SASS Wire Forum

Stage design - likes and dislikes

Roscoe Regulator

Lake County Pistoleros “Spaghetti Western” annual match in the Fall has 6 stages written and set up by 6 local clubs. Shooters vote for their favorite stage, winning club gets the “Golden Boot”, to hold until the next annual match.

The winning stage in 2017 had a simulated hurricane for the rifle and revolver targets and simulated rattlesnakes on tree stumps for the SG knockdowns.

Close and Big almost never gets a vote. Same for different sweeps for rifle and revolvers.

Amarillo Rattler

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like varity. I love movement.  

If there is more than one stand and deliver I won't be back.   Punishing the more agile is just as wrong as punishing the mobility challenged. 

If all the targets are in a straight line. Or brain dead sweeps   I probably won't be back. There are too many good clubs out there to visit.   Catering to any one type of shooter , either squaw grip or one handed is easily avoided. 

If the rifle targets are closer than the sass recommended pistol distance I won't be back. My family shoots with me and I will not risk my kids safety.

There way too many great stage writers out there.  A bunch have posted on here. With stages on line,  or easily available there really is no excuse for pi$$ poor stage writing.  

This is all regional. Lately I have shared stages that are common here that no one bats an eye at,young or old , or thinks is even remotely challenging.  Yet certain areas think they are p traps or the Stage writer should be lynched.   Having simple minded stages is not something that i would brag about.   I mean seriously who wants to win the prize for being the dumbest on the block. 

14 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

When I read the title of this topic, I figured it was about the physical stage - not the stage scenerio.   :huh:

Perplexing observation. I think the key word is "design", i.e. things a match director can control.

I love all stages to be exactly the same with just a little variation on sweeps.

Speaking of sweeps...I love sweeps with names no one has ever heard before and aren’t described except by name when the scenario is read. Makes it challenging.

I love the challenge of real close targets. If I have to dodge lead splatter, all the better. I do dislike it when 26” barreled shotguns knock the pistol targets over and we have to close the range to reset targets...that’s annoying. 

I love standing still when I shoot. No movement is awesome fun.

I love not having to do anything but dump ammo as quickly as possible. I love waiting for an hour a stage just to dump everything in under 30 seconds, then repeat.

I love being rushed through the stages so the fast shooters can hear their names called for winning or making the top 3.

Yessirree Bob, I do love it so...I also love sarcasm as a form of communication...:P

I don't like stages that aren't clear and easy to explain, or that carry situations that aren't understood by all,,,well,,, at least by all but that "one" shooter....

I like matches with a variety of target distances,,,  ie  Winter Range,,

I like split pistol stages,,,, but not with dump pistol targets

I love,,,,  rifle, sg, pistol, sg pistol sg stages  with movement

I like,,, stage and restage your long guns anywhere safely

also like some that allow any gun order, including rifle last

CAS has always been a fantasy cowboy gunfight for me.  The things I dislike are things you wouldn't think about in a gunfight: I detest memory test sweeps, especially when they are different for different guns on the same stage.  I dislike the foot placement tests, especially when the stage props could have been setup to force a shooter to do the same thing.   I really dislike split shotgun.(I wouldn't take an empty gun with me in a gunfight when I have ammo on my person and other loaded guns at my disposal)  I dislike drawing a card to specify what target to start on(or the roll of a die).

I like stage writing that states a goal (round count) and gives the shooter some latitude to run his guns.(like a gunfight)  I like props and lines and activities done to start the clock.(it sets the tone that this is an old west gunfight)  I like more shotgun that 4 on a stage.  I like movement, especially downrange.  I like targets that move.

I'm not a fan of dumps.

I have already said this in this thread but apparently it needs said AGAIN.

Be respectful of others! If you don't have something constructive to say about the topic at hand, how about we don't say anything. 

You can respectfully disagree and say your peace but we will NOT turn things personal. We will BE RESPECTFUL. 

We will not ATTACK others. 

Understand???

Remember: (from the Guidelines)

Inappropriate or offensive content and disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.

To assist in defining inappropriate content, ask yourself the following questions when making a post: 

Is this message SASS-related? (with the exception of the Saloon forum) 

Is this message something most members would like to read? 

Does this message add value to the forum? 

Is this something I would say to a person face-to-face?

**I hid the posts that resulted in this message**

16 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I love all stages to be exactly the same with just a little variation on sweeps.

Speaking of sweeps...I love sweeps with names no one has ever heard before and aren’t described except by name when the scenario is read. Makes it challenging.

I love the challenge of real close targets. If I have to dodge lead splatter, all the better. I do dislike it when 26” barreled shotguns knock the pistol targets over and we have to close the range to reset targets...that’s annoying. 

I love standing still when I shoot. No movement is awesome fun.

I love not having to do anything but dump ammo as quickly as possible. I love waiting for an hour a stage just to dump everything in under 30 seconds, then repeat.

I love being rushed through the stages so the fast shooters can hear their names called for winning or making the top 3.

Yessirree Bob, I do love it so...I also love sarcasm as a form of communication...:P

I agree 100% !!!!!

20 minutes ago, chestnut louie said:

What is a "Texas Star"?

What is a "P Trap"?

Thanks

Chestnut

Texas Star

You ask 100 different people what a P-Trap is and you'll get 100 different answers.  The most easily understood answer is a shooting sequence that's convoluted to the point of being almost impossible to shoot correctly. Thus earning the shooter a P when they shoot it incorrectly.

36 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Texas Star

You ask 100 different people what a P-Trap is and you'll get 100 different answers.  The most easily understood answer is a shooting sequence that's convoluted to the point of being almost impossible to shoot correctly. Thus earning the shooter a P when they shoot it incorrectly.

YEAH BUT........

You got a P one time on a California sweep.

:)

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Now, you take it easy on old SB......:huh:

He's still try'n to learn how to run and talk, at the same time. :lol:

OLG

Well!

We know he can't walk and hold a timer at the same time.

I guess he should keep his eye on those big feet!

:)

About P traps, sometimes that can be as simple as a stage the person calling it one has never shot before.

Case in point, at the 2018 CA State SASS match, one shooter told me he didn't like a certain stage because he got a P. I'd shot it before at another range so it created no problem for me. In fact, I liked seeing it again.

There were five square 18" targets in a straight row parallel to the shooting line.

Engage either from right or left. Same instructions for the rifle and pistol, which means that you could start either string from either end. They didn't need to be identical.

Engage 123, 234, 345 and put the 10th round on target 3 (the center target. Or, 543, 432, 321, 3.

1 hour ago, chestnut louie said:

What is a "Texas Star"?

What is a "P Trap"?

Thanks

Chestnut

See Texas Star posted above. A P trap is any stage I shoot that I get a P on, it’s the stages fault not mine.

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

About P traps, sometimes that can be as simple as a stage the person calling it one has never shot before.

Case in point, at the 2018 CA State SASS match, one shooter told me he didn't like a certain stage because he got a P. I'd shot it before at another range so it created no problem for me. In fact, I liked seeing it again.

There were five square 18" targets in a straight row parallel to the shooting line.

Engage either from right or left. Same instructions for the rifle and pistol, which means that you could start either string from either end. They didn't need to be identical.

Engage 123, 234, 345 and put the 10th round on target 3 (the center target. Or, 543, 432, 321, 3.

Be a bit of a PITA, to follow a fast GF on that. ^_^

OLG

Archived