SASS Wire Forum

Need a Recommendation on hedge trimmer

I need a real heavy duty hedge trimmer.  About 100' of overgrown, woody hedge belonging to a neighbor.  Too lazy/busy to cut it himself, but no objection if I want to do it.  (yeah, I'm a sucker for the Tom Sawyer routine)

Mrs. LL is pushing me to do the job - the hedge blocks our water view (Yup - it's about 8' high)

I know the standard duty electric trimmer will not touch it; just not enough power.  And the electrics don't have enough oomph or battery life, as best as I can tell.

So I'm looking at gasoline powered.

Impressed with the Stihl HL 56 K - 27 cc, 26" shaft, 24" blade - a bit over 12 lbs.

Anyone with experience?  I'm severely prejudiced against Chinese tools.

LL

15 hours ago, Catlow4697 said:

Use chainsaw just above ground level you only have to trim once

Catlow4697,

That was going to be my suggestion also. :o

Eight years ago I bought a (earlier model #) ECHO PAS-266 with a Articulating Hedge Trimmer Attachment.  It is $$$$, heavy and powerful.  There is a small two acre pasture behind my house that a previous owner had put up high tensile fencing.  The owner just before me did not keep that fence line clear so when I decided to install new fencing to keep goats in, I knew that I would need a "real" tool.  The vines, brush and wild rose tangle was 5~6' tall and 4' thick on both sides.  My ECHO PAS-265 made an awful job possible.  The other attachments are great also.  Now the goats do all the work.

Chestnut 

You didn't want the electric ones and good that you didn't.  My wife:wub: bought one of those B&D battery powered thingys years ago.  Had a 4" blade and a 12" blade unit for trimming.  Terrible devices.  Couldn't cut string.  So then she buys a corded unit.  Tried to do it herself because when she gets a notion, she wants it done NOW!  Cut 2 of my good, long extension cords into 4 short extension cords before she gave it up.  I went to the power center (more power, arg, arg, arg) and bought a Stihl trimmer.  Don't remember the model.  Cuts like a dream but she doesn't use it which is probably a good thing.  She would hurt herself or worse, someone else. Do like they said, use premium gas, gas treatment for putting it away and I spray some lithium grease on the cutter bar before I store mine.  Biggest problem I have is that she has "land mines" in her flower beds.  All these wire do dads that get camouflaged by the vegetation.  I get a big CLANK when the cutter hits one of those, then I curse badly and give her dirty looks.  She apologizes and says she thought she got them all out. I put up with it. I cut her tree peony once.  Boy howdy, did I hear about that.  Won't do that again.

Then there is the chain saw.  Those work wonders.  Know a family that cut their hedge down to within 6 inches of the ground with one.  Within a year the hedge was back to 3 feet tall again.  I like chainsaws.  Got 4 Stihls in various sizes.

More POWER! Arg, arg, arg.

Archived