SASS Wire Forum

Federal Small Rifle Primer Problem with 66

A.J. McDraw, SASS #52088

Small Federal rifle primers will not work consistently in both my and a pard's 66 carbines but the ammo works fine in our Rugers Vaqueros, they go bang every time.

Is anyone having trouble with federal small rifle primers not firing when struck?

also

We both have 66 Uberti  carbines in 38 special and were wondering what the over all length of the loaded rounds should be ? We are using a 105 grain truncated bullet. 

We we both have been shooting these rifles for many years and they have been slicked up by the awesome gunsmith :) Jimmy Spurs himself. 

It is a mystery for us both, the problem has never occurred like this before...we are using the same reloaded ammo.

A. J., you might want to post this over on the Wire...

You'll probably get at least twenty replies with suggestions.  :)

Meanwhile, have a snort on Pat's tab.  ^_^

I had a similar problem with my 66 almost the exact same circumstances (I also use Fed primers).

Some wise men here told me to tighten the main spring screw a half turn and voila problem gone.

The screw in question is under the lever.

Its part number 36 in this diagram.

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=38&cat=uberti+1866+rifle

Hammer springs on both guns are as tight as they will go. primers are seated and were rechecked using a hand  primer. I think this is going to be the small rifle primer hardness.

Archived