask for vendor advice.  Does this mean we may no longer suggest our favorites?  Should we no longer praise good workmanship?  Many of the vendors are also top contributors to the game.  What's wrong with positive recognition?

While multiple posts praising a particular vendor are a bit tedious to wade through, I believe it is beneficial to new, and even some older, members to steer them in the right direction for products and repairs.

Even if there was a section that listed vendors, the best way to pick one is through the testimonials of customers.  

I find nothing wrong with similar posts.

There doesn't need to be a number cut off, these type posts are usually self limiting without becoming a commercial post.  We've had them for years without a problem.

There are numerous posts that become tedious after a while.  That doesn't mean they should be locked as they are obviously important to some folks.

While there could be an exception, there are plenty of cowboys who will call BS on a bogus vendor or post.  I don't believe in fixing something that isn't broken.

If you edit every post that says you have to do xxxxxx to be competitive, you will have created quite a workload for yourself.  An example is the poor man's action job post.  

I don't have all the answers.  I wish it could be all cut and dried but when dealing with the human condition, tolerance of these kinds of posts makes sense to me.  If it becomes a true commercial post, then it is time for moderator action.

With the caveat that Phantom pointed out, I must agree in general with this.  I ran a FidoNet connected BBS back before the Internet, so I know from experience that moderating ain't easy, but we have to keep from going overboard.

For the record - in no way was my particular post about Doc Noper's work making the implication "(he was) better than all the others and/or that you'd be a fool to use anyone else". 

Glad to see The Wire reversed course on my post though. Many thanks for that.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

11 hours ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

For the record - in no way was my particular post about Doc Noper's work making the implication "(he was) better than all the others and/or that you'd be a fool to use anyone else". 

Glad to see The Wire reversed course on my post though. Many thanks for that.

Just an fyi... Not that it really matters, but I thought your post was fine. And it looks like the moderators agreed.

Remember folks, the moderators are volunteers for an impossible position.

Phantom

20 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Just an fyi... Not that it really matters, but I thought your post was fine. And it looks like the moderators agreed.

Phantom

Understood - thanks Phantom.

I thought if you did not like to read on or about something ,

You just dont click on it ?

Its pretty simple .

I cant stand whats the call post .

I just dont open and read them .

Its more or less the same thing .

If you dont like someones service or a product they make .

Dont go back and open that post again .

Rooster 

12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

I heard they secretly get 100K a year and full retirement after 5 years!:o

1 hour ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I thought if you did not like to read on or about something ,

You just dont click on it ?

Its pretty simple .

I cant stand whats the call post .

I just dont open and read them .

Its more or less the same thing .

If you dont like someones service or a product they make .

Dont go back and open that post again .

Rooster 

I don't read WTC posts either unless they include something in the subject line that piques my interest.   Giving it a subject line with nothing more than "WTC" should induce an electric shock through the keyboard.  <_<

14 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

image.gif.a33a4c0de646e4ee3ad46618cbc65aa1.gif

I’m very new to the game of cowboy shooting. I’ve learned a lot by reading the WTC posts. Agree that if you aren't Interested in a post, just don’t read it. 

I guess CC ought to rename this post, "Should We Ban WTC!"

Heck no,  I enjoy seeing how many penalties some of our folks would heap on our hapless shooters!

:blink:

The last time that I can remember that even if a vendor's name was mentioned was back in the early 2000's - Chisler had it in for Big Ed Douglas.  He deleted the posts like a mad man and it got to the point there were members put on probation with any post containing the words ... Big Ed Douglas

BTW, Ed made real quality leather

Subsequent vendor posts - I have no issue with them.  Folks are proud to own their products and strut by posting so

4 minutes ago, Arkansas Jim 107095 said:

Point taken. I’ll try to stay on post topics better in the future. Please choke it up to rookie error. 

No, you misunderstand me.  I like WTC posts.  I learn a lot from them and look forward to them.  It's just that the original title of the post refers to a situation that was already resolved.  

Hang it there, and like Shooting Bull says, "don't try to understand SASS", our humor oft goes sideways or around in circles!

On with the WTC's!

7 minutes ago, John Boy said:

The last time that I can remember that even if a vendor's name was mentioned was back in the early 2000's - Chisler had it in for Big Ed Douglas.  He deleted the posts like a mad man and it got to the point there were members put on probation with any post containing the words ... Big Ed Douglas

BTW, Ed made real quality leather

Subsequent vendor posts - I have no issue with them.  Folks are proud to own their products and strut by posting so

Yep, he did do high quality work... when he got it out to you.  I'm still out several hundred from work that never got done.  Even after years of talking to him and his wife, when he was still in business.   But, he's passed on, and lesson learned.

i Also like WTC posts, but you were correct. I was off topic. I have been reading the wire for several months and enjoy the humor very much. Finally got set up to where I can post. Folks can poke fun and usually no offense take. Well not to much any way.  Have a great one, back to mowing 

7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I hate WTC posts, makes me think too hard!!:P

We usually have WTC after Rye shoots a stage.... "Now what did he do??"...:D

Yep, he did do high quality work... when he got it out to you.  I'm still out several hundred from work that never got done.

McCandless - yep he had a history especially when he lost his skilled laborers  and he got sick with just him and his wife

Flip side of the coin ... have 3 Big Ed rigs and longest time to receive was 3 months.

My favorite, a double Slim Jim rig ...

rightholster.jpg

32 minutes ago, Buckaroo Bubba said:

We usually have WTC after Rye shoots a stage.... "Now what did he do??"...:D

That's cause I'm so fast you can't follow it!!:P

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I hate WTC posts, makes me think too hard!!:P

I thought I smelled something burning.:P

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

McCandless - yep he had a history especially when he lost his skilled laborers  and he got sick with just him and his wife

Flip side of the coin ... have 3 Big Ed rigs and longest time to receive was 3 months.

My favorite, a double Slim Jim rig ...

rightholster.jpg

Oooooh pretty!!

I remember several years back when a particular Leather maker was being idolized on the wire. It seemed to become a game, or some sort of a challenge to the guys promoting the maker. They would go on at length, and inject it into every post that they could. The maker was indeed a good fellow, right up until he stiffed a lot of folks. Taint nuthin wrong with telling folks that you like someone's product... tell em, and then just move on. Oh, by the way, I really like Missouri Marshal's Loading Blocks. I really like Missouri Marshal's Loading Blocks. I really like Missouri Marshal's Loading Blocks. I really like Missouri Marshal's Loading Blocks. I really like Missouri Marshal's Loading Blocks. I really like Missouri Marshal's Loading Blocks. I really like Missouri Marshal's Loading Blocks. I really like Missouri Marshal's Loading Blocks. I really like Missouri Marshal's Loading Blocks. BUMP... sorry, the keyboard got stuck.

Snakebite ;)

Archived