SASS Wire Forum

So what's an Hombre to do?

I need some help as to how to store all of my CAS items.

5af5c4b86c5f3_StuffedCloset.thumb.jpg.5d2afa7b18017769da1788479b1a2aa6.jpg

Currently most of my items are in our master bedroom closet.

My outfits are obviously hanging up.

My boots on the floor are under the clothes.

My hat is in a hat box, sitting on the floor.

The shelves of the wall dresser I built hold all my ammo, empty brass, gun cleaning supplies and other miscellaneous articles.

On the floor is an ammo box with my shotgun shells, and an NRA tote bag with miscellaneous other supplies.

My holsters are handing on a hanger.

My guns are in our locked storage room as we are shopping for a gun safe.

And my gun cart is in the garage.

There has to be a better way to take care of the miscellaneous items then to have them spread all over the closet.

Any suggestions or how you store them and where would be greatly appreciated.

You can do like I did.  Build a 16' x 24' air-conditioned workshop out back, with cable TV and refrigerator.  Shovel all your over-flow out there.  Once you fill that up, you can always build another!

12 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Throw out all the wife's crap.

That will be an excuse for her to go on a shopping binge to upgrade the crap you through out.  Thereby slashing your budget for new firearms, ammo & accessories.

Take over a spare bedroom for your reloading room.

Store everything in there and let the wife have the closet in the bedroom.

I feel your pain.  I'm not sure that its possible to get it all in one place.  I'm even going as far as to build a gun room on the back end of my huge master closet.  While that should easily hold the firearms and safe(s), leather and reloading/cleaning stuff, I will probably still have to store the cart in another room.  I was just telling the girlfriend the other day that I needed a modular style system.  One where I could load up the different things for the activities I have- fencing, CAS, maintenance/repair work, kayaking, camping -- in individual modules that could be loaded into/onto a vehicle with the push of a couple buttons.  She just shook her head and muttered something about "trying to do too much............".  What's a guy to do?????  

You don't mention a Basement.  You got a Basement??   I use to have a basement.  Now it's a big gun stuff room.  It needs to be bigger.  If your stuff  fits in your master closet, you obviously don't have enough stuff.  Get Busy.

I bought an Armoire to hold all my cowboy clothes, my regular clothes go in my closet. I built a horizontal hat rack with 15 posts that holds all our hats and mounted it on a wall in the family room. All our ammo gets stored in the garage with the reloading gear, along with our 2 guncarts.

Have a dedicated truck/van, Everything but guns stay. Enough ammo for 1 state and 4 monthly matches in it at all times. Parked in garage. Other half of garage has gun safe bolted to concrete, case cleaning station and reloading bench. Refrigerator, TV and microwave optional.

This is what I want.

What I have is more like what you describe.

7 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Take over a spare bedroom for your reloading room.

Store everything in there and let the wife have the closet in the bedroom.

That is what I did. Outgrew the closet. Went to half a room. Now it's overflowing into the hall. Wife makes rude comments sometimes. Good thing I'm going deaf.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Make that gunsafe, your #1 priority!

OLG

Buy one AT LEAST twice as big as you think you need. Three times is better.

Spare bedroom is what we did too.

If it has a bed and dressers in it, that's a waste of space. Bye bed and dressers.

Now you have the makings of your new John Wayne room.

BTW Anything frilly has to go too. WWJWD - what would John Wayne do?

Waimea

I bought a farm... now I have a shooting house and a reloading shed.... it helped that my mortgage payments are lower on the farm than the house we rented.   

We looked at a house on 5 acres last night. Has a heated office in a 24x40 pole building and a decent looking barn. Thinking on it. Getting our place ready to sell now.

12 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Buy one AT LEAST twice as big as you think you need. Three times is better.

I bought the biggest one that could be moved into the room.  I was playing with cardboard cutouts for days testing to see what would fit around the corners and through the doors.  It was over twice as big as I thought I needed.  That was nearly 4 years ago.  I'm currently contemplating a second one.  I've already had to move accessories out, like magazines and boxes.  Yesterday i started making plans for how i would divide up the guns if i was to get a second safe.  Trying to figure out if i want them to have the same combination too. 

45 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I bought the biggest one that could be moved into the room.  I was playing with cardboard cutouts for days testing to see what would fit around the corners and through the doors.  It was over twice as big as I thought I needed.  That was nearly 4 years ago.  I'm currently contemplating a second one.  I've already had to move accessories out, like magazines and boxes.  Yesterday i started making plans for how i would divide up the guns if i was to get a second safe.  Trying to figure out if i want them to have the same combination too. 

RG, you could just write the combination on the wall next to the safe. That way you wouldn’t have to worry about remembering it. :P

1 minute ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

RG, you could just write the combination on the wall next to the safe. That way you wouldn’t have to worry about remembering it. :P

I could make that work.  I'm terrible at remembering numbers, but I could remember a code and write the key on the wall.  Something to think about.  It'll have the added bonus of making would be crooks waste their time. 

RG, 

I actually have a code book I use to remember combinations and passwords and such. SWMBO thinks I am a little nutty, but she still has to ask me what her passwords are when she needs to sign back in to her devices.:D

Easy way to remember Safe combinations.

Think of a word that is at least 4 but preferably 6 characters long that means something to you but no one else knows. Now convert the letters using a telephone key pad.

Summer would decode to 78-66-37

Ruger can be 17-84-37 or 07-84-37 or 78-43-70 or 78-43-71

Blue can be 02-57-30 or 12-57-31 or other combinations.

You can also use the numbers in reverse or if you have more than 6 letters you can skip the first letters or the last ones or some in the middle.. 

3f6267f74cf77b1fa99e3025f84bc3e3

As you can see a little imagination can create all sorts of possibilities.  You can eve use a phrase and take letters from each word in the phrase. 

With multiple safes make each safe's code word related. That way each safe has a unique combination.

Get two huge safes that should last a lifetime, but will be filled up in less than two years.

Make sure spouse knows combination and can open both safes especially if you also store life insurance policies, wills, and other important papers.  I learned the hard way that I didn't know the right combinations and couldn't get to the documents I needed until I got instructions from the manufacturer which took a couple of weeks.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:52 PM, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

Make sure spouse knows combination and can open both safes especially if you also store life insurance policies, wills, and other important papers.  I learned the hard way that I didn't know the right combinations and couldn't get to the documents I needed until I got instructions from the manufacturer which took a couple of weeks.

As a locksmith, I see this problem all the time.  Probably the most important thing you can do with your significant other.  make sure they can open the safe!

Sedalia Dave ,,, Had a friend that had his written on a 3x5 file card folded in his wallet. Complaint was that he got tired going in his wallet every time he wanted to open the safe. During the bull session he was told to write it on the wall (tongue in cheek), he did like you advised, with mathematical progression , like 2 numbers up or down then 3 or 4. Said when he got it all figured out after the 1st or 2nd time opening the safes ,,,,,,,, he remembered all the combos in his mind. He said "s%&t" ,,, all that work for nothing. :rolleyes: Oh well.

Isom

PS

I'm not married ,,,,,,,, I put stuff where I feel like. :lol:

On 5/12/2018 at 7:16 AM, Ramblin Gambler said:

You could always just buy a used bank vault door and build a room....

33 minutes ago, Red Eye Jim said:

You could always just buy a used bank vault door and build a room....

My long term plan is to design my perfect house.  When I do it'll have a proper armory with a bank vault door.  My only concern is that if I do that, what would I do when the volume of guns inevitably expands to fill the available space?  With just a safe, it's a relatively straight forward solution.  Get another safe.  Building a bigger armory is much less straight forward.  Especially since I won't want the armory to have any outside walls. 

Archived