SASS Wire Forum

Ruger New Vaquero Hammer Strut and Mainspring Seat?

July Smith

I have a pair of New Vaqueros, the first one I bought whenever Ruger first started making them (2005-06) the other one I bought in 2014.  The early one (on bottom) has the lock, the newer one (on top) does not.

My goal is to remove the lock from the older one.  

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the newer style (longer) hammer strut, and a mainspring seat that will replace the lock?  

Brownells sells the mainspring seat, but it is too short to fill the gap left by the lock (notice how the frame has been ground out more to accept the lock assembly).

6C417442-25A1-4216-AD7D-CFC6DAFD7F8B.jpeg

16 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Why fix what isn't broke?

The hammer draw feels different on both guns.  That is the main reason I would like to fix what isn't broke.  I want them to feel the same. 

I was looking into getting a spring kit for both in an effort to make them feel the same when I learned that the hammer springs between no lock and internal lock vaqueros are not interchangeable.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004166818/wolff-shooters-spring-pack-ruger-bisley-blackhawk-single-six-super-blackhawk-vaquero  If you read Wolff's specs on their spring kits, apparently the springs for the internal lock models are not the same.  In an effort to get both guns feeling the same it would make sense to me to install the same spring kits.  In order to install the same springs, both guns would need to be the same.  Removing the lock from one looks easier than adding a lock to the other.

In the end, I will probably leave the internal lock alone.  The 2005-6 model has been shot thousands of times and has a nice smooth hammer draw.  The 2014 model has not been shot and has a heavy and stiff hammer.  I think I will just get one of the spring kits that has multiple weights to try and match the newer gun to the older one.

July,

You might try putting a WTB on the SASS classifieds to see if someone has and extra grip frame of either version that they would sell.  Midway sells new grip frames that size for $100 plus -fitting is required.

I put Ruger Hunter Super Blackhawk frames on my NM Vaqueros.  The frame is a little longer and you can get all your fingers on the grip.  I love them!  It did involve some file work to get them to fit perfectly because they make them a little large.  They also are about $100 plus each.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM, July Smith said:

I have a pair of New Vaqueros, the first one I bought whenever Ruger first started making them (2005-06) the other one I bought in 2014.  The early one (on bottom) has the lock, the newer one (on top) does not.

My goal is to remove the lock from the older one.  

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the newer style (longer) hammer strut, and a mainspring seat that will replace the lock?  

Brownells sells the mainspring seat, but it is too short to fill the gap left by the lock (notice how the frame has been ground out more to accept the lock assembly).

6C417442-25A1-4216-AD7D-CFC6DAFD7F8B.jpeg

Is the internal geometry the same between those two guns?  I ask because I don't know if the strut is the only difference.  If it's not the only difference I would think the only way to get 100% similarity between the triggers would be to trade the older version in for a newer one.  That may be a totally false assumption, but it's something I'd look at before sinking any more $$$ into the older pistol. 

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

Is the internal geometry the same between those two guns?  I ask because I don't know if the strut is the only difference.  If it's not the only difference I would think the only way to get 100% similarity between the triggers would be to trade the older version in for a newer one.  That may be a totally false assumption, but it's something I'd look at before sinking any more $$$ into the older pistol. 

Dimensionally everything is identical between the two guns.  The only difference is lock assembly and the hammer strut is a little shorter.  They are both New Model Vaqueros and all the other parts are the same.

9 hours ago, July Smith said:

The hammer draw feels different on both guns.  That is the main reason I would like to fix what isn't broke.  I want them to feel the same. 

I was looking into getting a spring kit for both in an effort to make them feel the same when I learned that the hammer springs between no lock and internal lock vaqueros are not interchangeable.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004166818/wolff-shooters-spring-pack-ruger-bisley-blackhawk-single-six-super-blackhawk-vaquero  If you read Wolff's specs on their spring kits, apparently the springs for the internal lock models are not the same.  In an effort to get both guns feeling the same it would make sense to me to install the same spring kits.  In order to install the same springs, both guns would need to be the same.  Removing the lock from one looks easier than adding a lock to the other.

In the end, I will probably leave the internal lock alone.  The 2005-6 model has been shot thousands of times and has a nice smooth hammer draw.  The 2014 model has not been shot and has a heavy and stiff hammer.  I think I will just get one of the spring kits that has multiple weights to try and match the newer gun to the older one.

That I can understand and I agree about wanting the guns to feel the same.

On 4/23/2018 at 9:44 AM, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I put Ruger Hunter Super Blackhawk frames on my NM Vaqueros.  The frame is a little longer and you can get all your fingers on the grip.  I love them!  It did involve some file work to get them to fit perfectly because they make them a little large.  They also are about $100 plus each.

A longer grip frame sounds really nice.  I understand the grip frame will be a little oversized, but will the holes all line up pretty well?

18 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

I would strongly suggest contacting Shotgun Boogie. He makes a hammer stop that replaces the lock unit and one for the non lock gun too. Put those in and the lock will be gone and you will have upgraded the action at the same time. 

A hammer stop sounds intriguing.   Do you have contact info or a website for Shotgun Boogie?  I see he is a member here on the wire, but it doesn't look like he has signed on in a while.

7 minutes ago, July Smith said:

A hammer stop sounds intriguing.   Do you have contact info or a website for Shotgun Boogie?  I see he is a member here on the wire, but it doesn't look like he has signed on in a while.

https://sbgwllc.myshopify.com/products/ruger-hammerstop-with-lock-in-the-grip-frame

there are two part numbers, one for the lock gun and one for the other. 

Archived