SASS Wire Forum

Maybe I shouldn't have done that.....

If you see a Ford on the road, its a natural assumption that it's broke, the only question is what is currently broken.  So if you see a Ford MOVING down the road, the best bet is that the brakes.  I understand the prius's fear. 

At least Ford out lines the mistakes ,,,,,,,, Oval around FORD ...

Fords with the heated tail-gate sure make pushing them better in Winter...

Jabez Cowboy

You can joke all you want about Ford's, but I've had less maintenance on them than GM's and Toyota's!  The  main problem I'm having right now with my new Ford Flex is the windshield seems to cause oncoming lights to flare like a skyrocket... but only at night.  Several friends I've checked with have the same problem even with different model years!  Have checked with several automobile glass companies, and so far haven't seen any windshields that don't do the same thing!  One possibility is a thin film on the inside of the glass.  That worked on a different vehicle type.  So, we'll see...

12 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

FORD vs CHEVY

I AM IN THE FORD COLUMN. 

Then wait in line patiently. The tow truck is working at the head of the column and will get to you shortly. :D

Do you know what they mean when they say 95% of Chevy's made in the last 20 yrs are still on the road?     5% made it home last night!!    GW

42 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

You can joke all you want about Ford's, but I've had less maintenance on them than GM's and Toyota's!  The  main problem I'm having right now with my new Ford Flex is the windshield seems to cause oncoming lights to flare like a skyrocket... but only at night.  Several friends I've checked with have the same problem even with different model years!  Have checked with several automobile glass companies, and so far haven't seen any windshields that don't do the same thing!  One possibility is a thin film on the inside of the glass.  That worked on a different vehicle type.  So, we'll see...

Or you need someone to look at your cataracts.

10 minutes ago, Noz said:

Or you need someone to look at your cataracts.

Just had my eyes checked, and besides which others have seen the same thing, and their eyes can't all be bad!  It has something to do with the way a lot of the glass is manufactured these days.  Regardless of the brand, most is made by the same OEM!  We'll see.... (pun intended).

Had a Ford Explorer that first manual transmission went out in first 5,000 miles.  Replaced under warranty.  Had it rebuilt two more times.  Third time the garage filled it with 90 weight gear lube and it held up well.  The engine threw the bearings at 80,000 miles and was replaced under extended warranty.  Three power window drive units.  At 180,000 miles we gave it to or Son and he drove it another 100,000 before selling it to salvage yard.  He drove it a year by climbing in the passenger side because the driver's side door wouldn't open.

We bought a 2013 F150 new and have 108,000 on it now.  In general we're pleased with it. Some things are real stupid about it.

My brothers company saved $90,000 in fuel costs the first year they changed from Ford Super Duty Trucks to GMC Duramax 3500s.

And Cut the out of service days (downtime) by 96% ....

But heck if you are Rich ( and like driving loaners ) by all means Drive A Ford ....

Jabez Cowboy

Ford pickup trucks look like a truck not those prissy things with other name tags on them

I tried a Dodge 3500 Mega cab with 6.7 diesel quit running with only 125000 miles on it

Ford = Rirst On Race Day 

If these trucks all brands didn't need repairs half the mechanics would be on welfare

Like the three Dodge dealers told me everything needs repairs

Never owned a Ford.

Owned 3 Chevy trucks (standard sizes).  The last two needed serious transmission work, both at 55,000 miles.

Bought a Toyota.   Still have it at 278,000 miles.   I decided to keep it, BUT..... I bought a 2017 Toyota Tacoma last year and so far, its still running like a Toyota.

..........Widder

14 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Never owned a Ford.

Owned 3 Chevy trucks (standard sizes).  The last two needed serious transmission work, both at 55,000 miles.

Bought a Toyota.   Still have it at 278,000 miles.   I decided to keep it, BUT..... I bought a 2017 Toyota Tacoma last year and so far, its still running like a Toyota.

..........Widder

We're pretty happy overall with our F150 so far.   Second Ford we've owned.  Been a GM man for the most part except for a Plymouth Minivan.   

Why go back to Ford when we had so much trouble with the Explorer?  Easy answer,  they didn't take the government bailout!  

We may look into a Toyota Tundra the next trade.   Made in USA from what I understand.

I personally think that the car manufacturers have taken a lesson from refrigerator manufacturers and are building "disposable" vehicles that have to be replaced every 5 years or so instead of lasting 40 years or more.

I've had 6 Jeep vehicles (between three of us, husband, daughter, me) since 1993.  Four were taken off-road multiple times and lasted forever without ANY problems.  Had minor cosmetic problems with the Commander from the beginning that never went off road.  Have had MULTIPLE mechanical problems with the 2012 Liberty (never been off road) within the last 2 years including gas cap having to be replaced, power window motor went out, door locks went out, been leaking clean oil for the last two oil changes since August, 2016.  I not so jokingly asked the salesman that sold it to me, "What's Chrysler doing these days?  Building disposable vehicles?"

The service guys kept telling me the oil leak (that I've reported since August 2016) was "road oil" not fresh oil until this week when I asked to speak with the Service Manager, showed him a picture of the huge fresh oil leak, and gave him a piece of paper towel saturated with the fresh oil.  They have had the vehicle since Wednesday morning and are now saying the oil pan is leaking and with my extended warranty it will only cost $100 deductible.  Thought I was making a mistake spending the bucks for the extended warranty, but obviously not since I keep getting to use it for these expensive repairs with only a $100 deductible each time.

Seems like none of the car manufacturers are building them like they used to.

History of vehicles that we have owned:

(color coded = owned at same time)

1964 Volkswagen Beetle (12 years)

1976 Chevrolet Camaro  (23 years)

1984 Chevrolet Cavalier (16 years)

1999 Mercury Cougar (10 years)

2000 Mercury Villager (10 years)

2009 Toyota Camry  (currently 9 years)

2010 Toyota Tacoma  (currently 8 years)

My wife's first car was a 1960 Thunderbird

My first car was a 1960 Chrysler Desoto

Y'all must change cars oftener than I change socks.

In 74 I bought a 5 year old Chevy. In 76 I traded for a six year old Buick. In 79 I traded for a seven year old Buick. In 81 I bought a thirteen year old Ford pickup, sold the Buick. Drove the snot out of it. In 97  (16 years later) I bought an eleven year old Chevy pickup, sold the Ford. Twenty years later I'm still driving the (now 32) Chevy. In 2000 I bought a nineteen year old Bronco. It's now 37 years old. Still driving it.

17 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Y'all must change cars oftener than I change socks.

In 74 I bought a 5 year old Chevy (held 7 years). In 76 I traded for a six year old Buick (held 9 years). In 79 I traded for a seven year old Buick (held 9 years). In 81 I bought a thirteen year old Ford pickup (held 29 years), sold the Buick. Drove the snot out of it. In 97  (16 years later) I bought an eleven year old Chevy pickup, sold the Ford. Twenty years later I'm still driving the (now 32) Chevy. In 2000 I bought a nineteen year old Bronco. It's now 37 years old. Still driving it.

Alpo:

Updated both our posts with the years held.

Mine held longer earlier, yours later. Call it even? ;)

Apparently Dutch was talking about you here: :P:D

I aint got nuthin against fords, but I'm glad this turned into a ford vs dodge vs chevy thread.  They're so much fun. 

2 hours ago, Catlow4697 said:

Ford pickup trucks look like a truck not those prissy things with other name tags on them

I tried a Dodge 3500 Mega cab with 6.7 diesel quit running with only 125000 miles on it

Ford = Rirst On Race Day 

If these trucks all brands didn't need repairs half the mechanics would be on welfare

Like the three Dodge dealers told me everything needs repairs

No joke, I took a diesel mechanics class a while back and my teacher said mechanics all loved the ford diesels and hated the dodges.  it seems that when a dodge came into the shop it was usually just going to be routine maintenance ... but when a ford came in it was going to be a good christmas. 

That being said he drove a ford.  I guess he got it cheap and had a lot of experience fixing them. 

1 hour ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

I personally think that the car manufacturers have taken a lesson from refrigerator manufacturers and are building "disposable" vehicles that have to be replaced every 5 years or so instead of lasting 40 years or more.

The service guys kept telling me the oil leak (that I've reported since August 2016) was "road oil" not fresh oil until this week when I asked to speak with the Service Manager, showed him a picture of the huge fresh oil leak, and gave him a piece of paper towel saturated with the fresh oil.  They have had the vehicle since Wednesday morning and are now saying the oil pan is leaking and with my extended warranty it will only cost $100 deductible.  Thought I was making a mistake spending the bucks for the extended warranty, but obviously not since I keep getting to use it for these expensive repairs with only a $100 deductible each time.

I've noticed.  They used to take pride when their vehicles lasted a long time.  You could join the 100k mile club, 200k mile club etc.  I'm coming up on 500k miles on my dodge.  I've asked dealers at every 100k interval if I could get a hat or something and they all tell me they don't do that anymore. 

And for your problem, I would have been throwing around the word "lemon".  Dealers try to get around the lemon laws by not writing up problems they can't fix, but what they write in their system isn't what counts.  It's what you complain about.  From what I hear the liberty was bad all around.  It may have left a bad taste but it was an outlier compared to other jeep vehicles. 

I've have a 2013 Toyota 4Runner (NEVER again)

A 2004 Chevy Yukon 200,000+ miles

2004 Chevy Colorado 160,000 miles

2001 Dodge 3500HD cargo van 200k+ miles

1995 Ford F350xlt crewcab 170k+ miles

1968 Ford Mustang Fastback

1967 Chevy Nova SS

1959 Chevy 3100 Apache

1943 Willys MB

Not counting the classics, I hate the Toyota, most uncomfortable car. The Dodge has given me problems since I got it, rebuilt transmission twice, been in and out of the shop 10 times or more. Something's always broken. Fix one thing and something else breaks. The F350's transmission gave out while pulling a boat. No problems since having it rebuilt.

The Chevy's have only had minor repairs to non-critical parts and one minor recall to an a/c part.

That said Ford or Chevy for me.

My last Ford was a '67 Mustang. Gorgeous car, but very uncomfortable to drive, parts failed one after another and you could literally watch the rust spread. I finally sold it because it was turning into a huge money pit and the floorboards were nearly gone. Those old cars need to have a proper ground-up restoration, then be kept in a dry garage except on sunny weekends. All my other cars are left outside in the rain and snow 24/7 and have never shown a spot of rust, but that old Rustang was terrible. I'm amazed that so many are still left.

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Suppose that if you guys get tired of bashing the other guy's ride, we could start another thread on Colt vs. Clones, 

or .38 Special vs. .45 Colt. 

Badger:

If so, you guys will be on your own, as....

5af5ec41c8159_Donthaveadoginthatfight.jpg.84858a16b1daaefb9ce2f80b99392494.jpg

Disclaimer: Slogan only, as dog fights are cruelty to animals.

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Badger:

If so, you guys will be on your own, as....

5af5ec41c8159_Donthaveadoginthatfight.jpg.84858a16b1daaefb9ce2f80b99392494.jpg

Disclaimer: Slogan only, as dog fights are cruelty to animals.

HAHAHAHA. Well, then there is always Black Powder vs Smokeless Powder. 

Archived