SASS Wire Forum

WANT TO RIDE A STEAM ENGINE

Ok fellas and gals I don't know how many times I have read here of the desire to ride a real steam powered 19th century passenger train in full wild west regalia.  Well here's the chance.  The Wahsatch Desperados (a Utah club) Match Sept. 20 - 22  highlight will be 90 fun filled minutes aboard the Heber Creeper the real deal.   On September 21st after a catered sit down dinner at the passenger depot we all will board the train pulled by either a Baldwin 0-6-0 or a Baldwin  2-8-0 with three coaches full of cowboys.  So get your buttons and bows and come join us information on the Wahsatch Desperados wweb site. 

This sounds great. We did the same thing in the summer of 03 in Durango. CO.  The Durango Kid (SASS #8) put on a terrific shoot and it culminated on the steam Train from Durango to Silverton, CO. The Kid and several others, attacked the train 3 miles south of the Silverton station on horse back and "Robbed" all the passenders on the Train. (prior to leaving Durango, we all bought "Wooden Dollars for charity)  This is what the Kid's gang collected near Silverton. After two hours with about 40 of us in a big Silverton Saloon, the ride back to Durango was some kind of fun!  Great times.  Durango Kid is now RIP.

Cheers  Hoss C.

If you can afford it the train from Williams to Grand Canyon runs a steamer one day a month up and back.  The Elks Opera House Guild is still trying get a trip locked down.

If you get the right trick turned you can go up, stay the night at GC and come back the following day.

Sure hope we can pull it off.

BTW, I've ridden the Heber Creeper several times whan I still lived up In Logan and there used to be areally fantastic rental horse ranch with tours and self-guided rides.  Last time I was there was in 1968 just before I went to 'Nam.

Howdy,

One of my most fun times was sitting at the controls of a steam powered tractor.

A friend in the destruction bidnezz had rebuilt it from out of a junk pile.

He took parts to Canada to trade for parts he needed and when coming back

there was a big fuss about customs and the value of the junk parts coming in to the us.

Finally the word trade sunk in and they were marked and allowed back into the us.

I got to drive the monster while he worked on some adjustments.

HUGE power, too much fun.

Right up there with shooting a gat.

Best

CR

9 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Wow..that sounds cool Reb..is that just this year  ?

Yes it is Mohawk, hope you can come.

Yep .Remember those rides Hoss.The First time the sherrif of Silverton wouldn't let us wear our guns.The next time we were alowed.

The tourist sure did like that . Durango Kid sure did know how to set things up.It helped that his wife was one of the higher-ups at the train station.

Largo 

If we ever get to move back out to Colorado, you better believe we will!

Archived