SASS Wire Forum

Best Shoot by a Dam Site

Creeker, SASS #43022

The Eldorado Cowboys "Best Shoot by a Dam Site" is complete.

The steel is put away.

The bays raked and divots filled.

Awards have been given out.

And all the congratulatory hugs and handshakes exchanged.

Two days, 10 stages of old school style match with modern day target placements.

And it was fun.

We secured our stick ponies on the fence and carried gold bags.

Pulled arrows from our wounded buddy and transported frogs.

Shot demonic steel chickens, knockdown racks and moving targets.

Stabbed playing cards and rolled dice.

Saw world class stage runs and trainwrecks of epic proportions.

Laughed and picked at each other.

Told silly stories and inappropriate jokes.

I want to again say "thank you" to everyone that attended Dam Site.  

The Eldorado Cowboys knew we were taking a risk when we decided to transform Dam Site into a Legacy style match; that we might alienate and lose some shooters that did not enjoy or miss some of the silliness of yesterday.

But the reception and kind words we have received; not to mention selling out and filling up the shoot two years in a row has told us we have perhaps found a niche and we look forward to offering The Best Shoot by a Dam Site for a long time.

Scores will be posted to the

Eldorado Cowboys website very soon.

Scores are posted on the Eldorado Cowboys website under the DAM SITE Tab then 2018 results.

http://eldoradocowboys.com/html/2018_results.html

Oh, as an aside, if anyone has pictures or video from the event - I would love to see it and post it on our YouTube page.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DesertDesperadosLV

We invite everyone to join us for ELDORADO - the SASS Nevada State Championship in October - which will be our full throttle DRAG RACE match.

Details under the ELDORADO Tab

http://eldoradocowboys.com/

A huge thank you (once again) to the

Eldarado Cowboys for another fun match.

Fast shooting, with a few easy non shooting activities on each stage.  

Well written, and most of all FUN stages.  Nothing in this “Legacy” match was difficult to do, no moving heavy objects, no getting in and out of weird positions, just some easy to do stuff on the clock that put a little “action” back in cowboy action.

With today’s modern trend of “how fast can I run a gun and transition” it was fun to have to negotiate certain skills in the middle of the stage, and still figure out the best way to get through the stage.

its not something I want every match to become, but it was definitely a fun change to do once in a while.   Now I’m looking forward to Oct, to see the drag race Creeker writes for Eldarado, the NV state championship 

10 hours ago, Gawd Awful said:

its not something I want every match to become, but it was definitely a fun change to do once in a while.   Now I’m looking forward to Oct, to see the drag race Creeker writes for Eldarado, the NV state championship 

I wrote the match; came up with the props and the silly stories and even I would NOT want every (or even most) match to be Legacy style.

But I think there is enough room in our game to support a variety of ways to play.

That's why the Eldorado Cowboys decided to create two very different events; the old school Legacy match in May and the Bordertown style drag race in October.

And by making them completely different matches and proudly advertising those differences; we have created the opportunity to provide a little something for everyone to enjoy.

We had a blast revisiting our past with Dam Site with no excuses or regrets for silly stories and on the clock props.

Eldorado will be a full throttle, no excuses, let the rough side drag speed event.

There's room in our game for everyone and the Eldorado Cowboys are proud to offer matches that cater to all personalities.

This was a great shoot. The people were as friendly and welcoming as you could ask for.  We will venture out to see you all again, and this time  I will bring some sun screen.  :D

Thanks for a great weekend!

2 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  If you liked "Dam Site", you'll LOVE Eldorado....!  C'mon out again, there'll be even more shooters......and more fun  :D.

Thank you for the kind words. 

But I don't want to mislead anyone either.

Dam Site is old school style with on the clock props and silly stories.

Eldorado will be our Nevada variation on Bordertown. 

Big, close and fast.  A drag race match.

Still going to be a lot of fun; but not the same flavor as Dam Site.

After all variety is the spice of life.

Creeker--I've heard you say this before.  Since I've seen Dam Site, please tell me specifically how Eldorado will be different.  Does "drag race" mean you get rid of the props and stories and just shoot sequenced targets?  I still have sooooo much to learn!

15 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Creeker--I've heard you say this before.  Since I've seen Dam Site, please tell me specifically how Eldorado will be different.  Does "drag race" mean you get rid of the props and stories and just shoot sequenced targets?  I still have sooooo much to learn!

Dam Site was what we call a Legacy Shoot.  Elements of what we used to do a lot more of in cowboy.  On the clock prop manipulations (pulling arrows between each gun was a good example).  Elements of chance (card stab, dice roll) to determine starting gun or target.  The only thing we didn't do at Dam Site was emulate the more distant target placements of yesterday.

Eldorado as a "Drag Race" will be much more straight forward. 

There will still be stories to set the stage and explain "why" we are doing what we do (I think stories add to the mood and they do not affect shooting).

But the event itself will be ALL about the shooting.  No significant props to carry or deal with (maybe a card table to flip over or swinging doors to open) ; all focus after the beep will be on how quickly and accurately are you able to get rounds down range and transition between guns and positions.

Rifle target placements will be a couple paces closer than Dam Site was. 

Pistols perhaps a pace nearer.

All stages will have multiple shooting positions and because this is a bigger shoot; there will be an assortment of windows, doors and barriers to shoot thru and around.

And the sequences and target arrays will all be designed to encourage shooters to run all out on the edge of out of control.

To put it simply; Drag Race simply means it's all about going fast.   

Any mistakes you commit are magnified.

Whereas an old school or Legacy match challenges you to deal with variables (differing target requirements or odd prop handling).

A Drag Race match challenges you to go as fast as you dare.  Because everything is set up to encourage speed and (possibly) running over your head.

Very different matches.

Both a whole lot of fun.

Okay-

Now that makes perfect sense.  Thanks for taking the time to clarify that for me-hopefully others learned a bit as well.  Sounds like it will be just as much fun.  And I won't have to hear, "the bag, grab the bag!!!" quite as often as I did on Dam Site!  LOL

34 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Note to self:  Yell "Grab the bag?  GRAB THE BAG!!!" Every time you see Smoky Pistols at Eldorado. :lol:

There was a WHOLE LOT of coaching and direction going on.

As soon as the buzzer went off - folks seem to forget there were things other than shooting that needed to happen on every stage.

ARROW - ARROW - ARROW

Grab the gold bag!!!

Take your frog with you.

Carry the boot.

Only take shotgun shells from the box.

Dam Site was a blast - Eldorado will be a whole lot of fun too.

And "Grab the bag" will be our new greeting for Smoky Pistols.

See if we can get that to stick as well as Ugly Puppy did to Damascus Jon.

Creeker, enjoyed the match along with the opportunity to shoot with some terrific people. All was well organized and you work very hard to keep things running with your club.

Angry Ned

On 5/18/2018 at 5:13 AM, Angry Ned said:

Creeker, enjoyed the match along with the opportunity to shoot with some terrific people. All was well organized and you work very hard to keep things running with your club.

Angry Ned

Ned, you got stuck shooting on the same posse with me, Gawd Awful and Doggonit. 

No one has ever used the term terrific people in conjunction with our motley crew.  

Ahhh, but I guess you did say "some", not all.

Really glad you enjoyed the match and look forward to shooting with you again.

Thank you for the kind words.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, Shooting Bull said:

Note to self:  Yell "Grab the bag?  GRAB THE BAG!!!" Every time you see Smoky Pistols at Eldorado. :lol:

GREAT! *hangs his head and sighs*

Archived