SASS Wire Forum

Cleaning a 1873 Rifle Chamber

TN Mongo, SASS #61450

When shooting BP, I thoroughly clean guns, including the inside of my rifle’s magazine tube.  However, when we shoot smokeless, they don’t get cleaned every match.  I lubricate the actions and wipe the blued surfaces with an oil rag, but that’s about it.  We normally shoot three weekends a month and we’re still working full time.  They’re lucky to get a full cleaning every couple of months.

I recently had the bolt assembly replaced in my .357 1873 rifle.  I was sitting with my good friend and gunsmith while he was working on the rifle.  He remarked that my chamber was filthy and was covered with “baked-on carbon”.  He said this in a tone that he might of used to address someone who had just drop-kicked a puppy.

Sheepishly, I agreed to give the rifle a good cleaning when he gave it back.  I was able to rig-up a chamber brush using a .45 brass brush, a piece of flat stock aluminum, and a nut.  My invention worked well on my wife’s rifle that is pretty new, but it was not very effective on my well worn Codymatic .

Does somebody make a chamber brush that will fit in a 73 action?  If I could find a short enough .45 brass brush, I could put a cleaning rod down the bore and screw the brush on while it’s in the receiver.

Any advise would be appreciated.     

I made one by bending a regular brush about 60° and screwing it onto a pistol rod.  Used it on my 73.

I've seen such brushes and swabs made for the "tacticool" rifles. I just didn't want to pay 10x more because it was "tacticool".

4 hours ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

Not to hijack the topic but how do you use the scraper?  Thanks Bullett 19707

In a revolver, insert the scraper and turn with appropriate screwdriver. In a rifle, insert appropriate sized cleaning rod from muzzle and attach it to scraper in the open action and then pull/twist into chamber. 

I clean my Winchester clones front to back with the action upside down.  I've looked but never found carbon or crud in the chambers of my 44-40s after a thorough cleaning.  My 357s will occasionally get a carbon or lead ring after a steady diet of 38s.  I use a single piece of 357 Maximum brass that has been lightly flared in my expander die and chamfered to scrape that offending ring out of my chambers.

Archived