SASS Wire Forum

John Wayne Category

El Hombre Sin Nombre

Howdy all. It's been said many times on the wire that if you want a new category, start it up at your local club and see how it grows. So that's what I am doing. The following is my personal proposal for a John Wayne, the most iconic movie cowboy of all time, category. I am barely in the process of developing it, so feel free to make suggestions. This should be fun, so please refrain from comments on how we don't need another new category or how it's going to be "stoopid" and rather be constructive especially if this is something you would like to participate in. Thanks

Guns:

1892 rifle only

Any main match pistols (was contemplating Colts and clones only, no rugers, but have decided against it for now)

Any main match shotgun

Additionally must use one of the following:

Large loop lever

"Hollywood Henry"

Finger groove grips

40 cal and above

Black Powder

Must wear any one of the following clothing items:

Vest unbuttoned

Cavalry bib shirt

Chaps

Scarf/Bandana

So what do you all think? Remember this is an unofficial category to be used at local matches only similar to steampunk, Josey Wales, outlaw, etc.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Onliest comment I'm going to make is that if it's a SASS Affiliated club and you are going by SASS rules, the finger-groove grips are illegal.  If your club wants to break the rules to run this thing, then have at it.

How goes the hunt for more Colts?

1 minute ago, McCandless said:

Onliest comment I'm going to make is that if it's a SASS Affiliated club and you are going by SASS rules, the finger-groove grips are illegal.  If your club wants to break the rules to run this thing, then have at it.

How goes the hunt for more Colts?

I'm working on that. I have been putting together a rule change proposal. Uphill battle I know. Besides, clubs go around the rules all the time when experimenting with these new categories. Josey Wales for example. Rules state you must use one rifle, but they use four pistols (or five) instead. Some clubs allow four holsters because they don't have tables to stages long guns or have down range movement. There are quite a few others as well. It's gotta start somewhere right?

And still on the hunt for more colts. Looking for a full blue one currently, but without much luck. Thanks for asking.

If you must use a '92, then how can you use a  hollywood henry, which is a rifle also?

Also, I never saw JW use anything other then a hammered double, which should be a requirement, IMHO

40 caliber & above should not be an option, but a requirement, IMHO

JW never shot 2-handed in his Westerns, so duelist style only, IMHO

Yes, you will exclude a bunch of shooters who only like to go fast, but then, this is a special category for only the coolest of the cool!

I love your idea by the way!

--Dawg

Redwood:

I would add to the list of:

Eye patch (optional)

rooster-cogburn-hat-38_png.jpg.f7588130a65300612d1f43ae51a731d3.jpg

A Hollywood Henry is a 92 that has been modified to look like a Henry. Like this one

image.png.3b63c8ad3b3b0119d3d4a717ef9ed2c5.png

I was thinking about including all the other stuff you said as well, but I thought I would open it up a bit just because the rifle is so restrictive.

Besides, 40 cal and above, hammered double, and duelist style shooting are already in classic cowboy. I am trying to make a bit of a mix between classic cowboy and B Western. Sort of anyway

Just now, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Redwood:

I would add to the list of:

Eye patch (optional)

rooster-cogburn-hat-38_png.jpg.f7588130a65300612d1f43ae51a731d3.jpg

Great idea!

Redwood:

Another consideration, possibly down the road, once you have the category established, would be to have an ANNUAL event in which everyone participating MUST dress exactly alike say as Rooster Cogburn, and make it a best looking John Wayne contest just like in the Keys for Hemingway. :P

5af5fd3fa9bd2_ErnestHemingwayContest.thumb.jpg.a12471be9458d55048fb7050ae69c5bd.jpg

48 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

A Hollywood Henry is a 92 that has been modified to look like a Henry. Like this one

image.png.3b63c8ad3b3b0119d3d4a717ef9ed2c5.png

I was thinking about including all the other stuff you said as well, but I thought I would open it up a bit just because the rifle is so restrictive.

Besides, 40 cal and above, hammered double, and duelist style shooting are already in classic cowboy. I am trying to make a bit of a mix between classic cowboy and B Western. Sort of anyway

OK, My Bad......I always took it to be a '66 with the forearm removed.

I love Henry rifles, but once I saw the mag tube and the loading gate, I knew it wasn't a real Henry, & never looked all that closely at it.
Thanks for setting me straight!

--Dawg 

Why not Rugers? I could see no Montado hammers.

11 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

OK, My Bad......I always took it to be a '66 with the forearm removed.

I love Henry rifles, but once I saw the mag tube and the loading gate, I knew it wasn't a real Henry, & never looked all that closely at it.
Thanks for setting me straight!

--Dawg 

No worries. I used to think the same thing until someone else set me straight haha. This is a great category for folks wanting to use that 92 they have in their safe (everyone right?), but don't want to go full B Western.

2 minutes ago, Paako Hunter said:

Why not Rugers? I could see no Montado hammers.

Because they are not clones of anything that existed. Really no different than Henry Big Boys. But as I said, I decided against it and opted for more inclusiveness.

Sounds like a hoot to me. 40 cal and above. Duelist or gunfighter is all the Duke shoot so no two handed stuff. Loved his Greeners so hammered side-B-side is the shotgun. Extra points for "Bettsy" in your vest pocket and spurs should be required along with felt hat and cowboy boots.

1 hour ago, Lead Monger said:

Sounds like a hoot to me. 40 cal and above. Duelist or gunfighter is all the Duke shoot so no two handed stuff. Loved his Greeners so hammered side-B-side is the shotgun. Extra points for "Bettsy" in your vest pocket and spurs should be required along with felt hat and cowboy boots.

I like the Betsy in the pocket idea. So I am thinking of adding hammered double as one of the gun options. Maybe make it choose two and add the options of hammered double as well as duelist or gunfighter style.

2 minutes ago, LostVaquero said:

Would you have to shoot outlaw style?  I don't recall the Duke doing much aiming.

You wouldn't have to, but certainly allowed.

Howdy,

Just remember the more you restrict the fewer pards who will want in.

For instance if someone has all 38 or 357 and tuned and leather,

How are they going to redo all that for your JW class?

And remember you only get one chance to make a first impression.

Best

CR

ps After thinkn fer a bit, howsabout  Costume Contest not just another

shooting category?

of course anyone could start up a contest at any match, at least I think

they could.

17 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

An eye patch??? Really???

An eye patch may help us right-handed folks that have left eye dominance.:P

Do you get time taken off if you wear two eye patches?

How about this for a stage scenario?

Drink whiskey, fall out of your saddle, and then shoot corn dodgers that the TO has thrown in the air.

:D

16 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

I'm with ya in general Dawg, but in the final shootout with Lucky Ned Pepper, Rooster had a loaded gun in each hand and the reins held in his teeth!  :)

13 hours ago, LostVaquero said:

Would you have to shoot outlaw style?  I don't recall the Duke doing much aiming.

My thoughts as well. Dang Kid I may need a 92 :) 

25 minutes ago, John Henry Quick said:

I'm with ya in general Dawg, but in the final shootout with Lucky Ned Pepper, Rooster had a loaded gun in each hand and the reins held in his teeth!  :)

Sounds like a good stage to me, but not sure how to write that one. I'm pretty sure he had his rifle in his right hand and pistol in the other. 

2 minutes ago, The Bearded Wonder said:

Sounds like a good stage to me, but not sure how to write that one. I'm pretty sure he had his rifle in his right hand and pistol in the other.

OK, now I've got to find the disk and watch it again.  :D

20 minutes ago, John Henry Quick said:

Like we really need a reason to watch a JW movie again.

;)

Here's a Ruger that should be legal in your John Wayne category. 

serveimage (11).jpeg

serveimage (10).jpeg

1 hour ago, Tully Mars said:

My thoughts as well. Dang Kid I may need a 92 :) 

Are you kidding? I’m trying to create a category where I don’t have to compete against you haha 

17 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

1 hour ago, John Henry Quick said:

47 minutes ago, The Bearded Wonder said:

... I'm pretty sure he had his rifle in his right hand and pistol in the other.

44 minutes ago, John Henry Quick said:

25 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Like we really need a reason to watch a JW movie again.;)

WOW!  Wuz I wrong!  Rooster did have a rifle in one hand, so Dawg is vindicated.  :)

When people ask me for details about something that happened or was said long ago, I usually joke that I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday.  The positive aspect of my blunder is that I found an excuse to watch a movie I've only seen about 40 times in the last 50 years.  :D

So here ya have it, Redwood.  All stages should be shot with a revolver in one hand and an 1892 in the other, with a big loop and spinning it to cycle the gun.  Being mounted might be left optional...  :lol:

There's only one start line needed...

"Fill yore hand, you sonofab....!"

serveimage (15).jpeg

serveimage (13).jpeg

2 minutes ago, John Henry Quick said:

So here ya have it, Redwood.  All stages should be shot with a revolver in one hand and an 1892 in the other, with a big loop and spinning it to cycle the gun.  Being mounted might be left optional...  :lol:

Would that break the 170 rule?

Kinda a neat idea,

Shooter starts rifle in right hand pistol in left, ATB engage all four targets at least four times each alternating fire between rifle and pistols..........

Nothing against the Duke but will this lead to a Tom Selleck, Sam Elliot, Robert DuVall, Tommy Lee Jones categories??

Just what we need another category! :o

Definitely a Three Amigos category!

Archived