SASS Wire Forum

What was (is) your favorite cartoon artist/strip?

27 minutes ago, Lead Monger said:

BC, Wizard of Id and Hagar the Horrible. The Far Side is always good.

Lead Monger:

Wizard of Id, collaboration with Johnny Hart of BC fame.

Hagar the adorable Viking.

5ae36ef0096c3_TheWizardofIdComic.thumb.jpg.48ba0a30970333ea11dd049a555d77d6.jpg

5ae36ef50cccc_HagartheHorribleComic.thumb.jpg.3b15e51978534917bd13da63a4298176.jpg

Calvin & Hobbes, easily, (our daughters bought me the complete C&H hardbound books to accompany all the soft-bound I already had), followed closely by The Far Side by Gary Larson.

cat-showers.jpg

Midvale.jpg

C-H_GiftedChild.jpg

Dilbert would be next on my list.  Back when Dilbert was young, Scott Adams used to take submissions for story ideas.  I sent him a real life tale once of a trip I took with my boss, and for years after I would find comics that I was POSITIVE were inspired by my story.  For a couple of years I was printing them out and collecting them.  I had at least a dozen in that folder, maybe 2. 

I also once sent him a list of things my boss had said.  He named one of them THE scariest thing a boss had ever said, ever.  It was:  "I was thinking about you in the shower this morning, and I thought of a nickname for you ... Mathmagician!"

Aw, POGO!  "we have met the enemy and he is us"

Far Side, Dilbert, and Wizard of ID. One of my favorite cartoons was the King in Wizard of ID up in his tower, issuing a proclamation to the peasants below:

"Now all those in favor of my new gun ban, give me a thumbs up".

"I said THUMBS!!!".

I used to work at Hallmark Cards and got to meet Charles Schulz. And while employed there, I also got to meet Joey Bishop and sat next to him in a seminar of less than 10 people.

Interesting people who weren't full of themselves and didn't behave the way "celebrities" do today. 

7 hours ago, Sagebrush Burns, SASS # 14226 said:

A blast from the past:  Chas Addams.

Sagebrush:

What a pleasant surprise. :o

Never realized there was a comic strip about the Addams Family.

You learn something new every day.

5ae45cbae537a_TheAddamsFamily.thumb.png.fe501e7f89f2120f1a8c79fe8cf7dc7d.png

Created by Charles Addams, appropriately.

5ae45ce2c2ad0_CharlesAddams.JPG.fef67bba68fbfac994e8f8a14e53a998.JPG

13 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Calvin & Hobbes

Gary Larsen

Bill Kliban's cats

And the world at large

Imis

Imis:

Wasn't familiar with him.

5ae468dd8e8b1_KilbanCatsComic.jpg.845c2f7099ed49f1e6407a927d5c4b91.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

51Us9ImbG8L._SY327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Absolutely! I first read the strip in the Great Falls, Montana, Tribune while stationed up there back in the late '60's.  Followed it until it was dropped by the Denver Post after I finished my tour of duty.  We had  a full colonel who, when not in uniform, dressed in blue jeans, a black sweatshirt, cowboy boots an a black Stetson hat. He had a thin black mustache (it was a handlebar before the wing commander insisted he trim it).  He was one of the finest officers under whom I served.  But, guess what we called him when he wasn't within hearing distance>? :ph34r: :D

Also liked Pogo. Walt Kelly's sense of political humor was tops!  "We have met the enemy and he is us!" ;)

I like war cartoons and am partial to Bill Mauldins work. I’m biased as I had the pleasure of working with with his grandson at my last duty assignment with the 3rd ACR at Fort Carson. He was a 1st lt at the time 1996-1997

11 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Tank MacNamara by Jeff Millar and Bill Hinds

Eyebeam by Sam Hurt (very obscure, but a hoot)

I WAS a big Peanuts fan til Schultz started pushing gun control. Never read it again.

image.png.7601dc97a28713028519a3afe5af1a62.pngimage.thumb.png.1d8eacaf5dcd912c9ce6b13f042b795d.png

Not by Schultz but I like them.

On 4/28/2018 at 4:38 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Sagebrush:

What a pleasant surprise. :o

Never realized there was a comic strip about the Addams Family.

You learn something new every day.

5ae45cbae537a_TheAddamsFamily.thumb.png.fe501e7f89f2120f1a8c79fe8cf7dc7d.png

Created by Charles Addams, appropriately.

5ae45ce2c2ad0_CharlesAddams.JPG.fef67bba68fbfac994e8f8a14e53a998.JPG

Went for years without very many captions.   Matter of fact I only remember one.

16 hours ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

I like war cartoons and am partial to Bill Mauldins work. I’m biased as I had the pleasure of working with with his grandson at my last duty assignment with the 3rd ACR at Fort Carson. He was a 1st lt at the time 1996-1997

Third Cavalry..."Brave Rifles"!

Archived