SASS Wire Forum

Richard masons not going 1/2 cock

Been shooting my open tops for a while now so my 60  Richard masons have been sitting, last week I decided to bring em out, one won't go to 1/2 cock! It wants to continue on to next notch (the one that won't let t g e cylinder rotate)I can get it 1/2 cocked if I play with it enough.  I took it apart this morning, cleaned it put a new trigger spring in and still no joy. I did put a wolf hammer spring in before I put her away my other one works fine with the springs. Help!

Rafe

Hammer cam wear and or cylinder bolt leg worn / damaged / bent. 

I Had the same experience with a pair of RM types myself. Mine was sudden hammer cam wear. As I understand there is more than one style of hammer cams on Uberti's, most likely yours are "D " cams which I've have learned are known for this problem. The other possible cause my be the cylinder bolt leg being damaged causing incorrect contact and wear on the hammer cam. I figured mine out, it took awhile and about a dozen times disassembling mine! I hope yours is just the cylinder bolt, cheaper and easy to correct. 

I would send them off to Mike @Goonsgunworks.com and have them tuned up right .

They will last a lifetime when you get them back .

Rooster 

oh defiantly going back to my open tops they are my main match guns, the RMs are my backups, just wanted to play with them since I have not shot them in a few years and had old smokeless ammo that I wanted to burn up! Just wondering what happened it worked fine when they were my main match guns before I got my open tops, and wanted to fix it before  I needed to use them if my open tops go south.

Rafe

Archived