SASS Wire Forum

Mental Preparation before going to the Line

McCandless

9 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

I prefer to shoot late, and run the timer for 1/3 to 1/2 of the posse,  the whole time "gaming" the stage..  I can shoot early, but prefer late,, or sometimes I just get the itch to "shoot now"  

when at the table, I load,,, checking over each round that goes in the rifle,,,, then air shoot the entire stage,,, using my hands for every move,,,, muscle memory,,,    I do this several times,,,

Yea I also saw you primping your hair and making sure your makeup was on okay!!:P:P

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yea I also saw you primping your hair and making sure your makeup was on okay!!:P:P

yeah?  studying me a lil hard arent cha?:o:P

3 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

yeah?  studying me a lil hard arent cha?:o:P

I couldn't help it, I was standing right behind you!!:o

did it make my butt look big?

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Your pants do that. :ph34r:

You're looking too?

I found I was overthinking the stages by planning TOO much (at least that was the excuse I used). So now I try to only run through the stage a couple of times at the loading table and it has worked better for me.

Now if I could actually shoot the stage like I visualize it in my head I'd be fast as greased lightning, transitions would be smooth as glass and I would never ever miss.

Well, I found out something about my mental prep.  I'm going about it all wrong!  I'm healing up from surgery on my eye for a detached retina.  Everything's going fine, but my dominant eye won't focus properly.  So, my front sights are a blur, the targets are a blur, my world is a blur.  Soooo...

I went to a local monthly match Sat.  (My first one since the surgery).  My mindset was, whatever, just have fun.  If I hit the targets, it's a bonus.  If I miss, it doesn't matter.  To my surprise, point-shooting, I only had 3 misses for the match.  My times improved, and I had more fun.  Time for a mental reappraisal of the how and why I approach a match. Time for a hmmmmmm moment.

:ph34r:

When the stage is explained, I run through the stage once in my mind.  When I get to the loading table, I'll run through the stage sequencing in my mind again.  I'll try to watch one of the better shooters before me, but in general, I don't like to watch other people shoot a stage and miss.  Kinda like watching a golfer with the yips putting.  Drives me crazy.  Just as I get to the line, I will quickly run through the stage sequencing again in my mind.  I never draw differently.  I always draw the strong side pistol first.  If one is more accurate than the other, and there is a long pistol shot, I'll stage the more accurate pistol in the appropriate holster.  I stage my rifle and shotgun exactly the same within the stage guidelines every time.  

On 5/9/2018 at 1:45 AM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

First and foremost ..... make sure you don't have to Pee.  If you have to Pee, you can't concentrate on anything else.  Trust Me.

BUT..It does make ya' go faster ..shot some of my best times when bustin, though I do try to not make a habit of it !!!!

When that beep goes off it puts your mind in fight or flight mode, when your dry firing at home use a timer or app for your phone so you are use to the beep 

On 5/10/2018 at 8:32 AM, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

did it make my butt look big?

I wasn't looking there!!!:lol:

Archived