SASS Wire Forum

Reporters - Never Get It Right About Guns (or Firearms)

Subdeacon Joe

Yup---Load going into cannon backwards.

The officer (whatever he is)is pointing to the guy ready to load the cannon. The guy loading is looking at him. The officer is saying, "You idiot, turn it around"!:lol:

22 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

It's not just the reporters.  Sometimes the gun makers themselves get confused. 

HKnocompromise.jpg

I'll bet that the HK image is the product of some marketing folks, not gun people; marketing people are very close to "reporters".

LL

Am I correct, that when this type of cannon goes off, it violently bucks to the rear?

If this is indeed what happens, then the soldier preparing to light the charge, has his hand on one of the spokes of the cannon wheel.

5ae8887485f76_HoldingCanonWheel.JPG.fb1fb71fd409a3266fd415439944a5a5.JPG

Assuming this is not a good idea, as his hand would get mauled when that wheel spins backward?

Not defending reporters (because most don't know crap when they see it), but this seems to me to be the artist of the picture  screwup!  Just sayin...................

will it shoot backwards?

55 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Am I correct, that when this type of cannon goes off, it violently bucks to the rear?

If this is indeed what happens, then the soldier preparing to light the charge, has his hand on one of the spokes of the cannon wheel.

free ride...

58 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Assuming this is not a good idea, as his hand would get mauled when that wheel spins backward?

I believe that the first image shows the (I believe to be) Assistant Gunner is using a spike to rupture the powder bag prior to inserting 

the fuse or detonator. 

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

The fellow holding on to the wheel is preparing to punch a hole in the powder bag.

As others have said, #3 is ready to prick and prime.  As to the guns jumping back, the video posted shows that it isn't a sharp, sudden recoil.  Easy to let go.  However, once he had pricked the charge and inserted the quill he would step away from the gun.

2 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I believe that the first image shows the (I believe to be) Assistant Gunner is using a spike to rupture the powder bag prior to inserting 

the fuse or detonator. 

And, if you look at the rear of the carriage, you will see a trooper moving the tongue and the Gunner is behind the cannon aiming.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

However, once he had pricked the charge and inserted the quill he would step away from the gun.

"The quill"?

The man between the officer and the guy aiming is holding a burning match on a pole.

I assumed that once the guy with the spike punctured the bag, he'd just stick the match to the touchhole.

What is this "quill" you mention?

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

None of us here would make that mistake...

Speak for yourself. I use rimmed cartridges for a reason!

Alpo, the quill used to be made from the quill of a goose feather.  The quill was cut to length,  filled with fine powder, inserted thru the touchhole and into the chamber.  The quill was lit, fire went down the quill into the chamber....BOOM!

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

"The quill"?

The man between the officer and the guy aiming is holding a burning match on a pole.

I assumed that once the guy with the spike punctured the bag, he'd just stick the match to the touchhole.

What is this "quill" you mention?

The Quill is a primer that is detonated with friction. It is inserted into the touch hole and attached to the lanyard. When the lanyard is pulled,  friction activates it

and ignites the powder in the pouch below,  that was punched with the spike.  An alternate method is to fill the touch hole with black powder and light it with a punk or burning cord. Either way, it is supposed to go BOOM!

2 different descriptions of a "quill", both correct.  Goose quill early, friction igniter later.

The Quill is a primer that is detonated with friction. It is inserted into the touch hole and attached to the lanyard. When the lanyard is pulled,  friction activates it

and ignites the powder in the pouch below,  that was punched with the spike.

Not quite.  What you described is a "friction primer." 
Image result for friction primer
Image result for friction primer patent drawing

An alternate method is to fill the touch hole with black powder and light it with a punk or burning cord. Either way, it is supposed to go BOOM!

Passed the mid-1700s that was rarely done by field artillery.  It had been replace by the quill.  Image result for artillery quill

Image result for artillery quill

No more flask.  No more wind blowing the powder off the top of the vent.  Just:

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

touch the slow match on your Linstock Image result for linstock

Image result for firing a cannon with a linstock

and, if all the cannoneers have done their jobs properly, your piece discharges.  Quills are almost as fast as friction primers.  Reenactors make them in several ways.  One is to use paper soda straws if you can find them.  The other is to get old fashioned cellophane tape - not always easy - take a strip about 8 or 9 inches long, wrap it sticky-side out around a skewer, then roll it in FFFFg powder.  Store it in a plastic soda straw.  These cost about three or 4 cents to make, opposed to the over a dollar each for friction primers.

1 hour ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

When I attenden The U.S. Army's  Comanche County Cannon Cockers College we loaded from the other end,  it was a new thing at the time!

Just like metallic cartridges, a fancy new fad.  It will never last.:D

So now we have big bucket bottoms in the game?

Another off the cuff question;

HOW COME THESE GUYS ARE DRESSED IN THEIR CLASS A UNIFORMS

AND PLAYING WITH BLACK POWDER?

they are lending dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

5 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Just to be a little picky, the bucket should be wider at the bottom than at the top.

I thought those type were metal.

All wood buckets I've ever seen were wider at the top.

5 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

So now we have big bucket bottoms in the game?

Another off the cuff question;

HOW COME THESE GUYS ARE DRESSED IN THEIR CLASS A UNIFORMS

AND PLAYING WITH BLACK POWDER?

1.  Because one can never be too well dressed before the enemy.  After all, these artillerymen are part of the Imperial Guard.

2.  The picture is illustrating the plastic soldiers inside

.https://www.emodels.co.uk/zvezda-1-72-french-foot-artillery-1812-1814-8028-plastic-model-kit.html

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=965

3.  The bucket bottoms are correct on the plastic soldiers.

image.png.42fd08a66f54f3396cc26fd4883b035f.png

Wide bottom and narrow top helps keep the liquid inside the bucket when it is being carried. Especially when it is slung under the gun carriage.

It also makes is more stable when the mop is inserted and removed during the heat of battle.

Archived