SASS Wire Forum

Doc Noper - great leathersmith

Doc Noper made my leather rig some years ago - it still is fantastic. My younger brother gave me a KBAR so I asked Doc to work up a sheath to match. He did a great job. Sure the KBAR is not "period correct', but I like it. THANKS DOC!

Cowboy action.jpg

Doc is great. Both my wife and i received new leather from him this year.  I had a few tweaks I wanted done to fit my style of shooting better.  I was previously using a set by him but had a few ideas how I could make them faster for me.  He did it perfectly with no fuss about a one off holster.    My wife shoots b western and ordered a new rig. He didn't have guns like hers but tried to make a set.   When we got them he wanted to know how they worked.  Well they were a little loose in the barrel but definitely better than her old rig.  We were happy with them.    Two weeks later we came home to find new holsters that were perfect.  He re made them and tweaked the pattern a little without us knowing or saying anything.  

We were fans before but after this our family will never buy anywhere else as long as he is in business...

Ps oh yeah my new rig cut off about a second per stage. I'm happy. 

Doc is the best. Outstanding quality. He always is willing to help. He is a huge supporter of CAS/SASS and always donates several hundred dollars in products and services to our state match and other matches. Plus he is a major part if my set up crew for the stare match. A fine loyal friend and family man who doesen’t just talk the talk he walks the walk. 

My SG rig is a Doc Noper and I love it.   Its a few year old but its quality is so well made that it still serves me perfect, and I have used in exclusively during these past few years.

..........Widder

Thanks everyone for liking the sheath that Doc made. Indeed there are many top shelf leathersmiths involved with cowboy action shooting .  Reckon I am blessed that this one lives only five minutes away :D

GG

actually his work is too good,  I've had a sg belt for at least 8 yrs now,,,

my Kirkpatrick rig is 12,, a testament to two excellent products

leather is often overlooked as essential improvements in SASS,,,  buy the best you can afford, it wont be regretted

I've heard that with elastic loops you can kinda rip them out instead of pull them from the top. Not sure if there is a competitive advantage to doing this? Would love to hear about it before I make the leap. I have one sg belt with leather and one with canvas loops don't feel the difference between the two.

Rafe

I have both elastic and canvas shotgun belts.  The elastic is faster to pull from but you need to be a little more careful with how you move.   I turn/ move faster than most and was dropping shells on every stage even with them bottomed out on the shelf. 

I went to the canvas and love it. Very fast retrieval yet more retention 

I need to buy my first shotgun belt.  I've looked at a coupla dozen sites and all sorts of configurations.  I am confused!  I don't know what the heck I want let alone what I need.   There is almost TOO much choice out there.  I'm going to have to go off to a couple of more matches and stare at people's midsections?  Going to ask a bunch of inane questions, and probably buy the wrong thing.

Uf dah!

I have numerous leather shotgun belts from two or three fine makers but year or so ago I had Doc Noper built me one of the elastic model (he is excellent to work with one's ideas).  I wanted pairs but actual single loops so that is what he made.  Idea was fine with slight gap between each of singles within pair then little more gap between the pairs.  What i found was that having the habit of pulling up with leather filtered over  with this belt and I found that slight resistance to bit me sometimes.  I think with practice I would have improved and perhaps mastered that "ripping out" advantage.  It was prime shooting time so I went back to leather and never gave it much more of a chance.  I am currently thinking of trying webbing loops on belt which I understand is nice and has a slick inside grip.

I might mention that, IMO,  if a shooter is fairly new in the game and after their first belt, elastic might be an excellent choice.  As the shooter is learning to be more efficient in shooting they will be learning to master the elastic belt's advantages.  I think the idea of being able to just bend those shells out (ripping) is unique.

wow - some fantastic leather , maybe one day ..............

i like your KBar , i have a WWII vintage my father in law brought back from VN , its too nice to sit in the case all the time - not so mint as yours , but well worn benen there done that version , i think it might get some air now if i had the right scabbard , im not getting younger and it deserves to see daylight , what a great thought , thanks , 

Archived