SASS Wire Forum

To my Brothers and Sisters in California, I mourn for you...

John Henry Quick

38 minutes ago, dannyd said:

Virginia may go that way sooner than you think and Florida also.

That is unfortunately very true.  I am an active member of the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) and we do not intent to let this happen without a fight.  Do you have a similar organization in Florida?

11 minutes ago, John Henry Quick said:

That is unfortunately very true.  I am an active member of the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) and we do not intent to let this happen without a fight.  Do you have a similar organization in Florida?

Well, it didn't happen in California without a fight.  The fight continues.  

11 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

It's not a California problem.  It's an urban problem. To think otherwise is... Well...yer stickin yer head in the proverbial sand.

Phantom

That's a fair enough statement.  Here in Virginia, we've had enough sway to get most, if not all, anti-gun bills shot down and we even got the Restaurant Ban repealed, but I fear that in the long run the growth of Northern Virginia (blue-staters fleeing their own hellholes and infecting our state) is going to overwhelm us.  Do you have any solutions? 

9 minutes ago, John Henry Quick said:

That's a fair enough statement.  Here in Virginia, we've had enough sway to get most, if not all, anti-gun bills shot down and we even got the Restaurant Ban repealed, but I fear that in the long run the growth of Northern Virginia (blue-staters fleeing their own hellholes and infecting our state) is going to overwhelm us.  Do you have any solutions? 

Shi.... Wish I did. All I can do is spout off about how it's not a California problem. Can't tell ya how many folks jump on me about being from California... Bringing California problems to their state.. like their state would be immune to the garbage that is happening in places like California. 

All they have to do is look at the changing attitudes within their own cities and they'll see the looming threat to their liberties.... But to many... It's easier and less scary to have a boogyman.

Phantom

PS: I know that you were not attacking Californians ;-)

2 hours ago, John Henry Quick said:

We have about the samething here in Florida but like Virginia things have been turned around.   Before 1964  the rual parts ruled the state ( Byrd Machine) and then it switched to the city's.  There's not many places in Virginia I haven't been.  My Grandpa's rode with General Ashby he was our cousin.  The town I grew up in changed hands 78 times they say :) 

I'm afraid the blue exodus from those States will eventually be a problem for all of us. I see it in AZ and I don't see it getting better. Unfortunately, those liberals who come here bring their ideas and belief's....and some of them vote. If you look at a map by election precinct or county its a vast sea of red. The blue places are urban areas because those types of people seem to be more citified. There's enough of them (blue spots) to be a problem at election time.

Not to derail the thread, but I'll point out something else; people's attitudes are changing. Y'all might have heard of several states, 172 'electoral votes worth it would seem who's State legislatures have enacted laws to require their electors to vote with the popular vote of the associated states completely negating the CONSTITUTIONAL electoral college. One would think that it would be obvious that such a law, made outside the legal framework already present to change the Constitution through a constitutional convention would be struck down by the courts.

One would think.

Apply that 'thinking" to the present issue. Worrysome.

I just returned from visiting my son in CA.  I had given him some firearms years ago when he was just a lad.  Now that he lives in CA I told him not to tell anyone he even has a firearm.

I am just grateful that I live in West Virginia.  Even our university mascot, the buckskinned Mountaineer carries a muzzle loader and fires it at all of the games.

1 hour ago, dannyd said:

r We have about the samething here in Florida but like Virginia things have been turned around.   Before 1964  the rual parts ruled the state ( Byrd Machine) and then it switched to the city's.  There's not many places in Virginia I haven't been.  My Grandpa's rode with General Ashby he was our cousin.  The town I grew up in changed hands 78 times they say :) 

You must be from Winchester!

The only solution I can think of is to swap the Virginia counties next to DC to Maryland for their Western counties. Then ban Yankees and liberals from settling in Ole Virginny.

8 hours ago, dannyd said:

We have about the samething here in Florida but like Virginia things have been turned around.   Before 1964  the rual parts ruled the state ( Byrd Machine) and then it switched to the city's.  There's not many places in Virginia I haven't been.  My Grandpa's rode with General Ashby he was our cousin.  The town I grew up in changed hands 78 times they say :) 

Winchester!  It not only has a unique Civil War history, but a very interesting history from the French and Indian War with Washignton's Headquarters and Fort Loudoun.  :D

6 hours ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

I just returned from visiting my son in CA.  I had given him some firearms years ago when he was just a lad.  Now that he lives in CA I told him not to tell anyone he even has a firearm.

I am just grateful that I live in West Virginia.  Even our university mascot, the buckskinned Mountaineer carries a muzzle loader and fires it at all of the games.

My stepfather has lived in Ridgecrest since about 1982 and (like I do) loves the California High Desert.  However, he wants to move because the politics have become more than he can stand.  Unfortunately, he and his wife (my mother is long passed) are both in their mid-80's and it's not easy to pick up and move at that age.

BTW, if you're not aware of it, there is a West Virginia Citizens Defense League (WVCDL) that was modeled directly on our VCDL.

6 hours ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

The only solution I can think of is to swap the Virginia counties next to DC to Maryland for their Western counties. Then ban Yankees and liberals from settling in Ole Virginny.

I have several friends in Cumberland and Frostburg - I wish it were part of Virginia!  ;)

5 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Hey, not everyone from New England is a gun hating liberal!

Some of them even do some good.  Philip van Cleave is from up there somewhere and he founded and is still president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL).  :)

13 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Shi.... Wish I did. All I can do is spout off about how it's not a California problem. Can't tell ya how many folks jump on me about being from California... Bringing California problems to their state.. like their state would be immune to the garbage that is happening in places like California. 

All they have to do is look at the changing attitudes within their own cities and they'll see the looming threat to their liberties.... But to many... It's easier and less scary to have a boogyman.

Phantom

PS: I know that you were not attacking Californians ;-)

Yep, California native myself. Whenever politics or social issues come up in that state I am always referring to the government (if my remarks seem disparaging) and urban areas that are insanely liberalized. The people (overall), geography, weather of California is top shelf.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

12 minutes ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

Yep, California native myself. Whenever politics or social issues come up in that state I am always referring to the government (if my remarks seem disparaging) and urban areas that are insanely liberalized. The people (overall), geography, weather of California is top shelf.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I am not a native, but I was stationed at Twentynine Palms 3 times and I loved it.  Some places there looked like something right out of Death Valley Days and I always enjoyed driving up through Lucerne Valley and Apple Valley on my way to Ridgecrest to visit my parents.  I left the last time in December 1989 and I've missed being there ever since. 

I poke fun at California all the time, but it is strictly directed at California politics, not the people or the place.

19 hours ago, John Henry Quick said:

Is Virginia covered by that District court that ruled that semi auto rifles aren't covered by the 2A, when MD was brought to court over their AWB?

19 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

It's not a California problem.  It's an urban problem. To think otherwise is... Well...yer stickin yer head in the proverbial sand.

Phantom

Yes, it is so said.  Reminds me of the times I went to U S Open in Sparta, IL.  I thought such a nice area, super facility, etc, etc...but soon I recognized, as others did, that the state control came from overwhelming voting population of Chicago.   Sign of the times, as they say, and I know, Phantom, that you are sure seeing it in Austin...our great state's capital.

1 hour ago, Cemetery said:

Is Virginia covered by that District court that ruled that semi auto rifles aren't covered by the 2A, when MD was brought to court over their AWB?

'Fraid so.  The 4th Circuit Court of Appeals is in Richmond and was packed by Obama.  Unfortunately, the majority opinion in Heller stated that while the ownership of handguns for defense inside the home was absolute, certain other, unspecified of course, restrictions are acceptable.  Based on that, I don't see the USSC overturning Maryland's semi-auto gun ban.  If I'm understanding all of this correctly, this places the burden of defending ownership of semi-auto's on a state-by-state basis...  :angry:

3 hours ago, John Henry Quick said:

'Fraid so.  The 4th Circuit Court of Appeals is in Richmond and was packed by Obama.  Unfortunately, the majority opinion in Heller stated that while the ownership of handguns for defense inside the home was absolute, certain other, unspecified of course, restrictions are acceptable.  Based on that, I don't see the USSC overturning Maryland's semi-auto gun ban.  If I'm understanding all of this correctly, this places the burden of defending ownership of semi-auto's on a state-by-state basis...  :angry:

My understanding that the 'common usage' part of the Heller/McDonald ruling negates this, but I don't know if that has been part of the plantiff's argument.  If not, why not, I'd like to know.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:56 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Hey, not everyone from New England is a gun hating liberal!

No, of course not. I shoot muzzle loaders in the North-South Skirmish Association and my unit, the 34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry, draws about half of its membership from the New England states and the rest of us are from Virginia and points south.

14 hours ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

No, of course not. I shoot muzzle loaders in the North-South Skirmish Association and my unit, the 34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry, draws about half of its membership from the New England states and the rest of us are from Virginia and points south.

Then why did you say we should be banned from relocation to Virginia?   :)

Some of us are actually kinda nice, in a weird sort of way.

On 5/10/2018 at 4:25 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

It's not a California problem....or a Virginia problem....or a New York problem.....IT'S A UNITED STATES OF AMERICA problem. Anyone that can read the Constitution and Bill of Rights knows EXACTLY what our Founding Fathers intended and......ALL THE ANTI-GUN LAWS everywhere in this country are ABSOLUTELY BEYOND A DOUBT UN-Constitutional.

I just wish there was someone with enough money and political power that could take this issue all the way to the supreme court and FORCE them to NULL and VOID all these UN-Constitutional laws once and for all time. Yes there is risk. Freedom is risky. Free Choice is risky. But better free and risky than being a peasant or a slave.

9 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The majority of our New England members have Southern ancestors. What I hate is folks that leave an area because they don't like something there. They comedown  south and then try to make it just like the place they left!!! Maybe we should issue visas and then monitor there activities.  Then we can deport them if they don't adapt. :D 

9 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

7 hours ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

The majority of our New England members have Southern ancestors. What I hate is folks that leave an area because they don't like something there. They comedown  south and then try to make it just like the place they left!!! Maybe we should issue visas and then monitor there activities.  Then we can deport them if they don't adapt. :D 

Faulty premise. You think that the reason that they are leaving is because they don't like the political climate.

Phantom

16 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

7 hours ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

I would not have put it so harshly, but the fact is that northern Virginia is overrun with people from Blue States to escape unemployment, high taxes and expensive living conditions.  Here, jobs are plentiful particularly if you have a security clearance as this is home to the Intelligence Community.  Even if you don't work for the IC, there are all of the trades and professions needed to support any growing community.  I was raised in Newport News in the southern, tidewater area, but I'm up here for work and it's a beautiful area.  Other than nightmarish traffic, what's not to like?

The problem is that the Blue Staters that come here (and to all of our larger cities) and all to often vote for the same kinds of politicians and policies that made them move in the first place.  They've turned our solidly Red State into a Purplish-Blue State  Kinda like someone coming from Venezuela who then votes for Bernie Sanders - maybe a bit less extreme than that example, but you get the idea...

Of course once they completely take over, we'll all lose weight!  ;)

16 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Faulty premise. You think that the reason that they are leaving is because they don't like the political climate.

Phantom

First, I think they don't like the weather and they don't like the taxes up North. They come to the South and buy land in the country and then complain about livestock smell, noise, lack of road repair, farm animals that have to be moved across highways to other pastures, tractors that block the road, folks hunting and carrying guns, folks that target shoot, etc.

9 hours ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

First, I think they don't like the weather and they don't like the taxes up North. They come to the South and buy land in the country and then complain about livestock smell, noise, lack of road repair, farm animals that have to be moved across highways to other pastures, tractors that block the road, folks hunting and carrying guns, folks that target shoot, etc.

But your original statement accused them of trying to make their new home just like their old one... That weather and taxes are the primary reasons for leaving. Are they complaining about the weather and trying to raise taxes??? Are you saying that folks shouldn't move unless they love EVERYTHING about their new home???  

Phantom

21 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

But your original statement accused them of trying to make their new home just like their old one... That weather and taxes are the primary reasons for leaving. Are they complaining about the weather and trying to raise taxes??? Are you saying that folks shouldn't move unless they love EVERYTHING about their new home???  

Phantom

If these newcomers are demanding all of those citified services that they miss from their former homes, THEY CERTAINLY ARE complaining about the lower taxes!!!:rolleyes: <_<

11 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

If these newcomers are demanding all of those citified services that they miss from their former homes, THEY CERTAINLY ARE complaining about the lower taxes!!!:rolleyes: <_<

I didn't read they were... Nor do I believe they are. 

Thank God there are people that don't assume that people are a certain type of people based solely on what state they moved from.

Phantom

9 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I didn't read they were... Nor do I believe they are. 

Thank God there are people that don't assume that people are a certain type of people based solely on what state they moved from.

Phantom

I make no assumptions about ANYONE based on the state they come from or from where they might have moved.  I seldom make assumptions of any kind.  I DO often come to conclusions based on hard facts and the overwhelming evidence presented!!  I'll say no more.

California is what it is now because of IMMIGRATION. Immigration or rather make that INVASION from Blue States. The first invasion wave was during the Gold Rush. The second wave was during the Great Depression with Mid-Western farmers (Okies) and others looking for work/food. However the one that finally nailed the lid on the coffin here was the third wave that started during WWII. Followed by the Korean War and then the Vietnam War. Easterners discovered that we didn't deal with snow, floods, tornadoes, and narrow minded attitudes and culture....etc., etc., etc. Our winters are mild, unless you wanted to find snow, then you could visit it. People were easy going and laid back and with the war time economies since WWII there were lots of jobs and fewer "conformist" jerks.

Unfortunately during that huge third way many of the folks did bring their Blue State attitudes and conformist crap and over time "they" bred and the next thing you know the easy going, live and let live native Californians got pushed out.....just like the European Immigrants did to the Native Americans. Pushed out and taken over. That's where we are today.

Politics have always been screwed up here. What with the American invasion to push out the Mexican's and make this an American state. Did you know that when California joined the union our original state Constitution called for a Bi-Lingual state? Yep.....English and Spanish, equally side by side. But that was later killed in Sacramento by the "American" power brokers, land grabbers and carpet baggers.

I totally agree that when you move to a new area you need to work on adopting the NEW CULTURE as well. The Easterners that moved here didn't and look where that got us. Now the same BS is happening in Oregon and Washington soon to follow. Also, here, it's the vastly populated megalopolis' that control the vast area majority of the state. In California it's San Francisco, Sacramento and L.A. Once you get outside these cities it's a vastly different countryside and attitude......but "they" out number us in the big cities and "they" couldn't care less about anyone other than themselves. Go figure.

43 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I make no assumptions about ANYONE based on the state they come from or from where they might have moved.  I seldom make assumptions of any kind.  I DO often come to conclusions based on hard facts and the overwhelming evidence presented!!  I'll say no more.

Show me facts... Data... Showing that folks are moving to the country and trying to convert it to City ways...

30 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Show me facts... Data... Showing that folks are moving to the country and trying to convert it to City ways...

All you have to do is sit in in a community or city council meeting and listen to what is being said and demanded and you'll find what I said to be credible.  If all you know or acknowledge are "facts and data"...  Oh!  Never mind!!  It ain't worth getting banned over to continue this discussion!!

Archived