SASS Wire Forum

No Room At The Campfire

I've found the fastest shooters to be some of the most helpful. I do notice that THEY get treated differently.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

I've found the fastest shooters to be some of the most helpful. I do notice that THEY get treated differently.

Well of course they do, most of them have their own business and/or publicity agents who see that they are well received by fans and their autograph stations are in place when they arrive in their limos with their entourage.  Most have lucrative deals in place with various ammunition, reloading and western apparel vendors so there usually is a flurry of activity when they arrive and also when the vendors arrive to supply them with match ammo, polished guns, clean shirts to wear and polished boots.

Now, back to the real world............. Using one of my regular monthly matches as an example, last month the reigning  forty-niner national champion and the overall fastest shooter at Winter range were both there as well as half a dozen of the top 10 shooters in the state but if a stranger were to visit they would have never known it since they act no differently and are treated no differently than anyone else.  :D

Sorry, but I just don't buy the special treatment you speak of unless the Arizona top shooters are different than all the others.  THEY ARE JUST REGULAR DOWN TO EARTH FOLKS and in my mind don't deserve this constant barrage of negative comments about them.

14 minutes ago, Deadeye George said:

Well of course they do, most of them have their own business and/or publicity agents who see that they are well received by fans and their autograph stations are in place when they arrive in their limos with their entourage.  Most have lucrative deals in place with various ammunition, reloading and western apparel vendors so there usually is a flurry of activity when they arrive and also when the vendors arrive to supply them with match ammo, polished guns, clean shirts to wear and polished boots.

Now, back to the real world............. Using one of my regular monthly matches as an example, last month the reigning  forty-niner national champion and the overall fastest shooter at Winter range were both there as well as half a dozen of the top 10 shooters in the state but if a stranger were to visit they would have never known it since they act no differently and are treated no differently than anyone else.  :D

Sorry, but I just don't buy the special treatment you speak of unless the Arizona top shooters are different than all the others.  THEY ARE JUST REGULAR DOWN TO EARTH FOLKS and in my mind don't deserve this constant barrage of negative comments about them.

I think it's jealousy.  Some folks just don't want to give credit to the top shooters for all the hard work they put in perfecting their game.  It's so much more satisfying to call them gamers, imply they cheat, give the credit to their slicked up guns, blame them because stages aren't being written the way they 'should' be. 

Bottom line they have a lot of natural talent and are willing to put in the hard work to get really good, both those qualities engender envy on the part of some.

If THEY do get treated differently, it's by the folks like me that have known their names, but never met them in person. Last weekend I was fortunate enough to meet both Doc Shapiro and Johnny Meadows. Both outstanding shooters, but even better, very great people. They were both so very helpful and welcoming. I had spoken with Doc on here and had spoken with Johnny Meadows on the phone a few times when buying guns from him, but never in person. So perhaps I was a little more in awe and trying hard not to let my inner groupie show, but that would be about all the extra special treatment these fine folks received.

I dont believe the Top Shooters are treated any different then anyone else .

In fact every Top Shooter I have ever met , Takes a great deal of there own personal time

Too  Help anyone and everyone who ask them for help .    

They spend hours and hours developing there skills and then show you how they do it when you ask them.

Deuce Stevens has spent a lot of time helping me out when I started in the sport about 10 years ago.

In fact he is the Top Shooter who took the time to introduce me to the sport the very first time I met him .

I dont have the time to invest in to the sport to be a Top Shooter .

But the Top Shooters always takes the time to help me out if needed .

I thank everyone of you for that .

Rooster Ron Wayne 

Hi Folks,

I've been around for a while and have never been considered a top shooter. Some of them don't like me and never pass up a chance to show it. IMO, that has nothing to do with their shooting skill and everything to do with personalities (theirs and mine).

The vast majority of top shooters are respectful to everyone, kind, helpful, and fun to shoot with.

IIRC, someone wrote that top shooters are more patient with others who have different skill levels than the purists (for lack of a better term) are. The purists espouse how our beloved sport has declined due to the need for speed. Well, I'm still here and I get slower every year. Sure, I'd love to be faster. I just don't have the motivation or physical ability to make that happen. I blame no one but myself for that. I still enjoy many aspects of our sport, especially costuming, shooting clean, and the people.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I'm one of those weird folks that has a knack of annoying people.  What can I tell you... It's a gift.

But, everyone has still been nice to me, and even gracious.  It's been near 18 years now, and no one has shot me yet. 

Yes, as in any other human gathering, their may be clicques, but any time I asked a top shooter a question, they were sure to give me a patient answer and a demonstration.  There is a lot of way cool folks here.

So, I may be the exception to the coolness factor, but I've always been treated well.

So, I'm sticking around.  Y'all can't run me off that easy!

:D

I shot matches with most of Top Shooters Florida has and was always treated  great by them.    They run the timers, reset targets, pickup brass and run the matches.     Never had one that didn't work or you had to ask to help.  

16 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Mind explaining that?

I'll use you as an example. Nicest guy in the world but your abilities can intimidate some other shooters so they wont approach you. They dont get the chance to know you. I, on the other hand, have no issues with being shy. As you well know.

15 hours ago, Deadeye George said:

You misunderstand. Please see post above.

For me a lot of fun went out of the sport not just because of stand and deliver stages, where every activity except shooting has to be "off the clock" but simply because the notion of using old-west firearms went away. Especially galling were all the modern modifications, the short stroke kits for rifle and pistol, etc. To me, without meaning to disparage anyone else, that simply meant CAS was "just another shooting sport" replete with race guns -- IPSC in boots and hats. There should always have been one category for old west guns without modern mods -- but we were told that was impossible to regulate. Oh well.

3 minutes ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

For me a lot of fun went out of the sport not just because of stand and deliver stages, where every activity except shooting has to be "off the clock" but simply because the notion of using old-west firearms went away. Especially galling were all the modern modifications, the short stroke kits for rifle and pistol, etc. To me, without meaning to disparage anyone else, that simply meant CAS was "just another shooting sport" replete with race guns -- IPSC in boots and hats. There should always have been one category for old west guns without modern mods -- but we were told that was impossible to regulate. Oh well.

Well, there is the problem when skilled shooters can shoot faster than their gun.

2 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Well, there is the problem when skilled shooters can shoot faster than their gun.

I wouldn't know. My average times when I'm all practiced up are easily measured with a sun dial.

25 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Easily solved with stronger springs.  Lock time is important.

Back to topic...

I also miss some of the things from "Back in the day".  Robbing the bank and carrying the money bags from position to position, etc.  When time permits, I'll get a prop or two together and submit some stages for the local match.  I'm not going to gripe about it unless I'm willing to do something about it.

This past weekend was the CA state match.  I had a ball!  The best part wasn't the shooting.  It was the time spent with old friends, and new friends after the shooting was done.  My son and I were welcomed at every camp we stopped at.  Maybe it helped that I had a bottle of whiskey to share (that is, of course, in jest)?

@Redwood Kid, it was great meeting you too!

25 minutes ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

You're still harping on this after all these years.

But you are mis-representing the debate. You and others that wanted this "Stock Category" were told to come up with rules and such...work out the details at your local club and report back. There was someone else that I can't recall the alias of that swore he was going to get it done. Never happened. So in essence, you were and still are wanting a category that apparently isn't practical.

Phantom

9 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

But you are mis-representing the debate. You and others that wanted this "Stock Category" were told to come up with rules and such...work out the details at your local club and report back. There was someone else that I can't recall the alias of that swore he was going to get it done. Never happened. So in essence, you were and still are wanting a category that apparently isn't practical.

Phantom

Was that Bisley Joe?

4 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Was that Bisley Joe?

Now there's a name to remember...but no, it was someone else. Swore that he was going to make it work and never heard back from him on it...might have even been Oddnews, but I don't think so.

Hope yer doing well Doc!!!!

Phantom

2 hours ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

If you don’t want short stroked guns and want to shoot original Winchester’s and Colts it’s entirely up to you, no one is stopping you. Very few clubs that I shoot with have stand and deliver stages, maybe during the heat of the summer to cut down on heat stress they’ll have a stand and deliver stage or two. Has the sport evolved into a speed sport? Yes it has and that’s what’s probably kept it alive, IMHO. As we age we’re not able to do some of the stuff that we used to be required to do to shoot a stage. No matter what SASS does or local match directors do there will always be those that aren’t happy and complain, that’s what we do. 

I'm amazed at some of the attitudes that bubble to the surface towards the top shooters in these types of posts. It usually devolves down to someones personal view on the "royalty" in our game, which I guess I am lucky to haven't ever experienced like those with the negative attitudes. I can't begin to mention all the top shooters that I've been fortunate to posse with and learn from during the last decade. 

I will say the world champs from seasoned to young I have met are some of the most accepting genuine people. Those that can burn down a stage in under 12 seconds to a fellow { U S Grant }that walked up to the loading table at my 1st EOT and asked me " what the hell are we doing here?" have always made me feel welcome and accepted.

Yes the game is always changing, like life itself IMO, but I still practice throwing my tomahawk just in case the need arises at a match:D  Gods honest truth!

Instead of tearing down others abilities, trying to improve myself has been a more productive way for me to participate!

I wish I had the problem of running faster than my equipment.;) But I'll keep trying!

1 hour ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

Stand and Deliver stages are kind of a rarity in my neck o' the woods.  Is it a regional thing?  Sounds like maybe you want a "Big Irons - Box Stock" category.  Not hard to do as far as power factor.  Then you'd have to measure the lever throw of every rifle.  Would the Miroku Winchester '73 be disqualified because it's lever throw is a tad shorter than a stock Uberti or an original Winchester?  (That's how it's done in NCOWS).  Is there a natural difference between the same guns of different year's manufacture, say a Model 2 Win 73 and a Model 3 Win 73?  Will you have to measure the hammer travel of every pistol?   I'm not knocking the concept, just wondering what ideas you have for base rules.  Will this be a Classic Cowboy type category, or is it regular SASS rules?  A lot of categories started at Club level and caught fire.  If you've thought it through, post the ground rules for the category and let others have a look.  I'm sure everyone would want to know what kind of participation this would draw at club level before having TG's kick it up the chain.

I'm game.  I have "Race Guns" and I have "Box Stock" guns.  I have those evil Cap'n Ball guns, and some original Winchesters.  No one has stopped me from using my Box Stock guns yet.  

I don't hear the crying being talked about. Just opinion. "For your consideration" take it or leave it.

The Rule Book discusses 'Cowboy Action Shooting' . You have to dress the part. Restrictions are around the cowboy era gear we are enacting. You can't 'fan' your hammer etc... People speaking up to changes are just trying to preserve the initial intent.

If I want to stand and deliver, I do it in my back yard.

If I want to shoot under-loaded ammo, I do it in my back yard.

If I want to shoot naked, I promise I'll keep it in the back yard... 

If you go to an antique car show, it's about originality, not drag racing.

I drive four hours to three different ranges for more than seeing how fast I can shoot.

I cherish the opportunity to be with these guys and see their stuff and what they can do.  

I am going to Boaz, Ky this weekend. I had vascular surgery in my left arm last week. I have to shoot Josey Wales one handed. My Pard loaned me two more pistols, a cross draw holster, and I knocked down my SG load 36% so I can shoot one handed (w/o someone showing up from out of town and calling me on SOG for not engaging the target).

I am sure there will be no complaints about my modifications or rate of fire when I show up from any of the other shooters.

You do what you can, in the Spirit of the Game and should not have to concern yourself over some timer happy shooter making comment or imposing non-safety penalties just to keep you at the bottom of the list (which we could care less about in the first place).

We are not envious of fast guns, fast shooters, clean shoots...

If you think so, your a legend in your own mind.

If you don't want to dress up in Pink for the Wartrace State Match, don't.

If you don't want to say your line, don't.

If you don't want to move between stages, don't.

Take your Match DQ and have a great time... 

I'll keep my trap door shut the whole time your doing it!

I had heard talk of Evil Roy being kind of standoffish and snobby since I got into SASS late 2014. Folks talked about how all he wanted to do is sell his guns and videos, just wanted to be the "top dog" and didn't care about anything or anyone but himself. I've seen him at a couple of shoots in AZ and TX, but never had the opportunity to meet the man.

All I knew of him was what I heard and what I've seen of him on TV shows.

Well, that all changed in April at Comancheria Days.

Not only were Evil Roy and Wicked Felina there, they were on my posse! Holy cow!

I did not get to spend a lot of time talking with him as others were eager to take up his time and he knows a LOT of people. But just watching him and talking briefly with both of them, it seems all the rumors are just that, rumors.

Evil Roy impressed me as a rather quiet, unassuming man that loves guns, shooting, CAS, his wife and life in general. Can he speak his mind and does he have knowledge of what he speaks? By the semi load!

But both of them seem like wonderful people that really enjoy the sport and the people they get to know. I hope to shoot with them again and maybe get to talk with them more. They seem like the type of people that make this an absolutely fantastic way of life.

Now, watching Evil Roy shoot. That is poetry in motion. Holy crap, I have a lot to work on.

Contrast that with a gentleman I met this past weekend that is a Cowboy Fast Draw shooter. All he could talk about was how good he is, what his standing is in CFD, how well he taught his granddaughters and what their standing is in CFD, oh, by the way, what his standing is, how fast he is, did I mention how I taught my granddaughters to shoot and where they are in the standings, here's how I shoot and did I mention where I am in the standings, ...... repeat, recycle, repeat,.....

That was one of the longest 7 minute "listening" events of my life. I mentioned I'm a SASS member, got about 30 seconds of talking time, then back to listening about his standings, his granddaughters, repeat, repeat,...

Some people are just that way.

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

True. I remember that and even tried to help them come up with requirements. I have no clue why the front-man (not Oddnews, although he took part in the discussions) for a stock-gun category is no longer on the Wire.

8 minutes ago, Lost Trail said:

I had heard talk of Evil Roy being kind of standoffish and snobby since I got into SASS late 2014. Folks talked about how all he wanted to do is sell his guns and videos, just wanted to be the "top dog" and didn't care about anything or anyone but himself. I've seen him at a couple of shoots in AZ and TX, but never had the opportunity to meet the man.

All I knew of him was what I heard and what I've seen of him on TV shows.

Well, that all changed in April at Comancheria Days.

Not only were Evil Roy and Wicked Felina there, they were on my posse! Holy cow!

I did not get to spend a lot of time talking with him as others were eager to take up his time and he knows a LOT of people. But just watching him and talking briefly with both of them, it seems all the rumors are just that, rumors.

Evil Roy impressed me as a rather quiet, unassuming man that loves guns, shooting, CAS, his wife and life in general. Can he speak his mind and does he have knowledge of what he speaks? By the semi load!

But both of them seem like wonderful people that really enjoy the sport and the people they get to know. I hope to shoot with them again and maybe get to talk with them more. They seem like the type of people that make this an absolutely fantastic way of life.

Now, watching Evil Roy shoot. That is poetry in motion. Holy crap, I have a lot to work on.

I thoroughly agree with this assessment of Roy and Felina. I've talked to them at the SASS Conventions. They are both nice people.. They are reserved; but definitely not standoffish.

The "stars" I have personally met have all been wonderful, gracious, friendly, courteous, and helpful as the day is long. Some perhaps more than others but even the least of them earns an A+ with who they are.

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

True. I remember that and even tried to help them come up with requirements. I have no clue why the front-man (not Oddnews, although he took part in the discussions) for a stock-gun category is no longer on the Wire.

And I remember other changes to categories being driven from the top down, via the organization. In any case, I'm not pushing for change now. Traditional guns aren't what the sport apparently desired. So mote it be.

4 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'll use you as an example. Nicest guy in the world but your abilities can intimidate some other shooters so they wont approach you. They dont get the chance to know you. I, on the other hand, have no issues with being shy. As you well know.

This is actually pretty funny to me and I will explain why, the first time I met Deuce at Winter Range, the very first time, before the night was over it involved good food, maybe a beer or two, and Straight Arrow jumping on the hood of Chili Peppers car, and we laughed so dang much my side hurt. My point is...he is one of the most redneckest guys in the sport...not like Texas redneck, but kind of a cross between like Michigan and a Hawaiian Sumo Wrestler redneck, definitely a rare breed, but easily approachable, even when his midget buddy is with him, and his Big Guy sidekick, no different than the rest of us....

11 minutes ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

And I remember other changes to categories being driven from the top down, via the organization. In any case, I'm not pushing for change now. Traditional guns aren't what the sport apparently desired. So mote it be.

Hi Oddnews,

I may have one explanation for why the sport evolved away from out-of-the-box guns. One of my dear BFFs started with an out-of-the-box Rossi. It was painful to watch. The moral to that story, to me, is that people don't want to fight their guns. I'm so glad that she got a slicker gun and kept with our sport.

About your statement "changes to categories being driven from the top down, via the organization," I don't know anything about that. Can you explain why you wrote that?

Regards,

Allie Mo

24 minutes ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

Change happens all of the time if it didn’t we’d be crawling into and out of bathtubs, riding adult rocking horses and stick horses, dragging dummies under wagons on our hands and knees and probably dropping dead before the first stage is complete. I went to one of these types of matches a few years ago out at  Pala and not only did it take a loooong time for the posse to shoot the stage it took a couple of weeks to recover. Mrs. Lose didn’t like having to wash the catsup stains out of my clothes that were left there from shooting the catsup and mayonnaise packets while you were in the bathtub. A couple of years ago at one of our matches we had to ride a stick horse from one side of the stage to the other and some visitors from the pistol match on another part of the range were observing and based on their comments they weren’t impressed and wouldn’t be back to join us. 

Threads like this are interesting. I find it particularly telling to look at who is causing the divisiveness and who are the only ones doing the attacking and making accusations. It really is sad that some folks can’t be content with playing this game with others who may just want to play it a little differently. 

4 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Threads like this are interesting. I find it particularly telling to look at who is causing the divisiveness and who are the only ones doing the attacking and making accusations. It really is sad that some folks can’t be content with playing this game with others who may just want to play it a little differently. 

When I was first introduced to CAS and SASS by my oldest brother, Bluewater Ringer, I had all these grand ideas about getting good enough to compete at the highest level of whatever category I registered in.

Then I shot my first match, Fire & Ice, day 2. Had to skip day 1 since BR got a call that there might be a liver available for his transplant. Didn't happen so we made day 2.

After watching a few shooters ahead of me, my aspirations of being an instant success and high-level competitor began to dissipate somewhat. After shooting my first stage, I realized that it would be a long road to ever become a top level competitor, if I could even make it happen.

Now looking this coming November being my 4 year anniversary in SASS, I realize that every once in a while, I get lucky and break into the top 5 and have one First Place 49'r plaque sitting on a shelf. First place out of 3 shooters, but hey, it's still a 1st place.

Most of my stages I can be pretty consistent, but I keep having equipment malfunctions with my rifle, mainly after I let some gunsmith monkey with it. Got to stop doing that.

I have had a couple of run-ins with people that just don't mix well with others during my time in SASS, but it seems others have too. Hopefully, those folks weed themselves out and can move on to some other activity that they fit into. But the vast majority of SASS folks are fun, good hearted, likeable, helpful people that I really enjoy seeing over and over, then miss on the drive home.

Most people are ready to lend ammo, gun(s), advice, jokes and encouragement. We should all be so lucky to be surrounded by these types of people in our everyday life, not just when we're playing cowboy or cowgirl.

44 minutes ago, COLORADO JACKSON said:

This is actually pretty funny to me and I will explain why, the first time I met Deuce at Winter Range, the very first time, before the night was over it involved good food, maybe a beer or two, and Straight Arrow jumping on the hood of Chili Peppers car, and we laughed so dang much my side hurt. My point is...he is one of the most redneckest guys in the sport...not like Texas redneck, but kind of a cross between like Michigan and a Hawaiian Sumo Wrestler redneck, definitely a rare breed, but easily approachable, even when his midget buddy is with him, and his Big Guy sidekick, no different than the rest of us....

Ya got to watch the three amigo's there. It can get, uh, interesting at times! 

5 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Easily solved with stronger springs.  Lock time is important.

Back to topic...

I also miss some of the things from "Back in the day".  Robbing the bank and carrying the money bags from position to position, etc.  When time permits, I'll get a prop or two together and submit some stages for the local match.  I'm not going to gripe about it unless I'm willing to do something about it.

This past weekend was the CA state match.  I had a ball!  The best part wasn't the shooting.  It was the time spent with old friends, and new friends after the shooting was done.  My son and I were welcomed at every camp we stopped at.  Maybe it helped that I had a bottle of whiskey to share (that is, of course, in jest)?

@Redwood Kid, it was great meeting you too!

I don't remember that whisky bottle. I take back all the nice things I said about you!

1 hour ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

46 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

About your statement "changes to categories being driven from the top down, via the organization," I don't know anything about that. Can you explain why you wrote that?

Regards,

Allie Mo

Howdy Allie, good to hear from you Oddnews. I remember it very well. We all suggested get the rules together and grow it locally from the bottom up like we did FCGF, it took many years to get that approved. A bunch of said "OK, we'll help and offer it at our local matches".  Oddnews did not want to go that route, and suggested the category should come down straight from the brass at SASS, via top down. IINM it was Rev. Sayer Prayers that was one of the ones that offered to get things going, sure do miss him. Good Luck:)

Archived