SASS Wire Forum

Henry Single Shot Legal For Long Range?

Pat Riot

I had a Pard PM me a question regarding using the Henry for Long Range Rifle competitions in SASS.

I did get clarification from Palewolf that the Henry Single Shot 45-70 is legal for Plainsman. It's in this thread:

https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/270499-henry-single-shot-45-70-legal-for-plainsman/&tab=comments#comment-3527904

I am sure it's just fine for long range but wanted to make sure by posting here...Palewolf's mailbox is full.

If it's legal for Plainsman. it is legal for LR sidematch use...the "SASS legal single shot rifle" rule is in the LR sidematch section:

Must use a SASS legal single shot rifle firing a traditional blackpowder rifle or revolver caliber cartridge (e.g., not a .30-.30).  The rifle may have spring actuated ejectors if they are standard for that rifle.  .38 Special is legal.

SHB p.29 "Plainsman" regs

Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot firearms must be originals or replicas of single shot rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899.  All rifles MUST have exposed hammers. 

SHB p.29 "Long Range" regs

4 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

If it's legal for Plainsman. it is legal for LR sidematch use...the "SASS legal single shot rifle" rule is in the LR sidematch section:

SHB p.29 "Plainsman" regs

SHB p.29 "Long Range" regs

Thank you Palewolf. I was sure it was legal, but just wanted to make sure.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

When do we get an update on yours? :P

OLG

No update needed...Shoots great! :D

Now, I do need to load up some ammo and dial in the sights but the gun is great.

I am toying with installing a ladder sight in place of the rear sight on the barrel. There is no way to mount a tang sight with the top lever in the way.

35 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No update needed...Shoots great! :D

Now, I do need to load up some ammo and dial in the sights but the gun is great.

I am toying with installing a ladder sight in place of the rear sight on the barrel. There is no way to mount a tang sight with the top lever in the way.

Note-that if you go to a ladder sight. You'll most likely need to change the front sight to 'zero' in the ladder sight 'V' notch.

I would do this, after you find the load you will use.

Does Henry sell different height front sights??

OLG

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Note-that if you go to a ladder sight. You'll most likely need to change the front sight to 'zero' in the ladder sight 'V' notch.

I would do this, after you find the load you will use.

Does Henry sell different height front sights??

OLG

I don't know. I will ask.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I had a Pard PM me a question regarding using the Henry for Long Range Rifle competitions in SASS.

OK, who is it that didn't know the answer to the legality of the rifle? :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, John Boy said:

OK, who is it that didn't know the answer to the legality of the rifle? :ph34r:

I will not tell. :)

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

'Cause ya can't remember that far back........:P

OLG

Who the heck are you, anyway? :lol:

47 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Looks to be a feller that is quite constipated. :D

So much so that he forgot his name...pobrecito :lol:

Archived