SASS Wire Forum

Flashlight

I have carried one of these for 4 years and it's a tough little light. The size of a Chap Stick tube. It has 100 lumen and a 10 lumen setting. 

http://www.niteize.com/product/INOVA-XS-LED-Flashlight.asp#tabs

This may not be powerful enough if you want 200 lumens or higher.

I carry a single cell Streamlight Microstream in my pocket every day. It's only 35 lumens but it's good enough for what I do, which is usually hunting for parts in a darkened warehouse or trying to find that blasted screw that rolled under the workbench. The thing is nearly indestructable. I dropped it in the driveway one Fall a couple years ago and found it six week later (after I had bought another one, of course) still in working condition. I've carried it so long the black finish has worn off. Now it's sort of a pewter color. I have two more still i the package to give as gifts. Just about any guy will appreciate another light.

I prefer lights that take batteries I can find anywhere. I know CR123As are fairly common, but I know for sure my local all-night convenience store doesn't have them. But they have AAAs.

I have more expensive lights, but my standard pocket carry is a Fenix E12.  

It is what it is... a pocket flashlight. Only 130 lumens, but small, inexpensive (about $27), and uses a single AA battery.  I absolutely hate having to pop sixteen bucks for a battery for one of the "higher-priced" spreads.

My son-in-law gave me a ZEBRA LIGHT SC64 CE.  It is a flood type light but I like spot lights better so carry a SOLARFORCE L2 with a three level bulb advertised as 1000 lumens.  I think it is closer to 600-700.  The Zebra is just as bright.  I have carried the SolarForce for 4 years.  Before that it was one of the SureFires for about 15 years.

Lumens don't always reflect reality. I bought one once (I THINK it was a Coleman) that was supposed to be more powerful than ones I had. In the real world it wasn't as bright as my Stanley that was supposedly far less lumens. I took it back to Wally World and got my money back.

JHC

1 minute ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Lumens don't always reflect reality. I bought one once (I THINK it was a Coleman) that was supposed to be more powerful than ones I had. In the real world it wasn't as bright as my Stanley that was supposedly far less lumens. I took it back to Wally World and got my money back.

The number of lumens is only parts of the story. How well those lumens are focused and directed makes a big difference.

It's just like shooting. A hit with a .22 is worth more than a miss with a .45.

I've had Surefire and Streamlight.  I used Pentagon back in the day.  These are a  fraction of the cost and just as reliable.  I've carried one for years every day with no complaints.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd32-led-flashlight-2016-edt/

9 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I have more expensive lights, but my standard pocket carry is a Fenix E12.  

It is what it is... a pocket flashlight. Only 130 lumens, but small, inexpensive (about $27), and uses a single AA battery.  I absolutely hate having to pop sixteen bucks for a battery for one of the "higher-priced" spreads.

Looks like my little light. Mine takes 1 AAA battery. Works for quite a while.

As Sparky said, lumens are subjective and you can pick up 3 lights with the same lumen spec and have 3 different perceptions of illumination.

I have found the main difference between expensive and inexpensive flashlights to be the electrical controls. The reason I like my little pocket light is the switch is the turning of the rear section of the light to make battery contact. Simple. It does have a push button on the rail but it’s hard to hold the little light and activate it so I don’t use it.

I used to carry different Sure Fire and Streamlight lights but managed to lose them. I figure a $20 light is good enough. The expensive lights are at home and in my vehicles.

Howdy,,

Right now I carry the AAA streamlight microstream in shirt pocket.

Jacket pocket a 2 x 123 battery very powerful light bought at a gunshow cheap.

A 2 x AAA streamlight is handy too.

Some of the others listed look great too.

The little bitty ones seem to come apart in my pocket.

Too bad the little bitty ones don't hold up.

Best

CR

Archived