SASS Wire Forum

A Few Joyce Lee Malcolm Quotes

Charlie T Waite

These are from Joyce Lee Malcolm (1996). “To Keep and Bear Arms: The Origins of an Anglo-American Right”

The right of ordinary citizens to possess weapons is the most extraordinary, most controversial, and least understood of those liberties secured by Englishmen and bequeathed to their American colonists. It lies at the very heart of the relationship between the individual and his fellows, and between the individual and his government. - Joyce Lee Malcolm

The argument that today's National Guardsmen, members of a select militia, would constitute the only persons entitled to keep and bear arms has no historical foundation. - Joyce Lee Malcolm

Charlie

the notion that always amused me was that the Second Amendment would need "years of scholarly study".    It was never clear what sort of scholar would need years to read 1 sentence.

but, it matters little what I think; what does matter is how SCOTUS rules.   And, as I understand it SCOTUS has ruled the term "people" used in 2A means all the people -- not just the National Guard or the Lexington Re-Enactors.

One should of course note that the Second Amendment -- along with the Constitution and its Amendments -- is Constitutional law.   As such it applies to the government.   Understanding this makes the Amendment easier to understand: it simply prohibits to the government any authority to disarm the people.   And that's all there is to it.

Archived