SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger shotgun malfunction

Col Del Rio

Greetings All,

I have a Stoeger double barrel 12GA coach shotgun with internal hammers. The left hammer is  not cocking when the gun is broken open re-closed.  

Anyone know a good remedy or a decent video on repairs?

Thanks,

Col. Del Rio

Take the stock off and clean the action to be certain nothing is preventing the hammer from cocking. Try cocking with the stock off, watch to see if the hammer travels far enough to engage the sear. 

On mine the ramps the cocking levers ride were worn and would not move the hammer far enough. I needed to have them welded to fix it.

JSS

Do what J.S. Sooner said and make sure there is no debris under one of the triggers preventing it from catching the sear. I had a stoeger break it was about 6 months old at the time, anyways little shards off the bottom lug of the barrel made there way into the internals and got stuck under one of the triggers(in the middle of a match). I borrowed a shotgun for the rest of the match, sent it back to stoeger and they sent me a new one.

46 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill Mathewson, 37826 said:

Shot from badly crimped shells can get under the drivers as well. Easy to see with the stock removed. 

It's amazing the problems a couple pieces of 8 shot can cause inside the action.

It is also common for the firing pins to swell at the end and thus stick inside the little "firing pin fastening bolt."

stoeger.gif

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Stoeger.html

For a good write up:

http://www.cowboyshootingstore.com/kb_results.asp?ID=2

A source for replacement pins is needed:

http://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=237

Video:

Left cocking lever may be worn where it doesn't set THAT hammer. I have had the same problem. I put a little spot weld on the tip and filed it down to where I wanted it. Doesn't take much, .010 - .020 can make all the difference. With the stock off you should see the hammers move rearward about 1/16th inch after hammers set.

With the stock off and the SG barrels in full cock position and that left hammer did not set then you can move the hammer back with a thumb nail. If it sets, then the cocking lever is worn. Can't say for sure without looking at it.

WW

I had the same experience.  I replaced the firing pins, which helped some, but did not completely solve the problem.  Then my buddy noticed that my forearm was cracked.  That had enough effect on the cocking mechanism so that it did not always cock.  Stoeger said it was too old for them to send me a replacement forearm so I was on my own.

Archived