SASS Wire Forum

1978 k frame

evil dogooder

I'm going to an auction tomorrow with a ton of S&W revolvers.  I spent most of the day looking up rough values for them.  All I can say is that S&W made a ridiculous number of models.  I'd see a model # and think it must be a typo, they really meant this other one that I've heard of before .... nope.  I think I looked up 50 different models.  No gun company should have 50 different models of revolver. 

I like it.

I used to have a Ruger Security Six. That's a blue 357 revolver with adjustable sights. Except when it's a 38. Or when it's a stainless 357. Or a stainless 38.

I own a Ruger SP101. That's a stainless 22 LR 6-shot revolver. Unless it's a 32 H&R, or a 357, or an 8-shot 22 LR.

But if I have a Model 10 Smith, it's a blue 38. If the exact same gun is made in 357, it's no longer a 10, it's a 13. If it's in stainless it is a 64. If it's a357 in stainless it is a 65. There's no confusion.

If I speak of my Blackhawk, do I mean my 357, my 41 or my 45? And if my 45, do I mean the blue one or the stainless one?

But if I speak of my 19, it's a blue 357. No question, no confusion.

Archived