SASS Wire Forum

John Wayne Category

El Hombre Sin Nombre

13 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

For safety reasons, I would not have a rule which encourages a shooter to impair their vision. 

This is something that I hadn’t fully considered. While the eye patch was an optional rule, it’s stoll not something that should be encouraged for wear while shooting, or even walking around on many of the surface types in places we shoot. I pulled it off the option list. Thanks for bringing this up

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a supposed to be a fun discussion about a fun non-existent category that may get proposed, just for fun, maybe at one shooters club, just for the fun of it,  without any awards or accolades.  Please keep the discussion civil.

For the fun of it,

Eli

1 hour ago, Redwood Kid said:

This is something that I hadn’t fully considered. While the eye patch was an optional rule, it’s stoll not something that should be encouraged for wear while shooting, or even walking around on many of the surface types in places we shoot. I pulled it off the option list. Thanks for bringing this up

Ref: Post 16.

Ummm, I had to walk around one-eyed for awhile, just recently.   No thank you. 

no eye patch,,, liability factors

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

What are the SASS official minimums???

Minimum Entrant Category Mandates, page 10 of Shooters Handbook. 

Other than the Exempt Categories it takes 7 to have a Open Category and 3 to have a Ladies Category. 

Working within the rules JW Category would be easy to honor. Spin it off of Clasic Cowboy and allow a 92. It could be chipped off of B Western even easier if suspenders were allowed. Looks to me like this would make JW Category lagit. Any club can offer it if they want to and see what interest develops.

On 5/11/2018 at 4:20 PM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

If you must use a '92, then how can you use a  hollywood henry, which is a rifle also?

Also, I never saw JW use anything other then a hammered double, which should be a requirement, IMHO

40 caliber & above should not be an option, but a requirement, IMHO

JW never shot 2-handed in his Westerns, so duelist style only, IMHO

Yes, you will exclude a bunch of shooters who only like to go fast, but then, this is a special category for only the coolest of the cool!

I love your idea by the way!

--Dawg

Prairie Dawg, as Val Kilmer says in Tombstone, "I beg to differ sir!", in the Sons of Katie Elder, they are under the bridge getting shot at and John Wayne somehow comes up with 2 pistols after the middle brother is killid and starts shooting gunfighter style till he is empty and grabs a 92 Winchester. At least that's how I remember the scene. 

Thanks Redwood for coming up with this post!

On 5/12/2018 at 7:33 PM, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Just shoot classic cowboy and you're there, we don't need any more categories.

14 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

This just sounds like an over-thunk B-Western, with a few requirements and caveats. B-Western was specifically created to accommodate the characters of the Golden Age of Western cinema, which John Wayne was certainly a

part of.

Ok so getting back on track here, the purpose of this category is that neither the Classic Cowboy, nor the B Western will cover a true John Wayne category. He dressed mostly Classic Cowboy, and used the big ol' 45 colt (38-40 in earlier movies). But he also shot a 92 in most of the movies. So much so that it's become almost as iconic as the man himself. But he doesn't fit in B Western either, as he never wore anything overly flashy and wouldn't fit in there either. So this category becomes a sort of hybrid. It's really just a thought exercise to see if there is even interest at all, and there does appear to be some. So going forward, can we stop with the "there are too many categories already" and try to offer up some assistance in the creation of the category? If you aren't a fan, that's perfectly fine. Just move on to a different topic and post there. But if you want to add something of value then please continue with this. Special thanks to Smokestack and Phantom for pointing out a potential serious safety issue with the eye patch. I want to have fun with this, but safety must take priority. Thanks

Start it as is and some of the details will work themselves out as time goes by.

While I'm in the no-more-categories camp, there's nothing wrong with what you're doing...IMO.

Phantom

We used an eye patch many years ago while shooting off a fake horse. It was supposed to be a JW thing. There were no safety issues. Starting line was "fill you hand you SOB."

I'm not for adding categories, if your local club allows a JW category run with it.

Never saw JW reload a SG, or carry two pistols.

7 minutes ago, Assassin said:

We used an eye patch many years ago while shooting off a fake horse. It was supposed to be a JW thing. There were no safety issues. Starting line was "fill you hand you SOB.

I'm not for adding categories, if your local club allows a JW category run with it.

Never saw JW reload a SG, or carry two pistols.

Never? What about in The Shootist?

image.png.319602d9066388d58d893b20d23a1d7e.png

7 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

Never? What about in The Shootist?

image.png.319602d9066388d58d893b20d23a1d7e.png

Reckon I'm not a student of JW movie history.

I do recall him wearing a coon skin hat and shooting a muzzle loader.

If I can shoot my "Hollywood Henry" instead of a '92,  I'm in ('66 with a Henry barrel, wasn't easy to do either) Always thought CC should have been Blackpowder anyway.

8 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

If I can shoot my "Hollywood Henry" instead of a '92,  I'm in ('66 with a Henry barrel, wasn't easy to do either) Always thought CC should have been Blackpowder anyway.

I still want to see that gun

25 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

A '66 with a Henry barrel? So you can load it both through the '66's gate as well as the muzzle end of the Henry tube??

Damn, that's the HARD way to make a Hollywood Henry!

38 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Pictures???

I always thought a "Hollywood Henry" was a 92 painted gold/yellow and the forearm removed!!

It's 98% done(I hope!), still have to make a brass ammo tube follower.  Neither the Henry nor the '66 follower work, so I need to fire up the lathe and make one that does. 

On 5/12/2018 at 2:57 PM, hearsedriver said:

Where does one get a large loop lever for a 92?

On 5/12/2018 at 3:33 PM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Nate Kiowa Jones probably has them

http://store.stevesgunz.com/

Look in his store

--Dawg

Steve has been out of them for months. I check pretty much every day. Well I just checked again today and their back in stock. I ordered one right up.

Heck, Rye, anybody can do that. Takes a weird mindset to do it my way!

Speaking of large loop levers. I was in a gun store the other day, and the older employee was holding up a large lever style gun,  asking the younger one, " Ya know why these levers are larger , right?" And the younger one said, to wear with gloves. And the older

one said "Correct! Almost everyone gets that wrong". Now, I'm no expert, but I always thought these were a Hollywood invention. Am I wrong?

4 hours ago, Assassin said:

We used an eye patch many years ago while shooting off a fake horse. It was supposed to be a JW thing. There were no safety issues. Starting line was "fill you hand you SOB.

I don't see any safety issues wearing an eye patch, there a few shooters in Europe who like to pretend to be JW and wear eye patches, and I've shot with them,...almost of us close one eye anyway when shooting?:D Where's the difference?

But I'm in the 'no more' categories camp, as then there will be those wanting a Clint Eastwood, Glenn Ford, Jimmy Stewart etc.etc.categories too,where will it end. We have far too many now and award and things that take up time. If you wanna be JW, then be JW in all his forms, wear the same clothes, enter the costume contests as him, can even buy a big loop lever 92 pistol style thing and have that at the costume contests, but we don't need it as a SHOOTING CATEGORY???.

Classic Cowboy just about covers it and using a 92 won't see you running any fast times, unless you're Smokestack??

Sure, have some fun at your local club and others, and dress and live the hero.:) you'll probably win a Silver Screen award.

4 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Speaking of large loop levers. I was in a gun store the other day, and the older employee was holding up a large lever style gun,  asking the younger one, " Ya know why these levers are larger , right?" And the younger one said, to wear with gloves. And the older

one said "Correct! Almost everyone gets that wrong". Now, I'm no expert, but I always thought these were a Hollywood invention. Am I wrong?

No, you’re wrong. They made them with a big loop so that Smokestack could get three of his big fat fingers in the loop.

10 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

But is he wearing gloves? :)

No because if he had gloves on the loop would be to small.

21 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

You are correct Pilgrim. ;)

" Believe it or not, loop-levered Winchesters were never part of the Old West. Rather, it was Hollywood that made them popular. The first loop-levered Winchester appeared in the 1939 film “Stagecoach,” starring John Wayne, and director John Ford wanted his star’s entrance in this epic Western to be dramatic."

On 5/14/2018 at 1:32 PM, Redwood Kid said:

Ok so getting back on track here, the purpose of this category is that neither the Classic Cowboy, nor the B Western will cover a true John Wayne category. He dressed mostly Classic Cowboy, and used the big ol' 45 colt (38-40 in earlier movies). But he also shot a 92 in most of the movies. So much so that it's become almost as iconic as the man himself. But he doesn't fit in B Western either, as he never wore anything overly flashy and wouldn't fit in there either. So this category becomes a sort of hybrid. It's really just a thought exercise to see if there is even interest at all, and there does appear to be some. So going forward, can we stop with the "there are too many categories already" and try to offer up some assistance in the creation of the category? If you aren't a fan, that's perfectly fine. Just move on to a different topic and post there. But if you want to add something of value then please continue with this. Special thanks to Smokestack and Phantom for pointing out a potential serious safety issue with the eye patch. I want to have fun with this, but safety must take priority. Thanks

while not flashy, his early movies had him wearing b western shirts and rolled up jeans

5 hours ago, levi littleton said:

Sad.  Pretty sure that proves it.  SASS is on the down hill slide.

Sorry you're wrong.

Hell yes. He reloaded a shotgun in Big Jake and he carried two guns in The Shootist, one in a holster and one in the belt. C'mon guys, watch out for using the word "never" it will get you in trouble every time!

On 5/12/2018 at 3:26 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Just what we need another category!

IMHO there are too many categories already. Don't need another one.

36 minutes ago, Lawman Mays said:

IMHO there are too many categories already. Don't need another one.

I really wish people would read the entire thread before posting. In the very first post, I asked kindly to leave all of the "too many categories" comments out and only contribute if you had something to add to this unofficial category that has pretty close to zero chance of becoming a real category that anyone would ever have to deal with at their clubs or anywhere else for that matter. I get it. People don't want to sit through all the names being called at the awards celebration. But this is not one of those and merely a way for some folks that like John Wayne and want to have fun with it in this game (and let's remember that this is still just a game) to come up with some common way to play it. Nothing more.

1 hour ago, Redwood Kid said:

I really wish people would read the entire thread before posting. In the very first post, I asked kindly to leave all of the "too many categories" comments out and only contribute if you had something to add to this unofficial category that has pretty close to zero chance of becoming a real category that anyone would ever have to deal with at their clubs or anywhere else for that matter. I get it. People don't want to sit through all the names being called at the awards celebration. But this is not one of those and merely a way for some folks that like John Wayne and want to have fun with it in this game (and let's remember that this is still just a game) to come up with some common way to play it. Nothing more.

Pretty simple.

Archived