SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1886

Tex Jones, SASS 2263

I saw that a local gun shop has a full length Uberti 1886 on the rack.  I had a Browning that I sold a few years ago, as I was getting out of long range shooting, but now I'm having second thoughts.  Does anyone have one, and what do you think of it?  Fit and finish on the Uberti looked pretty good.

Tex

4 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I didn't know Uberti made an '86.  Pedersoli and Chiappa make them.  If it is an Uberti then possibly made by Pedersoli.

Ding Ding!

Pedersoli make the 86 that Uberti sell and it is a beauty to behold.

I have one (bought thru Pedersoli rep in Australia as the Uberti rep wasn't bringing it in) and I love it.

A number of Aussies have them and people are using everything from 500gr casts down to 300 commercial rounds.

I have never heard anything but good things about them and again I love mine.

1866-4.JPG

1866-2.JPG

3 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

Ding Ding!

Pedersoli make the 86 that Uberti sell and it is a beauty to behold.

I have one (bought thru Pedersoli rep in Australia as the Uberti rep wasn't bringing it in) and I love it.

A number of Aussies have them and people are using everything from 500gr casts down to 300 commercial rounds.

I have never heard anything but good things about them and again I love mine.

1866-4.JPG

1866-2.JPG

Thanks, Major.

Looks just like the one in the shop, except the wood has a flat finish.

Tex

Beautiful Rifle 

I bought a Cimarron 1886 rifle, last year.  It is made by Chiappa, and imported by Cimarron.  The fit and finish are great.  It does differ from the one that Browning put out, several years ago, however.  Browning's 1886 was made in Japan, the Chiappa in Italy, of course.  The Cimarron/Chiappa has a color case-hardened receiver, and butt-plate...the Browning's receiver, and butt-plate are blue.   I have loaded, and fired, and levered, both the older Browning 1886, and now the Cimarron/Chiappa 1886.  I have to admit, the Browning is smoother to lever.  Perhaps with some honing, and some use, the Cimarron/Chiappa will smooth out.  Since the Browning 1886 is no longer being made, you will either have to find a used Browning, on some of the gun sites, or purchase a new one from Cimarron, or Chiappa.  I am not disappointed in the Cimarron/Chiappa.  It is a really pretty rifle, and well made.  I enjoy shooting it, and it is definitely a rifle that attracts attention at the range, or the gathering at the local cow pasture.  If you find a used Browning, or even a new-old-stock unfired one, you will pay a lot more, and won't have that much more advantage.  I do not have the take-down 1886 model, just the regular rifle, with the octagonal barrel.  I think I have seen the Chiappa even offered in a carbine version.  Browning offered their 1886 in both a rifle version, and a saddle ring carbine version too.  None of these 1886's are cheap, but nothing in our sport is....except talk that is.   

My two bits.

W.K.

I have the Browning 1886 SRC as described above. It is a thing of beauty and wonderful to shoot. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an Italian 1886 if the opportunity presented itself, and might one day. I bought the SRC because it was on consignment at my LGS. All things being equal I would prefer a longer barrel. If the wind ever stops blowing on match day I’ll see how far the SRC can reach out. 200 yards is no problem so far in less than ideal circumstances.

Archived