SASS Wire Forum

comparison between governor, mountain and red hawk 45LC

Trigger Mike

I am familiar with the S & W  Governor.  A great pistol that shoots 45ac with a moon clip, 45 LC and 410.  I have sent a snake or two to perdition with it.  the down side is it is real heavy.  Despite the weight it kicks a good bit.  I don't mind the recoil but I do notice it.  Even in a shoulder holster you can tell how heavy it is.  How does the S & W mountain and Ruger Redhawk in 45 ACP and 45 LC compare?  I assume the red hawk uses moon clips for the 45 auto like the governor.  How do they compare based on your experience?  when carrying it during snake season I would likely put snake shot in it since the governor carries 410 currently.  I might have a mixture of 3 round shot shell and 3 rounds lead cowboy rounds as well.  

I find shoulder holsters to very uncomfortable for any gun with any real weight to it.  Even well-built rigs cannot evenly distribute that much weight, I find a belt holster much better suited for heavy wheel guns. 

Anyways addressing the original question.  I do not own a Mountain gun, but I do own an older S&W Model 25 in 45colt which is essentially a blued version of the S&W 625 Mt. Gun.  I find the S&W N frame to be the perfect balance of large bore yet still reasonably balanced revolver.  While the novelty of being able to shoot 45auto, 45colt, and .410 in one gun is appealing, the reality is you can be equally well served by one gun in 45colt alone.  Even if you do not reload, 45colt shotshells are readily available.  One can also find factory 45colt ammo that matches and exceeds 45auto performance.  

I'd find a lighter gun than any mentioned.  A snake don't take much killin.

I have a S&W 625 "Mountain Gun."  At 36 ounces, that may be too heavy for your liking, but recoil is quite manageable.  I've carried my Mountain Gun on trail hikes in a good hip holster and was not bothered by the weight.

S&W 625-9 "Mountain Gun" in .45 Colt

A9FXOY.jpg

3PBvap.jpg

http://www.gunblast.com/SW625Mountain.htm

I've owned (past tense) both the 25-5 and the Redhawks in .45 Colt.

Both served my purposes well.   I've never owned the Governor.

If you are going to use some 'Godzilla' loads, I would opt for the Ruger.   But otherwise, I really liked the Smith.   The Smith was a great feeling pistol to shoot.

..........Widder

Archived