SASS Wire Forum

How does your club recognize/reward shooters at annual matches

Chief Rick

62 categories at EOT, probably about the same at Winter Range.

Our club has 42 categories listed for our annual.

Club expenses for matches will vary greatly due to many factors.

What do your clubs due to recognize the overall shooters (male & female) as well as the category shooters?

I keep hearing - you can only wear one buckle, I'd rather have (x) that I can use instead of a cheap/chintzy buckle, all I got was a piece of paper, etc.

One unique thing we do at annual/state matches - all clean shooters get a jar of syrup from a local syrup maker who occasionally shoots with us.

This year we did plaques and pins for clean matches. I was lucky. A local vendor does all the awards for events at the park, so they really work with us on pricing

1st may get a wooden plaque or etched mug. 2nd on down a certificate. Over-all men and women winners get something nicer. Our club is a good financial shape.

At our State shoot:

Overall shooters receive a gorgeous wooden Presentation Plaque with silver spurs and medallion.

Our top three shooters in each category receive belt buckles that commemorate the category/ position and year

State category champions receive a State Champion certificate behind glass.

Side match awards are certificates on wood plaques

Clean match awards are Eldorado Cowboys specific metal hat pins 

We have costume contests with a variety of awards

We put on a formal banquet with great food

All shooters are entered into our FREE giveaway for brass, lead and Sportsman Warehouse gift certificates

And just as important to me - I try very hard to speak to every shooter and say "Thank you"

Here is a picture of the awards at the Tennessee State Championship Match last year. The statues were 1st in Category, wooden plaques were 2nd through 5th and the plaques with the eagle are Category State Champions. Overall Cowboy and Cowgirl were larger Statues not shown in this picture.

Thanks

Randy

IMG_2402.thumb.JPG.680548d01b83400edf6cf38c86af0992.JPG

I understand that awards are a major expense for state and regional matches. I also understand the SASS rule that there have to be 3 to make a class, but because I shoot frontier cartridge both last year and this year at the state match I could not shoot ladies frontier cartridge class because I was the only woman wanting to shoot that class.  Last year I chose to shoot smokeless, and this year I chose to shoot in the men's frontier cartridge class.  What I would like match directors to keep in mind is that if I am the only one that chooses to shoot ladies frontier cartridge, technically  wouldn't I be the state champion?  If I want to spend the money, I can order a buckle from SASS as long as I am recognized in some way on a score sheet as the top shooter in my class.  I don't need a buckle or trophy, just the recognition on a score sheet and maybe my name called out during the awards ceremony.  I don't even need a paper certificate which isn't that expensive to print out in advance. I do wish more women would shoot frontier cartridge as I think it is so much more fun and challenging than smokeless.

Plaques for categories:

14445991_1197029180368585_12404660611564

14522811_1228724313865738_44207772982013

Nice pins for clean shooters:

19665186_1573354209402745_34154013039512

Plaques for overall Men's and ladies champions:

14590271_1206073312797505_41363123406447

14570366_1206112919460211_41508195150761

--Dawg

11 hours ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

I understand that awards are a major expense for state and regional matches. I also understand the SASS rule that there have to be 3 to make a class, but because I shoot frontier cartridge both last year and this year at the state match I could not shoot ladies frontier cartridge class because I was the only woman wanting to shoot that class.  Last year I chose to shoot smokeless, and this year I chose to shoot in the men's frontier cartridge class.  What I would like match directors to keep in mind is that if I am the only one that chooses to shoot ladies frontier cartridge, technically  wouldn't I be the state champion?  If I want to spend the money, I can order a buckle from SASS as long as I am recognized in some way on a score sheet as the top shooter in my class.  I don't need a buckle or trophy, just the recognition on a score sheet and maybe my name called out during the awards ceremony.  I don't even need a paper certificate which isn't that expensive to print out in advance. I do wish more women would shoot frontier cartridge as I think it is so much more fun and challenging than smokeless.

At The Tennessee State Championship we honor every category listed on our application even if we only have one in a category.

http://wartraceregulators.com/2018State/application.pdf

Randy

8 minutes ago, Goliath, SASS #41359 said:

If that is pure Cane Syrup - I'll want to come shoot with y'all!

We try to have a choice of his Cane Syrup and his Moon Shine syrup.

Come on over!  Hell Fire '18 is September 21-23.

43 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

We try to have a choice of his Cane Syrup and his Moon Shine syrup.

Come on over!  Hell Fire '18 is September 21-23.

We don't have any Moon Shine syrup but we have this.

IMG_2392.thumb.JPG.9ea40f009362c0f5dcd131667d5dfd6e.JPGIMG_2391.thumb.JPG.3d0180a53a1d2cf5eaf8a8831c30fada.JPG

Archived