SASS Wire Forum

Use of camouflage

That things harmless. The real danger is what he's slithering over.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was the reaction a mule deer had when I was all camo’d up hunting Fall Turkeys sitting in a thicket.  He was huge. Biggest Muley I have ever seen. He walked down the trail and stopped about 20 feet from me.

I said aloud “Where the hell were you last week”. I had never seen a deer go 4 different directions before. :lol: It was priceless. 

The week before was was the last week of deer season. Saw lots of turkeys. Turkey season starts and this guy walks into my life...I saw no turkeys that week...

My Assistant Scoutmaster was camo'd up good enough that the deer knew he was there, but didn't know what he was.

ASM was prone on the lip of a ravine with a game trail at the bottom. Plenty of signs that deer used it to go down to a creek to drink, so he figured he'd wait for one to come along. A doe did, but it quitely came up behind him to investigate. Apparently it didn't like his smell because it let out a loud SNORT that startled him so badly he dropped his shotgun into the ravine. He rolled over, royally steamed, and considered punching the doe in the face. But it bounded off into the woods before he could get up.

I was spending some time around Camp Rudder, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida back in '69 when this pretty much happen to my squad.  

After the march we set up a perimeter and after an hour or so a big fellow slithered past about a foot in front of my rifle.  I alerted the guy next to me and as he and the  snake make eye contact he takes off running to the far side of the perimeter all the while screaming.

The training sergeant was not very happy when it was over.

Country boy with the Alabama National Guard.  He knows that black snakes ain't dangerous.  

It made the rounds locally a month or twa ago.

If nothing esle, anybody that was thinking they had him spotted would think they was wrong when they saw the snake.  I figger the snake is just trying to do its patriot duty.

6 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I was spending some time around Camp Rudder, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida back in '69 when this pretty much happen to my squad.  

After the march we set up a perimeter and after an hour or so a big fellow slithered past about a foot in front of my rifle.  I alerted the guy next to me and as he and the  snake make eye contact he takes off running to the far side of the perimeter all the while screaming.

The training sergeant was not very happy when it was over.

When Daddy was at Ft Polk, he found one of the Yankees from New Jersey or Connecticut playing with a Coral Snake.  :huh:

He said that he thought it was pretty and wanted to keep it.:o

I'd take the runner and screamer over that idjit all day, any day.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:59 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One of the funniest things I ever saw was the reaction a mule deer had when I was all camo’d up hunting Fall Turkeys sitting in a thicket.  He was huge. Biggest Muley I have ever seen. He walked down the trail and stopped about 20 feet from me.

I said aloud “Where the hell were you last week”. I had never seen a deer go 4 different directions before. :lol: It was priceless. 

The week before was was the last week of deer season. Saw lots of turkeys. Turkey season starts and this guy walks into my life...I saw no turkeys that week...

They are armed with a calendar, Pat. They know the seasons before you do. 

14 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

If nothing esle, anybody that was thinking they had him spotted would think they was wrong when they saw the snake.  I figger the snake is just trying to do its patriot duty.

Unless that somebody is me and I decide to just shoot the snake. 

What kinda snake was it?  I see a black snake and I think cottonmouth. 

Just now, Ramblin Gambler said:

Unless that somebody is me and I decide to just shoot the snake. 

What kinda snake was it?  I see a black snake and I think cottonmouth. 

Looks like an Indigo.

14 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Country boy with the Alabama National Guard.  He knows that black snakes ain't dangerous.  

It made the rounds locally a month or twa ago.

If nothing else, anybody that was thinking they had him spotted would think they was wrong when they saw the snake.  I figger the snake is just trying to do its patriot duty.

John:

That is the real camouflage.

8 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I'm glad I didn't look these snakes up last night.  I've got a slight case of the heebie jeebies right now. 

Gambler:

Sort of like how Indiana Jones felt....

I was thinking "black snake", although it could be an indigo. Blow the picture up and it pixilates so it's hard to tell.

One thing though. Long as it is, ain't no cottonmouth. Ain't big enough around.

7 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

snakes are cool

and they taste like chicken

No. They taste like snake. And gator tastes like gator. :lol:

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Could be a black Mamba that escaped from the zoo or somebody's personal collection.  I take no chances.

They’re actually grey to dark brown.

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Gator may taste like gator, but chicken does too!

Folks who say “????? tastes like chicken” have never tasted ?????.

Snake has an oily texture to it. Gator has a musky taste, more akin to venison but with a lighter colored meat. 

4 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Folks who say “????? tastes like chicken” have never tasted ?????.

Snake has an oily texture to it. Gator has a musky taste, more akin to venison but with a lighter colored meat. 

Of course there’s wild gator and farm raised gator. ;)

and then there's duck that tastes like fishy liver...:unsure:

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, Alpo said:

I was thinking "black snake", although it could be an indigo. Blow the picture up and it pixilates so it's hard to tell.

One thing though. Long as it is, ain't no cottonmouth. Ain't big enough around.

+1

A cotton mouth would be a lot fatter,

and a coach whip would be a lot skinnier.

We call black snakes "rat snakes" cause the help keep the rodent population down

Archived