Complaining and SASS-Bashing

McCandless

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks are criticizing SASS??:huh:

Reckon I didn't know that..:blink:

Reckon there's always gonna be folks that don't understand our sport.. :mellow:

Kinda reckon they need to get over themselves..:)

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I'm too old to start a new sport :D get over it..

My Mom always said " If ya can't say anything nice.. Don't say it..":)

17 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Dear Rance,

The problem isn't outsiders bashing SASS. From what I've heard, bashing aspects of SASS is allowed in a FB group that uses the trademarked SASS name in their group name.

Regards,

Allie Mo

This is incorrect, SASS bashing is not allowed on that page. Perpetuating rumors for the sake of stirring the pot, is a pretty childish and counterproductive thing to do. 

I think it is childish to allow bad behavior and SASS bashing on one's Group page. Although, I am not on that site, people have sent me posts from it. I am not perpetrating rumors, just facts. I have seen posts where I was called names. Shame on the Admins for allowing such behavior.

4 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

PS I have also seen posts on that FB site that bashed PaleWolf.  Seriously, you saying I perpetrate rumors is not true and you know it.

Those posts were not allowed and were taken down. Not that you would know that either. I could show screen shots of posts from this page that you removed when you were an admin here and claim that the wire is something that it isn’t but that would be equally ridiculous. Sometimes people post things on pages that are not allowed. That doesn’t mean that the page likes it or that those posts stay up. But please. Keep telling us all about a page you’ve never been on and have zero idea of the content of shy of screen shots that someone sent you. 

17 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Those posts were not allowed and were taken down. Not that you would know that either. I could show screen shots of posts from this page that you removed when you were an admin here and claim that the wire is something that it isn’t but that would be equally ridiculous. Sometimes people post things on pages that are not allowed. That doesn’t mean that the page likes it or that those posts stay up. But please. Keep telling us all about a page you’ve never been on and have zero idea of the content of shy of screen shots that someone sent you. 

100% - FWIW: There have been posts on that site very favorable to The Wire, especially with the new changes in place. 

GG

Please keep this friendly. We are not here to Moderate sites other than the SASS Wire. If you have an issue with someone using the "SASS" name take it up with SASS HQ or the responsible party. If you have an issue with some other site take it up with that site. Do not drag outside conflicts into the SASS Wire.

Thank you.

Alright, straight upfront.  It's my fault.  No doubt about it, I plain misunderstood the guidelines about "infomercials".  That was rectified, but not before the flames started here and elsewhere.  But, you know, I had to find out about it from someone else.  Nobody contacted me, PM'd, emailed.  Folks just took to the keyboards and flamed away.  Yes, I admit it.  I am actually human and make mistakes.

Smokestack, to his credit, did what he could to keep his site positive, and many of those posts "bit the dust".  

So yes, this recent flaming of the moderators is my fault and should be directed at me, neither Sam or Olin had anything to do with it.  You can write to me, I'm a big boy, I can take it.  Just remember I shoot with y'all and have called many of you are close friends.  Somebody you complain at just might be that moderator.  

I've also taken down some individual posts that were simply SASS-bashing.  If I have, you know who you are because I sent you a note.

Mostly I try to ride herd with a light hand.  Sometimes I get things wrong.  It's a learning process.  Let me know which one of you has never made a mistake.

My PM box is still pretty empty.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

We all make mistakes ,I know I do .I for one am not blaming anyone .Stay safe and carry on.

T J B

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:52 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Dear Rance,

The problem isn't outsiders bashing SASS. From what I've heard, bashing aspects of SASS is allowed in a FB group that uses the trademarked SASS name in their group name.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Would you happen to be a member of this page?  If not then how do you come by your information?  Second hand information from trolls?  Cherry picked screen shots?  Seems you bashed this page once before.

Please stop!  This post has become a running argument among respected SASS members.  We are better than that!  I am really trying my best not to edit or delete posts, or lock down threads.   How about keeping things positive?  Stop, take a moment to reconsider before slamming each other!

Cowboy Action Shooting is a community built around a fantasy outlet for all of us, a game.  IJAFunG!   

On 5/4/2018 at 8:57 AM, McCandless said:

I've been reading posts on this Wire and posts made on some "social media" cowboy shooting sites by our own members, shooting us in the foot!

They complain about how SASS folks don't dress right anymore, or they shoot highly modified guns and you can't win without them, and they complain that boots aren't right or the leather isn't authentic or whatever the burr is under their saddle at the time.

I suggest, if the manner of dress isn't SASS legal, then call them on it.  There are penalties for shooting that way.

If it is SASS legal, then get over it.  If you want to see rules changed, then have your TG take it up the chain.  Work for change, don't just complain.

Some want a category for Box Stock guns, then work with your club to get the category started, work out the kinks.  Many categories started that way

Some want a "Big Iron" category with increased power factors.  Same thing, work on the category at club level and see how it goes.  If it's successful, it will spread.

If you want "mouse-fart" loads eliminated, work with your TG, move it up the chain, lobby SASS to change the power factor rules.

Don't just complain... do something!

In the meantime, if the load is legal, or the dress is legal, that's the game.  Let folks play it like it's written. Or, work with like-minded folks to get the rules changed.

If the load is too weak to meet power factor, or the dress is less than legal, challenge it.  It's either legal or it's not.

But, the grousing and complaining drives away prospective shooters.

Is there a working TG process any more where TGs propose a new rule or rule change to the voted on by the TGs? Which recent rule changes went thru that process?

4 hours ago, Gold Canyon Kid #43974 said:

Is there a working TG process any more where TGs propose a new rule or rule change to the voted on by the TGs? Which recent rule changes went thru that process?

Yes, there is a robust TG and RO Instructor process.  (RO Instructors who are not TGs may attend and take part in the meetings, but not vote.)

Your TGs should be telling you what was voted on and what the results were.  A lot of subjects are brought up to be considered.  Your TG can give you the blow-by-blow report.

Our TG's do an excellent job of keeping our club informed of new rule changes.  They did an excellent job of changing rank pts. to total time this last year.  I appreciate the moderator's past and present.  It is a thankless job and we are not always going to get our way.  The bashing needs to stop if we are going to get real substance and get back our champions.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
4 hours ago, Kirk James said:

Our TG's do an excellent job of keeping our club informed of new rule changes.  They did an excellent job of changing rank pts. to total time this last year.  I appreciate the moderator's past and present.  It is a thankless job and we are not always going to get our way.  The bashing needs to stop if we are going to get real substance and get back our champions.

Where did these champions go? 

7 hours ago, Kirk James said:

What are you talking about... Champions???

Phantom

13 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

What are you talking about... Champions???

Phantom

Speaking of which, there comes one now!  Phantom!!

(I'm copying another post from Kirk James here.  In explanation of what he meant by "champions")

"For years I have advocated the wire become an informational place to learn about CAS .  Too often a great informational thread becomes a place where the topic is "high jacked" for someone's jokes and pleasure, or an attack on an opinion.    Is the wire just for entertainment or will it become a place for advice?  When starting the champions forum I spoke to many of the best shooters in the world. Most left due to rude comments and the lack of substance.  Just look at the thread on subconscious shooting.   I use to spend some time on Enos's thread just to get some opinions and answers.  It was an excellent site and either moderated well or respected.   I do appreciate the moderators on this site.  You have you hands full!!!! "

19 minutes ago, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

(I'm copying another post from Kirk James here.  In explanation of what he meant by "champions")

"For years I have advocated the wire become an informational place to learn about CAS .  Too often a great informational thread becomes a place where the topic is "high jacked" for someone's jokes and pleasure, or an attack on an opinion.    Is the wire just for entertainment or will it become a place for advice?  When starting the champions forum I spoke to many of the best shooters in the world. Most left due to rude comments and the lack of substance.  Just look at the thread on subconscious shooting.   I use to spend some time on Enos's thread just to get some opinions and answers.  It was an excellent site and either moderated well or respected.   I do appreciate the moderators on this site.  You have you hands full!!!! "

Interesting... In my many years of speaking with "Champions", I've never heard anyone complain of rudeness. They usually comment on content contributed by folks that have no real clue about the real SASS... Meaning that they either shoot at their little club ONLY...or don't shoot at all.

Rudeness??? Never. Perhaps the Champions of today are more sensitive than the Champions of the past.

Phantom

23 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Interesting... In my many years of speaking with "Champions", I've never heard anyone complain of rudeness. They usually comment on content contributed by folks that have no real clue about the real SASS... Meaning that they either shoot at their little club ONLY...or don't shoot at all.

Rudeness??? Never. Perhaps the Champions of today are more sensitive than the Champions of the past.

Phantom

I'm not sure about the majority of SASS Members

that have never shot outside from their "little club", but for me:

968080247_Thathurt.jpg.e9b690bb3c96d142ac96b3cff55eccb3.jpg

13 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I'm not sure about the majority of SASS Members

that have never shot outside from their "little club", but for me:

968080247_Thathurt.jpg.e9b690bb3c96d142ac96b3cff55eccb3.jpg

I'm at a loss on how to respond to your hurt feelings...

How's about sharing something that can further the debate/discussion???

PS: You don't need graphics to respond to me... Words will suffice.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm at a loss on how to respond to your hurt feelings...

How's about sharing something that can further the debate/discussion???

PS: You don't need graphics to respond to me... Words will suffice.

Phantom

Phantom:

I appreciate your candor regarding my response.

As a fairly new shooter, my outings have all been at the local gun range.

Like many new shooters to SASS, we like to get acquainted with the process of CAS, get to know the other shooters, and learn as much as we can about this great sport. We venture onto the SASS WIRE to learn from the experiences of seasoned veterans, and the trials and tribulations of new shooters as well. At the same time, we glean what is of interest to us, especially being new to the sport, about firearms, SASS rules (thanks PaleWolf) and CAS in general.

There are also those that venture out after some time to participate in State Matches, EOT or Winter Range matches. Based on the number of current SASS Members, compared to the number of participants in these major tournaments, leaves a lot of us members who have not yet shot outside our local clubs.

To belittle them with language such as  "shoot at their little club ONLY..." , I find a little insolent for the SASS WIRE.

Not everyone will have the want or urge to participate in anything but shooting with their local club, which in no way should make them any less important in the realm of Cowboy Action Shooting, or for that matter, posting their experiences or replying to threads on the WIRE.

I believe that everyone who is a SASS member has something to contribute to this sport and has the right to post same on the forums regardless of their level of shooting or knowledge of firearms.

Case in point, when I first started posting to the SASS WIRE, it was in the capacity of a "greenhorn" to this sport, but I started by posting questions that a new shooter would ask, and eventually, posted videos of my shoots with a detail breakdown of what happened, how I felt, and what went wrong. I did this to help not only other new shooters, but (1) guests who may be reading the WIRE and possibly interested in joining SASS see what they may be up against, (2) get positive feedback from my fellow SASS members on what I was doing wrong and how to correct it, and (3) pure entertainment.

Hopefully this will help to better understand my position when I post to the forums, and why I think many may have been slighted by the remark in question.

Good lord...

Looks like you think that folks with my opinion are dense... Like we can't see the contributions of  less experienced shooters.

Well I never said that. 

What I did say was that if all you do is shoot at a small club...YOUR small club... Than perhaps you should avoid giving the impression that you are some well experienced SASS shooter.

Low badge numbers and years on the Wire can be deceiving to new shooters.

Phantom

Just saw this request for complaining and SASS bashing.

I hate that SASS shoots aren't always convenient with my schedule.  I hate that my SASS ammo doesn't reload itself.  I hate that I don't see my SASS pards more often.

Now for the bashing

We need to bash down all those targets-the faster the better.

I feel better now.

This has been around forever.  It is what it is.  SASS was kind of a victim of its own success.  People were having so much fun just having fun, the people of the other shooting games who weren't having fun because of all the stuff we complain about now (modifications, hypercompetitiveness,  active retirees becoming "semi-professionals" at it, etc.), came into the fold and brought all their bad habits with them.  I never let any of it bother me.  I always just tried to do my personal best.  No, I'm not an early retiree with a range in my backyard, a Dillon progressive in the garage, and real Colts in the gun locker.  No way I'll be at the top of the list of match results, but I never wanted to be.  Every shooting game has its hangups.  For instance, amateur trap needs more categories, as there are a lot of people who can't shoot themselves out of D class, which means they are locked out of the fun of moving back yards in the handicap line.  In fact, they moved me UP a yard.  To me, 27 is just a number on some shotgun shells that are overpowered for my purposes.

Archived