Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

John Wayne Category


El Hombre Sin Nombre

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Nothing against the Duke but will this lead to a Tom Selleck, Sam Elliot, Robert DuVall, Tommy Lee Jones categories??

Just what we need another category! :o

 

QUIGLEY!!!  :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the "Colt Single Action Army" revolvers The Duke used were actually copies made by Great Western.  Such was the case with "The Shootist"

The large loop lever was used in 5 of his movies, but he used the regular lever more often.

He also used a Winchester '94 a couple of times, a Gatling Gun (cool!!), a pepperbox, an 1866, a Springfield 1873 Carbine, an 1851 Navy, an 1860 Army... the possibilities are endless!

 

You might try having folks choose a character from one of his movies and have to only use the guns that he used in that movie. :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fine...if the interest is there...go for it. Reasonable position.

 

Let me ask you this. At what point would there be too many categories for you?

 

Phantom

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

34 minutes ago, hearsedriver said:

Where does one get a large loop lever for a 92?

 

Nate Kiowa Jones probably has them

http://store.stevesgunz.com/

Look in his store

--Dawg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Are you kidding? I’m trying to create a category where I don’t have to compete against you haha 

Not hardly Pilgrim!

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the stages needs to be where you serve a writ to a rat, then shoot at rat-shaped targets. You get extra points if you bring a stuffed cat named the General with you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

That's fine...if the interest is there...go for it. Reasonable position.

 

Let me ask you this. At what point would there be too many categories for you?

 

Phantom

 

Depends on how you look at it.  From the perspective of playing a game and having fun, I can't imagine hitting a limit.  That wouldn't come until they decide to cancel the basic categories and force us to sign up in a fancy one.  From the perspective of big matches and awards, I think we've already passed that point.  I don't like going to an annual and placing first in a field of 1 because the other gunfighters are all using black powder or wearing purtier clothes. 

 

That horse is already out of the barn. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Nothing against the Duke but will this lead to a Tom Selleck, Sam Elliot, Robert DuVall, Tommy Lee Jones categories??

Just what we need another category! :o

And how exactly does any of that affect you? Since they’re unofficial, there’s no awards so you don’t have to sit through that. It’s at club level so you’ll probably never see it, but if you do so what? You might see someone shooting guns you don’t see everyday? Does that affect you or your shooting experience? I never understand the whole “there’s too many categories” argument when it’s realky a nonissue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also don't think one of the stages can end until a shooting partner (La Boeuf) shoots an 1874 Sharps Carbine and rings a distant target, thereby saving Cogburn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

That's fine...if the interest is there...go for it. Reasonable position.

 

Let me ask you this. At what point would there be too many categories for you?

 

Phantom

There's too many now!!!:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

And how exactly does any of that affect you? Since they’re unofficial, there’s no awards so you don’t have to sit through that. It’s at club level so you’ll probably never see it, but if you do so what? You might see someone shooting guns you don’t see everyday? Does that affect you or your shooting experience? I never understand the whole “there’s too many categories” argument when it’s realky a nonissue. 

Too many categories makes the awards after the match too long and pretty ridiculous when there's categories with only one or two. More categories will only add to this so it IS AN ISSUE!  You can dress like JW if you want and shoot in a bunch of different categories anyway! What exactly is the point of another category!

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

And how exactly does any of that affect you? Since they’re unofficial, there’s no awards so you don’t have to sit through that. It’s at club level so you’ll probably never see it, but if you do so what? You might see someone shooting guns you don’t see everyday? Does that affect you or your shooting experience? I never understand the whole “there’s too many categories” argument when it’s realky a nonissue. 

I agree with the club level point...do what the members want.

 

But saying you can't understand the argument against more categories is perplexing. Many times folks have explained the difficulties of handling awards at SASS sanctioned matches/Club annuals. Which categories to recognize if not all,  providing awards...trying to get through the awards ceremony in a reasonable amount of time...combating the "Participation Award" situation. There are LOTS of reasonable arguments against more categories.

 

Phantom

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Too many categories makes the awards after the match too long and pretty ridiculous when there's categories with only one or two. More categories will only add to this so it IS AN ISSUE!  You can dress like JW if you want and shoot in a bunch of different categories anyway! What exactly is the point of another category!

 

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I agree with the club level point...do what the members want.

 

But saying you can't understand the argument against more categories is perplexing. Many times folks have explained the difficulties of handling awards at SASS sanctioned matches/Club annuals. Which categories to recognize if not all,  providing awards...trying to get through the awards ceremony in a reasonable amount of time...combating the "Participation Award" situation. There are LOTS of reasonable arguments against more categories.

 

Phantom

That’s why I started the original post with it’s an unofficial category only. Does anyone really think it would evolve into an official one? If so, how many years would it take? Outlaw has been around a very long time and it’s unofficial. No awards given out at eot or wr to the best of my knowledge. How about steam punk? Josey Wales? Etc. if John Wayne ever becomes an official category it would either have to be so many years that many folks objecting will not be playing the game any longer, or so popular the dissenters voices would be drowned out anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind that I just joined a few months ago, so I have not yet learned all the categories. In my way of thinking something like this should be reserved for special JW western themed shoots to be held on the fifth Saturday of the month*. Then everything about the event could be related to the movies. You could really make it fun by giving extra points to folks that assumed the persona and clothing style of someone in the JW movies. It seems like you could even have teams. Like for True Grit, you could Cogburn, La Boeuf, and Mattie Ross. Or you could have Cogburn and Eula Goodnight, or even teams of the bad guys. It sure sounds like it could be fun if folks went along with the spirit of the game.

 

I say the fifth Saturday because generally nothing is planned at some ranges on the few times a year that a month has five Saturdays. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just shoot classic cowboy and you're there, we don't need any more categories.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it . 

I would say Hammered shotguns .

Like the Duke called his Greener's

Sound like a Great Category to me

 

IMG_20160704_215644.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Just shoot classic cowboy and you're there, we don't need any more categories.

Except the 92. That’s pretty much the point

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Except the 92. That’s pretty much the point

In all the JW movies he should have shot a 73 anyway! That's the only thing that bugs me about his movies especially the Searchers set in 1865!:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

 

And suspenders and don't fergit that red river belt buckle he liked later on.

 

Perhaps you are sortof redefining Classic cowboy?

What ??? he replied and I aint even posted yet.....

Best

CR

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

I just might put up a bit of gold dust fer a costume category like thatun.

Best

CR

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This just sounds like an over-thunk B-Western, with a few requirements and caveats. B-Western was specifically created to accommodate the characters of the Golden Age of Western cinema, which John Wayne was certainly a

part of.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No more categories please. This is getting bad as all of the spin-offs of the Socialist/Communist Party, catering and recognizing every little subset and ideology. One reason never mentioned for their failure is how splintered they’ve always been. OK, enough of the abstract tangents......

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it’s unofficial on a local level match who cares? We shoot Josey Wales unofficial and Outlaw and Stoveup cowboy and Steam Punk so if somebody wants to  dress like The Duke and pretend they’re him and have fun and not win a Cadillac so what? Matches on the next level you have to climb back in the box.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

But I’m all for a (favorite pin-up  girl here) category 

Nah they try that every August up at The Cowboys in Norco and it ain’t pretty. Some of those fellers have no business wearing short pants.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

Nah they try that every August up at The Cowboys in Norco and it ain’t pretty. Some of those fellers have no business wearing short pants.

Tranny-cowboys......ughhh......shiver......

Link to post
Share on other sites

All this grumbling about too many categories is rediculas. What are you all affraid of. Just stick to the SASS guidelines for sub categories. If you don't have enough to make the minimum, no category.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lead Monger said:

All this grumbling about too many categories is rediculas. What are you all affraid of. Just stick to the SASS guidelines for sub categories. If you don't have enough to make the minimum, no category.

What are the SASS official minimums???

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.