SASS Wire Forum

Stoopid question about a Henry 357

Like the subject line says, I've got a stupid question that I should know the answer to.

I was in a store looking at a Henry that was marked 357...not 38/357.

The guy behind the counter said it didn't matter, but then again he did not seem like the brightest lightbulb in the box.

Sooo... Does it matter, can you shoot 38's in one tagged as "357" only?

sorry hit submit twice.

No it does not matter. You can shoot 38 in any 357 chamber.

23 minutes ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

sorry hit submit twice.

Actually, you hit it 3 times. ;)

yeah, well I slapped my own hand...twice

Again...appologies

BTW, my shoe is untied...do I get a Procedural for that too?

12 minutes ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

yeah, well I slapped my own hand...twice

Again...appologies

BTW, my shoe is untied...do I get a Procedural for that too?

No. But you lose style points for havin shoes instead of boots on. :D

By the way, the Henry is not a good choice for SASS in my opinion.

Thanx! I aapreciate and actually do value your oppinion

In another thread, Pat Riot says he called Henry and asked them.  According to the call where he asked them about shooting .38's in the 357, he said, "They claim it does just fine." 

5 minutes ago, Laramie said:

I have a Henry ,357, and while it will fire either one, it is much happier with .357s than .38s. 

Yeah thanx! Actually that's pretty much what I was thinkin

57 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

By the way, the Henry is not a good choice for SASS in my opinion.

Besides the fact that my good friend Nate Kiowa Jones would probably use it on me

You will find your Henry Repeating Arms rifle will like 357 cases better because it feeds them easier. There is only a difference of .135 inches in length and brass cost is about the same.

Using 357 cases will also help/prevent the lead build up at the end of the chamber that you get from shooting shorter cases.

Another one of those light bulbs I mentioned earlier, huh? Not sure I'd even try that in my Bond arms or tc contender.

You can shoot any 38 special in any chamber for a 357 magnum - rifle or pistol, single-shot or repeater.

The problem is, SOME 357 magnum repeating rifles do not like 38 specials. They are too short, and don't feed well. Once you get them in the chamber, they work fine. But getting them from the magazine to the chamber - that can sometimes be difficult.

Some have no problem. My Rossi eats 38s like jelly beans. But I've seen many threads, both here and on the Wire, about 357s not feeding 38s (mostly Marlins seem to do that) unless the 38 was loaded longer than normal.

But you, pretty much, can't say with assurance, "Rossi will but Henry won't". It depends on the individual gun. Just gotta try it and see.

I can say from experience that the .38 will work fine, however it can have some issues when running at speed.  You have to make sure you throw that lever as hard as possible when shooting to make sure they feed correctly.  It is likely easier with .357 load, but I have not tried that.  I would have to adjust my sizing and crimp dies and I just got them in the sweet spot for the .38's for my new Winchester...

56 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

We reload our 38 cases "long" which means the OAL is same as 357.  just don't seat the bullet as deep to get to this length and no problems

I've mistakenly "longed" a few. If I go that route I'm somewhat prepared. Thanx!

Archived