SASS Wire Forum

1978 k frame

evil dogooder

What's your opinion on them.  I just picked up one at an auction and I don't know much about s&w

As for price it was way under 500

15243402377541003496617.jpg

The scope will be gone soon I'm thinking. It was the gentleman's hunting revolver.  Carried a lot but only shot 63 rounds according to him. 

My first thought is WHICH K-frame?

K22 or K38 Masterpiece - you done good. And I feel for the poor baby having that chunk of glass on it.

K32 - you done MOST AMAZINGLY OUTSTANDING.

Model 53 - I don't think I'da got it.  But I believe a 53 had a ramp, not a Patridge, so I don't think it's a 53.

How do you tell the difference?  Serial number? 

To be honest I don't even know what it is.  The tag just said k frame with the reciept dated 78

What caliber is it? Is there not a model stamped on there somewhere? I have to admit I'm not really familiar with S&Ws myownself. I picked up a 586 last week; love it so far.

What caliber?

K22 Masterpiece is a 22 target revolver. K38 is a 38 target revolver. K32 is a 32 SW Long target revolver.

And if it was made in 1978 it will have the model number stamped here.

untitled.JPG

I suspect this will become your favorite revolver, regardless of the caliber.

The factory triggers were some of the most crisp, lightest in single action ever made.  I have a modest group of 9 S&W revolvers: 2 J frames, 1 L frame, 6 K frames.  Obviously I prefer the K frames.

We expect pictures from the range!  :D

36 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

How do you tell the difference?  Serial number? 

To be honest I don't even know what it is.  The tag just said k frame with the reciept dated 78

Are you saying, that you don't know what the caliber is? :wacko:

OLG

It's a 38. But no I bought it without knowing the caliber.   Also picked up a model 19-3  before the wife gave me a dirty look. 

If she shoots at all, let her try them at the range too.  I bet they become her favorites also.

A 19-3 sleeps at my bedside every night.

1 hour ago, evil dogooder said:

It's a 38. But no I bought it without knowing the caliber.   Also picked up a model 19-3  before the wife gave me a dirty look. 

You really should be buy'n Lotto tickets......:lol:

A K-38 Masterpiece and a Combat Magnum in .357. Good score!

OLG

The 19-3 also sport s a 6 " barrel and a scope.  The only pistol I didn't get from him was an old stainless redhawk in 44 mag. With a Leopold scope.  I just can't stand 44 mag

36 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'd like to run across a reasonably priced 19-3 myself.

This one was for 425.. not sure if that's a good price or not but we are friends with his grand daughter and were trying to help out with what we could. 

Starting in 1957 the K-38 was designated as the Model 14, with 1978 production being the model 14-4.  The pinned barrel was eliminated in 1982.  The scope and mount combo was one popular for that era, and did not require drilling and tapping holes in the top strap.  Did have to remove the rear sight, though.  If it did not come with the original rear sight, you'll have to find one of that era, because the new ones are slightly different.

A 19-3 is a good find as well.  Be sure to check the cylinder chambers for "lead rings" indicating it had been shot with .38 Special ammo a lot.  Scrub these out well before lighting off .357 in it.  I got one once that you clouldn't even get a .357 to chamber due to this.

You did pretty good.

That's a good buy for a Model 14 "K38 Masterpiece" with target grips.  From the photos, the revolver does look a little roughed up.   Recommend not taking photos of guns in direct sunlight.

Did it come with the rear iron sights?  

The wife was taking the pics I was driving at the time.    It looks much better in person.    She has already claimed the .38 .  First thing she did when we got home was grab some rounds and hit the range.  She didn't even try the close stuff but started at 75 yrds.  After three rounds she has been consistently spinning the plates.  I think I lost another gun.

Oh well I like the 19-3.  It's a pussycat to shoot.  And it's making the 2" spinner dance. It's got a Bushnell magnum phantom on it.  I'm not a fan of glass on hand guns but this thing is on for me

12 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

:o :huh:  IMO-The .44 mag is about the most versatile handgun round ever created. ;)

OLG

I've had two vaqueros, a blackhawk, a desert eagle, and an encore in .44.  It can't do anything better than my .45s .  It's just a personal preference. 

24 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

The wife was taking the pics I was driving at the time.    It looks much better in person.    She has already claimed the .38 .  First thing she did when we got home was grab some rounds and hit the range.  She didn't even try the close stuff but started at 75 yrds.  After three rounds she has been consistently spinning the plates.  I think I lost another gun.

:lol::lol::lol:

ED, I do understand how that goes with the wife.  Last June I got a pristine S&W 15-4 "Combat Masterpiece" off of GunBroker.  We took it to the range and it shot really well.  So well that my wife declared it was now her gun.  It now resided in her nightstand on her side of the bed.  When she travels, the revolver now accompanies her.  She lets me look at it from time to time.

4 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

I've had two vaqueros, a blackhawk, a desert eagle, and an encore in .44.  It can't do anything better than my .45s .  It's just a personal preference. 

Give the .454 Casull a try.B)

My Freedom Arms is a LASER.

OLG

I've got a bisley. 454.  Or should I say had.  My father borrowed it a few years ago.... I'm still waiting for him to bring it back

You have the worst dang luck with holding on to guns, don't you?

The worstest thing about your XYL laying claim to one of your guns, is if (for some reason) y'all break up, and get dee-vorced, she'll take it with her.

I USED TO HAVE a stainless 4" Liberty Gun  Security Six. I thought it was kinda cute when she decided it was HER gun.

Archived