SASS Wire Forum

Viable Sweep?

McCandless

I'm just practicing this in the back yard, and wondered if this would be a viable shooting pattern for a match, or if it's too complicated.

My idea was to give me a bit of practice shooting near and far, and to make myself think a little. The purpose is not to slow shooters down.  I hate that concept.

R/P2        R/P3        R/P4         R/P5

R/P1 

Table

Sequence is:  with rifle -  R/P1 - R/P3 - R/P4 - R/P5,  R/P2 - R/P3 - R/P4, R/P2 - R/P3 - R/P 1.  Either direction.

Repeat with Pistol.

Thoughts?

Alot of our older folks at my club would not be able to remember the sequence.
I would not write this for our monthly shoot

I would write something different for this target array

Like shoot the front target, double-tap sweep the back 4 targets, shoot the front target again

--Dawg

3 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Alot of our older folks at my club would not be able to remember the sequence.
I would not write this for our monthly shoot

I would write something different for this target array

Like shoot the front target, double-tap sweep the back 4 targets, shoot the front target again

--Dawg

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.  Some of the stuff I set up for myself isn't always match material.

Appreciate it

Duc

Instead of designating every shot, start with middle target (R/P1), then inside targets (3/4 or 4/3), then outside targets (2/5 or 5/2). Then inside targets (3/4 or 4/3), followed by outside targets (2/5 or 5/2) and ending with middle target (R/P1).

In other words; middle, inside, inside, outside, outside, then inside, inside, outside, outside, middle.

1 hour ago, McCandless said:

I'm just practicing this in the back yard, and wondered if this would be a viable shooting pattern for a match, or if it's too complicated.

My idea was to give me a bit of practice shooting near and far, and to make myself think a little. The purpose is not to slow shooters down.  I hate that concept.

R/P2        R/P3        R/P4         R/P5

R/P1 

Table

Sequence is:  with rifle -  R/P1 - R/P3 - R/P4 - R/P5,  R/P2 - R/P3 - R/P4, R/P2 - R/P3 - R/P 1.  Either direction.

Repeat with Pistol.

Thoughts?

McCandless:

If this type of practice is what you are looking for, I would like to shoot it as:

5afc8079efc65_Shootingsequence-Rifle.JPG.73a7566754f3a8e4ac0e7953b4c03be3.JPG

Rifle:    R/P1 ...  R/P2 ... R/P1 ... R/P3 ... R/P1 ... R/P4 ... R/P1 ... R/P5 ... R/P1 (Double Tap)

5afc80a1a6e47_ShootingSequence-Pistol.JPG.2c96c7c4c8f7ff256af4f5c1056a6972.JPG

1st PistolR/P1 ...  R/P2 ... R/P1 ... R/P3 ... R/P1

2nd Pistol:   R/P1 ... R/P4 ... R/P1 ... R/P5 ... R/P1

If this sequence doesn't exist yet, I'd like to name it the

"Statue of Liberty" sweep.*

5afc81dbd6ce3_StatueofLiberty.thumb.jpg.e9d9c3e3f3d40260ad968d7fea190ec2.jpg     

* 5afc87855b8ba_Copyrightsymbol.jpg.1b48765562a63d82c3e55c28d3ec2fcb.jpg5afc878b08197_PatentPending.png.7793705cf128e9812b0a23aacac02089.png:P

9 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

McCandless:

If this type of practice is what you are looking for, I would like to shoot it as:

Rifle:    R/P1 ...  R/P2 ... R/P1 ... R/P3 ... R/P1 ... R/P4 ... R/P1 ... R/P5 ... R/P1 (Double Tap)

"Statue of Liberty" sweep.

5afc81dbd6ce3_StatueofLiberty.thumb.jpg.e9d9c3e3f3d40260ad968d7fea190ec2.jpg     

Dang Kit. I came up with that very sequence, probably at the same time you did. Cool! :D

By the way, I think your idea is absolutely AWESOME, stupendous, fantastic!. ;)

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Dang Kit. I came up with that very sequence, probably at the same time you did. Cool! :D

Pat:

All I can say is.... 5afc85a6ac9a9_GreatMindsThinkAlikeMEME.jpg.ffdb2f5c96397afa02d3a5bdf5324201.jpg..;)

48 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Or just load 9 in the rifle and end with a single tap to R/P1

8 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Or just load 9 in the rifle and end with a single tap to R/P1

Chief Rick:

That would eliminate the hesitation and possible "P" when the shooter tries to determine if he is suppose to shoot one of the distant targets next.

Thanks.

Note: I'll compensate McCandless for the layout idea, you for the modification upgrade and an honorable mention to Pat for effort. :P:D

I think the original is just fine,,,  some people can P on two sweeps of 5,,, I know!

I will simplify it, we have some new shooters and I don't want to have them flummoxed....  Fairly easy to modify a number of ways.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Both rifle and pistol-2 rnds on each target.

Are the back targets, close enough for SG??

If so-1 rnd on each........

OLG

I left the shotgun targets out of the description just for simplicity, they'd be added in to the final draft.

I finished writing the match,  Simplifed.  Three stages only a little more complex, alternated with three nice and easy stages.  

Thanks

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Shot that sweep at the Bear Creek Volunteers last Saturday

any thing new can be a P trap,,,  just think them thru,,,  

17 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

McCandless:

"Statue of Liberty" sweep.*

We shoot some variation of these reasonably regularly.  The 2nd one was featured at the CA State Match a few weeks ago.

Doc

2 hours ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

I don't care for it.  This is supposed to be a shooting contest, not a memory test.

This is just one of my own backyard practice runs.  I see there's about a dozen ways to simplify it, if it were to make it to a match.

Yer, right.  I wouldn't want to make it into a memory test.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

"P" trap.

The last thing I'd want to do is to make a scenario that would cause multiple Ps.  

Like I said, this is just my own backyard practice.  Looks like there may be a dozen

ways to simplify it for a match.

Appreciate the input!

3 hours ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

Looks more like mental gymnastics rather than cowboy action!

BlackfootB)

Thanks!  I guess this made it out of the back yard it would probably just become a 4 target descending sweep.

1-2-3-4, 1,2,3  1-2, 1  or   P-1-2-3, P-1-2, P-1, P

~Duc~

My only criticism would be having the same targets for both rifle and pistol.  Makes the Rifle too close, or the pistol too far.  

If it takes more than a few seconds to remember the sequence it's probably not a good sweep. I enjoy crossword puzzles but not when I'm shooting.

I don't really understand the need for folks to have a sweep named after themselves, they could just call it the "narcissistic" sweep. I feel many of these sweeps  are written by folks that were the last kids picked for the kick ball team when they were in elementary school. Keep it simple!;)

1 hour ago, Assassin said:

If it takes more than a few seconds to remember the sequence it's probably not a good sweep. I enjoy crossword puzzles but not when I'm shooting.

I don't really understand the need for folks to have a sweep named after themselves, they could just call it the "narcissistic" sweep. I feel many of these sweeps  are written by folks that were the last kids picked for the kick ball team when they were in elementary school. Keep it simple!;)

Agree.  This was just something I was kicking around with for myself in the backyard.  Like you said, keep it simple.  Not every bright idea in the backyard, translates well to a match.

Archived