SASS Wire Forum

Oracle SASS #4854 has passed

I learned yesterday of the passing of RJ Gryder aka Oracle on Sunday evening 05/06/18. I don't have any details regarding his death. Oracle had moved into the East Tennessee area about 10 years ago from Alaska to care for his ailing mother. Oracle's wife passed away in 2013. Oracle hasn't been active in shooting over the last several years. His memorial service will be on 05/26/18 at Bowers Funeral Home in Decatur, TN with interment of ashes at Buttram Cemetery in Dayton, Tn. As of today an obituary has not been posted but will probably be available at a later date at Bowers Funeral Home's website. Condolences to Oracle's family and friends.

Vaya con Dios, Keystone

Sorry to hear of his passing.  Oracle and I were in the Alaska 49er start- up group back when Cowboy Action shooting was just getting off the ground in the Anchorage area.  A good man, and funny and hell.

Fair winds and following seas, Amigo.

I only got to vaguely know Oracle while shooting locally here in E.TN.

He was crazy, but in a very funny kind of way.   Once thing for sure, in my opinion, is that he loved CAS and put a lot into the game.   His Black Pin indicated that he was deeply involved.

The last few years, some health issues kept him sidelined and we didn't see him very much.

God rest his soul.

Condolences to his family and friends.

..........Widder

RJ was one of the first people I met when I started cowboy shooting with the 49ers in 2000.  We have been dear friends ever since.  He was like a family member.  Practically adopted my kids, helped me through the loss of my wife to cancer and was always there with a laugh and smile.  Went to my first EoT with him...the last one at Norco and shared a lot of cowboy campfires.  

There'll be a hoot in heaven soon.  Farewell my friend.

Four Bucks

Prayers for Family & Friends from Dakota Skipper & the Dawg.

Met Oracle years ago at a Smoky Mtn. Shootout.

Friendly guy, made me feel really welcomed.

--Dawg

I met Oracle in Juneau soon after he was returned to active duty shortly after 9/11.  He was a founding force for SASS shooting in Juneau.  Helping to start up the Juneau Gold Miners Posse.  He was the epitome of a USCG CPO.  Glad to call him friend.  Got to meet him again @ Oak Ridge after we moved to TN.  A warrior to the end.  God Bless.  

My Prayers go out to Family and Friends .

May He Rest In Peace .

Rooster 

It's hard to believe "Oracle" SASS# 4854 has left us. RJ and I were friends for many, many years after he and Barb moved to Alaska. We were like brothers and our "arguments were legendary". But at the end of the day we were able to sit back, laugh about it, and have a cold beer together. He joined the AK 49er's in the early 90's when it was a loose knit bunch of folks shooting old time firearms. Oracle became a driving force to get the club into SASS. He was successful in his endeavors as we were able to get the club SASS certified when we attended EOT 98. Oracle was the 1st T.G. for the club along with holding numerous other officer positions. Oracle had many ideas for the club that are still used today. Some of which are an annual two day match that is known today as "The Shoot Out Under The Midnight Sun", and Ft. Birchwood located at the Birchwood Shooting Sports Park range. You can see Oracles influence by visiting the Fort and seeing the little cowboys peeking over the walls along with our Town Square (Moose Nugget Flats). Oracle was a good pard, and a hard working waddi. He was loud, funny, a stand up comedian, gruff, friendly, obnoxious, sharing, and caring. You could not ask for a better man to stand by your side in times of need.

Oracle, I hope to see you down the trail.

Yukon Marshal SASS# 3415L

Regulator & Club Co-founder

Alaska 49er's

Sad news indeed.    When I trekked over to the USA for my first EOT back in 97, Oracle was the first person I met when I arrived at Raahauges.    I was on my own, new to America and he took me under his wing and introduced me around.....  A good bloke.

Archived