SASS Wire Forum

Common Sense?....LOL

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

There's a sign on a four-lane bridge in Elyria.
It warns to watch for ice on roadway.

I considered the wisdom of having this displayed in the middle of August ... or the other non winter months, for that matter.

Just for grinskis and gigglers I threatened to throw a sack of ice on the pavement and take a picture of it, possible traffic hazard right under the sign ... 

4 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

I considered the wisdom of having this displayed in the middle of August ... or the other non winter months, for that matter.

They used to hinge those signs so they could fold them up and hide them during warm weather. But I think budget cuts forced them to lay off the guy whose job it was to go open and close the signs every Spring and Fall.

I saw a saw recently that said "Hill Blocks View". I am thinking "No %$#& Dick Tracy".

Yesterday I saw a permanently mounted road sign on a road in the Mt Hood Nat'l Forest that said "ICE". It was near a large campground. I wondered how many people have been upset to round the turn and find no place to buy ice.

Most roads, where I live, are humped. The center is higher than the edges, causing rainwater to drain off.

There are s few roads, however, that not only aren't humped, but are dipped. And when it rains, they hold water.

There's one over by my alma mater. I'd drive it every day going home. Had a sign - WATER ON ROAD DURING RAIN.

Well - duh.

Then one day, it had been raining all day, I go around the curve and hit standing water, six to eight inches deep, that stretched about three blocks.

Fortunately I had a Ford, so I just had wet brakes and couldn't stop.  

Lots of drowned Chevys on the side of that road.

My GMC has a PCM mounted where all that water gets too it. That little box controls EVERYTHING> Shuts down in a hurry. 

Archived