SASS Wire Forum

Grizzly bear question

I read a story in the paper a while back. There's parts of 1 or 2 states (Wyoming and Montana) that the Griz population has recovered enough to not be on the protected species list as of now. They're "talking" about letting a limited number of tags out for Griz.

And a few knotheads want to bring 'em back into California.

"People aren't on the grizzly menu" they say.  Tell that one to Timothy Treadwell!  Oh... wait... can't do that.  A grizzly ate 'im.  :huh:

As of now there is no season on them in the lower 48. Canada & Alaska ...yes. Very pricey, a hunt could easily set you back $50k. There is a proposal to issues a limited number of tags in Wyoming, but still in the proposal stage. The anti hunters are pitching a fit. I am a serious hunter and have shot a couple of black bears, but will never shoot another one for sport. Everything I shoot, I eat and bears are low on my list of desireable dinnerfare.  Can you imagine cutting this sucker up into steaks & roasts!!!:o

image1.JPG.c1315d0ce0ade160e9932003d295d7a7.JPG

I chewed bear meat once from a bear that a friend shot and since I eat what I kill I never had the urge to kill a bear after that one sample.

Considering we have Grizzlies in Wyoming, Other states should have them too, California has plenty of bear habitat as does Colorado. 

Grizzlies do tend to make one more alert while venturing thru the forest. 

If you do shoot a Grizz, make sure you have claw marks across your chest, head, extremities, and a witness. I don't mind seeing them from a distance, from a vehicle.

Camping in Grizzly country is just lying restlessly in a tent all night waiting for daylight.

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

As of now there is no season on them in the lower 48. Canada & Alaska ...yes. Very pricey, a hunt could easily set you back $50k. There is a proposal to issues a limited number of tags in Wyoming, but still in the proposal stage. The anti hunters are pitching a fit. I am a serious hunter and have shot a couple of black bears, but will never shoot another one for sport. Everything I shoot, I eat and bears are low on my list of desireable dinnerfare.  Can you imagine cutting this sucker up into steaks & roasts!!!:o

image1.JPG.c1315d0ce0ade160e9932003d295d7a7.JPG

With black bears, it really depends on what they've been eating. If its been eating a lot fish or garbage, the meat isn't very good. On the other hand a bear that's been mainly eating berries is a different story. I took small black bear back in 2003 and the meat was excellent.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Ask the bears if they want to live in California.  I suspect they'd veto that idea.

I'm not so sure. The bears would have a LOT of slow, two-legged menu options.

Ask the bears if they want to live in California.  I suspect they'd veto that idea.

We’d take grizzly bears over some of the other new residents in a heart beat.

9 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

"People aren't on the grizzly menu" they say.  Tell that one to Timothy Treadwell!  Oh... wait... can't do that.  A grizzly ate 'im.  :huh:

Can they release them in Sacramento 

Well we did have Grizzly Bears in AZ once upon a time....I believe Zane Grey shot the last one.  Nice idea in concept but CA needs to deal with too many other issues before bringing back the big bear.  If you think the wolf reintroduction is problematic, consider  something that big that will prey on people.  In big bear country, bear bells are referred to as, "dinner bells."  Think about it....  

up here in Alaska a number of bears are killed out of season every year in what we refer to as DLP - defense of life and property.

attached for your edification and  reading pleasure  is the DLP form that needs to be filled out when this happens.

dlp.pdf

Sadly the Grizzly seasons in Both Alberta and Now B. C. have been closed ....

Leaving only Yukon and the North West Territories with limited Seasons ...

This was brought about by Bleeding Hearts with No basis on proper Management of the resource...

Since they stopped the hunt in Alberta they are Killing more  Problem Bears  than the Hunters ever shot ....

Jabez Cowboy

2 hours ago, Festus G Lonetree said:

up here in Alaska a number of bears are killed out of season every year in what we refer to as DLP - defense of life and property.

attached for your edification and  reading pleasure  is the DLP form that needs to be filled out when this happens.

dlp.pdf

I made it through about half of that form. It seems to me Alaskan's should adopt the SSS method of DLP. Shoot, Shovel, Shut up.

I'm sure if Grizzlies were brought back, they wouldn't get all prissy about some liberals, pack up and move to another state, and then come onto the wire and complain about how terrible California is just because they couldn't make it here. Just my opinion, but of course I don't really know what bears think all that well.

Hey, seeing how we do have a cougar problem, since we can't hunt them any more, perhaps the grizzlies will eat up some of the cougars and all will be right again. Until we have a grizzly problem. What eats grizzlies?

56 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

I'm sure if Grizzlies were brought back, they wouldn't get all prissy about some liberals, pack up and move to another state, and then come onto the wire and complain about how terrible California is just because they couldn't make it here. Just my opinion, but of course I don't really know what bears think all that well.

Hey, seeing how we do have a cougar problem, since we can't hunt them any more, perhaps the grizzlies will eat up some of the cougars and all will be right again. Until we have a grizzly problem. what eats grizzlies?

If you call making it living as a serf I'll stay here in PA where I can walk like a man

1 hour ago, Redwood Kid said:

What eats grizzlies?

This eats Grizzlies.

serveimage (2).png

28 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Might solve the cougar problems too.

California has had a cougar problem for a long time. When I moved there in the 80's I ended up married to a gal who was 7 years older than me.

7 minutes ago, Festus G Lonetree said:

California has had a cougar problem for a long time. When I moved there in the 80's I ended up married to a gal who was 7 years older than me.

That’s not a problem...that’s Va-Va-Voom! :D

8 hours ago, Lost Trail said:

I'm not so sure. The bears would have a LOT of slow, two-legged menu options.

Yeah, but is it worth the hassle?  Besides, too many Californians taste like tofu and arugula.

Besides, grizz don't like greasy food.

8 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

We’d take grizzly bears over some of the other new residents in a heart beat.

And most grizzlies already speak English and they are certainly conservative..... they don't much pushing to get them to tackle folks that mess with them.

17 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

The Forest Service / Nat’l Park Service very quietly reintroduced Brown bears into the San Gabriel Nat’l Forest back in around 2000.

I found a Brownie track in very fresh snow that spanned 2” on each side beyond the span of my hand fully splayed out. My hand from pinky tip to thumb tip is 9.5”. The tracks were headed northwest...I went southeast. :D

When I told the Forest Service about the track I found that is when I found out they brought Brownies back.

That was also when I started carrying more firepower when hunting. A 12 gauge with #6 shot just ain’t quite enough.

I think they should bring Grizzlies back to California. Oregon too. Put them where the Sierra Club likes to frequent...they can wear little bells and carry pepper spray...the sound of “Kumbayah” helps deter Griz, I believe. :lol:

40 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think they should bring Grizzlies back to California. Oregon too. Put them where the Sierra Club likes to frequent...they can wear little bells and carry pepper spray...the sound of “Kumbayah” helps deter Griz, I believe. :lol:

Dinner Bells & Seasoning :)

Yeah, but is it worth the hassle?  Besides, too many Californians taste like tofu and arugula.

Besides, grizz don't like greasy food.

I doubt all those vegans and vegetarians are greasy. Stringy maybe but not greasy. :lol:

2 hours ago, Festus G Lonetree said:

That’s what I did and she’s eight years older than me.

this is from a 2 year old brown bear—-

BFDD447A-569C-411D-8D08-4E9C75240AE6.jpeg

6 hours ago, Too Tall Bob said:

this is from a 2 year old brown bear—-

BFDD447A-569C-411D-8D08-4E9C75240AE6.jpeg

Wow! The track I found was much bigger.

Archived