SASS Wire Forum

Yeti Coolers

Lawdog Dago Dom

A friend forwarded me an email from the Texas State Rifle Association PAC that the Yeti cooler folks have withdrawn all support from the NRA. They no longer wish to be NRA vendors, and gave no reason. I tried to copy the page, but apparently not that smart.

Apparently Yeti is not that smart either. They are not the only cooler on he store shelf.

Agree Yeti coolers are great but the price- OUCH    I bought an Rtic cooler for 1/3 the price of a Yeti on a special.  Now am anxiously awaiting delivery of the new Rtic gun case,  pictures make it look like an SKB.     GW 

Don't quite understand... what does "withdrawn all support" mean?  How did they "support" the NRA?  Did they donate products?  Sell them?  :huh:

Don't have one, don't need one. Seems to me they are shooting themselves in the foot. Going to try to limit their business to tailgaters, fishermen and picnickers? Of course, none of those people are firearms owners...

"YETI has declined to do business with The NRA Foundation saying they no longer wish to be an NRA vendor, and refused to say why. They will only say they will no longer sell products to The NRA Foundation...?"

Well, phooey on them, then... reckon I won't be buying one o' their four hunnert dollar lunch boxes after all!  :lol:

Never needed or wanted one. 

These things are great...according to the folks that SELL them.

If I ever needed a rugged cooler I would buy a Cabela’s model. Cheaper. 

I have an Igloo Marine 110 qt cooler I bought in 1996. It works just fine today. And it’s not rugged. If Mr Bear gets into it he won’t have to destroy it to open it. He gets food, I keep cooler. :D

15 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have an Igloo Marine 110 qt cooler I bought in 1996. It works just fine today. And it’s not rugged. If Mr Bear gets into it he won’t have to destroy it to open it. He gets food, I keep cooler. :D

Heck yeah. Every cooler I have is left over from when the kids played sports. Kids are long gone and the coolers still work fine. And they came from assorted discount stores.

Never understood why a company flying under the radar would choose to interject itself into a situation like this. Same kind of "politically correct nobleness" like those gems at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I use the same Ozark Trail can coolers. Last summer we were sitting outside.  Reached over to pickup my beverage and dropped it back onto the table.  The outside of the cooler was too hot to comfortably hold but the insides were still cold.    And saved enough money to but a case of beverages for each cooler purchased!      GW

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

As for their SS tumblers; the Ozark Trail from wally world works every bit as well for 1/4th the price.

Didn't wally world jump on the "no gun sales to anyone under 21" bandwagon? I don't like Wally World anyway; any place they move into  5 or 10 mom and pop business's go broke.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

Didn't wally world jump on the "no gun sales to anyone under 21" bandwagon? I don't like Wally World anyway; any place they move into  5 or 10 mom and pop business's go broke.

Bought mine long before all the anti-gun bandwagon. Rtic, Ozark Trail, and Yeti are all made in the same factory. Only difference between them is the logo embossed into the metal and lid.

13 hours ago, DocWard said:

Don't have one, don't need one. Seems to me they are shooting themselves in the foot. Going to try to limit their business to tailgaters, fishermen and picnickers? Of course, none of those people are firearms owners...

Waving hand! I am a fisherman, and I might own a gun or three.

I have a Yeti cooler. I didn't buy it, sure as hell, as the prices on these things are indeed ridiculous. No way would I want to leave a $400 cooler around the campsite as I'm pretty sure it won't be there when I get back and the pilferers ain't no way going to leave what's in it arranged neatly for me when I return.

When I hit 25 years with my company they gave me one. It was either something useful or something not useful so I chose the Yeti cooler.

I'm going to spend part of today covering my Yeti cooler in NRA, GoA, SAF, SASS and any other pro gun sticker I can find.

This project might take more than just today...;)

3 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I have a Yeti cooler. I didn't buy it, sure as hell, as the prices on these things are indeed ridiculous. No way would I want to leave a $400 cooler around the campsite as I'm pretty sure it won't be there when I get back and the pilferers ain't no way going to leave what's in it arranged neatly for me when I return.

When I hit 25 years with my company they gave me one. It was either something useful or something not useful so I chose the Yeti cooler.

I'm going to spend part of today covering my Yeti cooler in NRA, GoA, SAF, SASS and any other pro gun sticker I can find.

This project might take more than just today...;)

Be sure to take some pics and send them to Yeti.....

LL

13 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Yeti has a direct email link on their website:

https://www.yeti.com/contact-us.html

Speak your mind; talking to each other on the Wire has no impact.  Speak truth to power.

LL

Just sent this to YETI on their website. Thanks for the tip Loophole.

As a retired Law Enforcement Officer, I was disappointed to hear that your company was cutting ties with the National Rifle Association. The NRA has been at the helm of firearms training not only for citizens, but also police and the military. Nearly every marksmanship program in America over the last 100 years can point to the NRA for it's development. The training of certified weapons instructors (police and military, too) are derived from curriculum developed by the NRA. All safe firearms handling and storage programs come from the NRA. The NRA supports LEGAL firearm use and possession. I cannot fathom a company of your size not being able to see this. But you are entitled to your opinion on your policy, as I am entitled to patronize businesses that promote the gun safety programs of the NRA. I will advise fellow law enforcement to no longer subsidize companies like yours, that have no interest in safe, legal firearms ownership and usage.

Keep it clean and thoughtful.

If we do not stand up, every advertiser will sense weakness; it is easy to pull your support if there are no adverse consequences.

Let them know that you and millions of other sportsmen will recoil from their ridiculous prejudice, and will not only refuse to buy their products, but will persuade others to do likewise.

LL

I wonder if they'd find it offensive if I sent them a picture of my Yeti cooler full of ammo?

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Yeti has a direct email link on their website:

https://www.yeti.com/contact-us.html

Speak your mind; talking to each other on the Wire has no impact.  Speak truth to power.

LL

Done

As a retired LEO I liked your comment so I used it but added a few edits of my own.. e.g.

As a retired Law Enforcement Officer and avid hunter, I was disappointed to hear that your company was cutting ties with the National Rifle Association. The NRA has been at the helm of firearms training not only for citizens and youth, but also police and the military. Nearly every marksmanship program in America over the last 100 years can point to the NRA for it's development. The training of certified weapons instructors (police and military, too) are derived from curriculum developed by the NRA. All safe firearms handling and storage & Eddie Eagle programs come from the NRA.  The NRA supports LEGAL firearm use and possession. I cannot fathom a company of your size not being able to see this. But you are entitled to your opinion on your policy, as I am entitled to patronize businesses that promote the gun safety programs of the NRA. I will advise fellow law enforcement to no longer subsidize companies like yours, that have no interest in safe, legal firearms ownership and usage.

I received a response back from Yeti, see below:

Thank You for Contacting YETI

We're writing in response to your recent email inquiry.

A few weeks ago, YETI notified the NRA Foundation, as well as a number of other organizations, that we were eliminating a group of outdated discounting programs. When we notified the NRA Foundation and the other organizations of this change, YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program broadly available to consumers and organizations, including the NRA Foundation. These facts directly contradict the inaccurate statement the NRA-ILA distributed on April 20.

Further, the NRA-ILA stated in that same public communication that "[YETI has] declined to continue helping America's young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities." Nothing is further from the truth. YETI was founded more than 10 years ago with a passion for the outdoors, and over the course of our history we have actively and enthusiastically supported hunters, anglers and the broader outdoor community. We have been devoted to and will continue to directly support causes tied to our passion for the outdoors, including by working with many organizations that promote conservation and management of wildlife resources and habitat restoration. From our website to our film footage and from our social media posts to our ambassadors, YETI has always prominently featured hunters pursuing their passions. Moreover, YETI is unwavering in our belief in and commitment to the Constitution of the United States and its Second Amendment.

Thanks for reaching out to YETI.

2 minutes ago, Yoos-Ta-Be Kid said:

Lots of acceptable others out there, I prefer the ones made in Flagstaff, AZ.....Canyon Coolers.  I prefer to keep my $$ local if possible.

DITTO, but just thought I would post their reply as an FYI.  Still waiting to hear back from the NRA about what they sent me back.

So, what are they saying, exactly?

That they were just changing their discount program for organizations like NRA, that buy and resell their goods?

That none of this has anything to do with striking back at the NRA for political reasons?

I'd be interested in the NRA's response, too, Charlie.

LL

16 minutes ago, Charlie T Waite said:

I received a response back from Yeti, see below:

Thank You for Contacting YETI

We're writing in response to your recent email inquiry.

A few weeks ago, YETI notified the NRA Foundation, as well as a number of other organizations, that we were eliminating a group of outdated discounting programs. When we notified the NRA Foundation and the other organizations of this change, YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program broadly available to consumers and organizations, including the NRA Foundation. These facts directly contradict the inaccurate statement the NRA-ILA distributed on April 20.

Further, the NRA-ILA stated in that same public communication that "[YETI has] declined to continue helping America's young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities." Nothing is further from the truth. YETI was founded more than 10 years ago with a passion for the outdoors, and over the course of our history we have actively and enthusiastically supported hunters, anglers and the broader outdoor community. We have been devoted to and will continue to directly support causes tied to our passion for the outdoors, including by working with many organizations that promote conservation and management of wildlife resources and habitat restoration. From our website to our film footage and from our social media posts to our ambassadors, YETI has always prominently featured hunters pursuing their passions. Moreover, YETI is unwavering in our belief in and commitment to the Constitution of the United States and its Second Amendment.

Thanks for reaching out to YETI.

Thanks Charlie. I got the same reply.

I don't understand this decision by YETI, are they losing money from the NRA discounts? Gimme a break! I got the same email from them in response to mine. I told them it was bad timing on their part considering all the companies that are cutting ties with the NRA. I told them good luck recovering from this bad business move! They just pissed off millions of people!

They are sending out a canned boilerplate response.  I ask them what other companies they were referring to and got another email stating the same thing.  If they really cared about what we thought they would actually read the email and provide an appropriate response.

With the direction this thread has taken it might be better to move it to Team SASS

UPDATE [4/23/18, 7:30 p.m. ET]:

In response to Yeti's statement, the NRA's Marion Hammer provided the following statement to IJR:

"After three days Yeti issues a statement claiming they didn’t really drop the NRA Foundation. They claim they simply eliminated the entire program affecting NRA Foundation and other unnamed organizations.

Isn’t that like eliminating like a job position so you can get rid of an employee?"

Archived