SASS Wire Forum

Duck hatching update

Trigger Mike

28 days or so ago some asked me to update them on the duck eggs that we collected and put in an incubator.  We collected five of the 11 eggs and the mama rearranged the nest to make it evenly distributed.  after a couple of days she walked away and the eggs left behind rotted.  she then laid another nest by the pond and after a few days walked away.  She has laid at least 2 more nest full as her husband keeps helping her in that department in front of my children.  

2 days ago the ones we kept began poking a crack in the egg and slowly worked on it all day an two came out during the night.  they are twice as big as the egg they were in so I imagine it was extremely tight in there.  a 3rd is making good progress and the other 2 are moving real slow but seem to be trying.  My 12 year old took a large metal wash tub and put some sand and hay in it and attached the heat lamp to put them in the garage the first few days and then move them to a rabbit house we put chicks in until their feathers come in.  they chirp a lot and sleep a lot.  my 3 youngest children are real excited and watch them constantly.  sadly my 14 year old is still in the hospital ad is missing it but the dr said today she plans to release her tomorrow.  

I think this has been really educational for them.  We are learning how long it takes to come out and how you have to wait sometimes for good things to happen.  

Favorite thing to watch at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry was an incubator of chicken eggs, where you could watch them hatch out.  I liked it as a kid and so did my wife.  Took our granddaughter there some years back, and she was fascinated by them, too. :)

Archived