SASS Wire Forum

Something to know with the warn weather

Image may contain: flower, text and nature

I agree!

Wholeheartedly, entirely, completely and absolutely, not necessarily in that order!

(Wasp sting allergy here, the guys at work will stop me and thump me on my empty shirt pocket if I come out of the locker room without the EpiPen sticking out bold and yellow against the dark blue uniform shirt and say "Hey, dim bulb, where's your lifesaver?")

I have to carry them too, sting allergy here as well.

Around here you have to watch for the ground hornets  I killed one that got in the mud room yesterday. It’s was almost 2 1/2 inches in length. I understand their sting is really bad

One of the few things I miss from California are those huge, black, slow moving bumble bees that just meander around being pleasant.  Some folks are terrified of them because they are so big.

Here we have gigantic critter called a "tarantula hawk".  Don't see them often and they aren't aggressive unless you're a spider of if you hurt them in some way.

7 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Here we have gigantic critter called a "tarantula hawk".  Don't see them often and they aren't aggressive unless you're a spider of if you hurt them in some way.

Tarantula Hawks will bother you if you are rock climbing. I guess they think you are a big spider. :lol:

I was never stung though.

48 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Around here you have to watch for the ground hornets  I killed one that got in the mud room yesterday. It’s was almost 2 1/2 inches in length. I understand their sting is really bad

Cicada killer? Nasty lookin things. We got rid of the sandbox when they moved in. Cant hit them with a pellet like worked on the cats.

I got stung twice yesterday by something that flew up the sleeve of my motorcycle jacket. It must have been a wasp. I only have 2 little red welts on my shoulder. After the first sting I could feel it moving around and as was pulling over he got me again. I pulled over, unzipped my jacket, lifted the jacket on my shoulder area and it apparently flew away. I never saw it. It still tingles a little this morning. 

I have to watch out for them nasty 's when mowing at the sewer plant. They tend to build nests in the ground around the tanks. we also get a lot of hornet nests in thieves of the buildings. Got nailed twice my first year down there. Had a nest built in the gutter which we didn't see, and when restacking block against the building, the vibration set them off:wacko::(:blush:

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

One of the few things I miss from California are those huge, black, slow moving bumble bees that just meander around being pleasant.  Some folks are terrified of them because they are so big.

I've got a couple of them around here and they're always welcome at the butterfly bush out front.

When I was a kid one would always come and investigate the lawn mower when I was cutting the grass. That went on for about 3 years. I don't know if it was the same one each year. When I got to a certain part of the yard, near the hollyhocks, it'd come over and fly alongside the mower engine for a minute, then fly away. I got over my hear of bees because of that.

6 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

BUT,  they are unable to fly, Mr. Rod. 

Archived