SASS Wire Forum

Special brass/reloading for big shoots?

Chief Rick

Do you load for big shoots (states/regionals/nationals) any different than monthly shoots?

Or do you reload for all shoots the same?

Why?

I've never shot at Winter Range or EoT.

I reload for all of my monthly matches, annual matches & state matches the same:

I reload in batches of 200 on a 550.

I tumble then put the brass in four 50-round ammo trays and inspect each piece of brass for splits under a desk light.

I then squirt 'em with a bit of One-Shot case lube and load 'em up.

When I start noticing more splits in the brass or loose primer pockets I'll throw out the batch I'm working with and grab a few hundred more from my bag of once-fired range brass and start over.

I couldn't begin to tell ya how many re-loads any of my brass has had.

Don't do any "big" matches... they're all just practice, in preparation for the zombie apocalypse. ;)

Anymore, after 15 years of SASS, I load everything to my top quality standards and I can pull any box of cartridges I want.  I toss anything I find that even hints it will be a poor load (tiny mouth cracks, dented cases I can't iron out, lead on outside of mouth from poor belling or crooked bullet setting.

I don't take nickel plated brass to big matches.  If I find one or two at a big match (WR, EOT, BT), I don't shoot them except in revolvers.

All my .45 auto is gauged.   A few samples of my shotshells are gauged.  All cartridges are placed nose down in cartridge boxes and primer heights checked by sight and feel.  The rest - quality loading and big ol' .45 Colt chambers, takes care of.

I DON'T change my loads unless I have 6 months of small-match testing I can do. 

Keeps things simple.  Good luck, GJ

Anything above the state level I only use new brass.  No matter how carefully I inspect brass there's always a chance I'll miss a crack or maybe it's been used so much it's not cracked but is on the verge of cracking.  To me there's no sense in risking a match I've got $1K+ invested in over a $100 worth of brass.

I pull a cylinder out and use it to check that every round I’m going to shoot chambers freely after giving each round the hairy eyeball!

1 minute ago, Canton Chris said:

I pull a cylinder out and use it to check that every round I’m going to shoot chambers freely after giving each round the hairy eyeball!

Not all chambers are cut the same.

I use a dedicated Dillon case gauge that is made for this.

Respectfully,

OLG

New Brass and once fired STS SG hulls for all ammo to be shot in the Main Match stages.  I mark the ammo boxes/SG boxes so I can tell the difference between my usual ammo (used for side matches).  NEVER change my loads/bullets/powder/primers before a big match.  I already gauge every .45 ACP(for WB) and SG hull, so no change there (I never guage my .38's).

I know you didn't ask, but I also NEVER take a clean gun to a big match.  They are all shot at least in a monthly prior to the big match, but not cleaned in between.

Totes

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Not all chambers are cut the same.

I use a dedicated Dillon case gauge that is made for this.

Respectfully,

OLG

I know but I figure since they’re the chambers I’m using to shoot and they pass the plunk test, they’re good to go.  I see where there’s a cowboy gauge available now, may look into that.

4 minutes ago, Canton Chris said:

I know but I figure since they’re the chambers I’m using to shoot and they pass the plunk test, they’re good to go.  I see where there’s a cowboy gauge available now, may look into that.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-handgun-case-gauges_8_8_25548.html

You won't be sorry.

OLG

They don’t have those in 44-40, did you see the cowboy multi caliber gauge they have though? What do you think of that one?

Canton

Wow, a grand dedicated to a match. I can't even comprehend that. With casting my own bullets and doing all my own reloads and gunsmithing, I doubt I spend that in a years worth of shooting my local matches. The only yearly I do is the California Black Powder Championship, and that is based at my home club.

I've read a few folks that had trouble with NEW brass. 

It has to sometimes be deb-burred, resized (of course).

So those folks prefer to use once-fired since they already made it through one match successfully.

Since I haven't bought new brass for my 38 in years, I cannot say.

How 'bout others experience?

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I load the same for all shoots.

That said-I'm OCD on my ammo and that helps here.

Also-Don't see the need to 'fix' what ain't broke.......

OLG

+1  What he said.

I haven't shot anything "bigger" than state-level, but I exercise due diligence on ALL of my ammo and if it ain't good enough for a big match, it's not good enough for a local match. 

32 minutes ago, Canton Chris said:

They don’t have those in 44-40, did you see the cowboy multi caliber gauge they have though? What do you think of that one?

Canton

They have .44WCF here.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/measuring-tools/case-gauges-headspace-tools/case-length-headspace-gage-44-40-win-sku749003846-33287-67538.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-749-003-846&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=749-003-846

I prefer my case gauges made of steel, and a dedicated gauge for each caliber.

Set in my ways, after 50+ years of reloading.

OLG

Slim. If most of us go on any vacation, shooting match or not, when you add up hotel, gas, doing some fun things, eating out, it's gonna add up. Several days to a week stay. But, yeah, you can go to a lot of local matches for not much.

16 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Thnx Lumpy,

Canton

28 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I've read a few folks that had trouble with NEW brass. 

It has to sometimes be deb-burred, resized (of course).

So those folks prefer to use once-fired since they already made it through one match successfully.

Since I haven't bought new brass for my 38 in years, I cannot say.

How 'bout others experience?

New brass is a little harder through the sizing die, but with 38 not enough to complain about.   Once fired brass is slightly easier to load.   Since I wash my brass, it is hard to tell the difference between new and once fired.  

2 hours ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Nope, do the same no nickle brass in rifle. I might maybe for shotgun, usually I use a 7/8oz load.......I might load up a few boxes of 1 1/8 for just in case;) Good Luck:)

Wife & I shoot Herter's factory for monthly's.

I swap to Win AA LNLR for the wife for annual/state matches as they shuck easier from her shotgun.

At lost brass matches I shoot .45 colt in my rifles instead of .38-40 because of brass cost and availability ....

And I shoot brass that has been reloaded at least 5 times .... But still in great shape ...

I shoot FCD so have fun cleaning my brass .......

Jabez Cowboy

Howdy

I use the same Black Powder stained brass for all CAS matches I enter.

Here is a sample of some of my 44-40 brass. I always say, stained brass shoots just as well as shiny new brass, it is just harder to find in the grass.

stained%2044-40%20cartridges_zpstqcxjop5

When loading 45 Colt for my pistols I use one of my R&D conversion cylinders as a gauge. These cylinders have tighter chambers than any of my revolvers, including my Colts. If a completed round drops into these chambers, it will drop into the chambers of any of my 45 Colt pistols.

RD_disassembled_02.jpg

With my 44-40 rifle ammo,  I run a few rounds through my Henry at the beginning of the loading session, to make sure the dies are still set up correctly. The biggest match I ever go to is the Great Nor'Easter which is just up the road from me. It's not as if I have spent a lot of money to get there. If I have a problem with my ammo, oh well. Those of you who have shot with me know I am much more concerned with getting a clean match than how fast I shot.

This Canadian went to WR ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and had No brass problems ...

And I even got almost all my 16 ga. hulls returned to me ....

Great posse Texas Slims ....

Jabez Cowboy

Starline brass is my oldest, most reloaded brass.  This is what I use at monthly and lost brass matches.

Winhester brass is next in line..

Tombstone head stamp brass is my newest and least reloaded.  I use this for State and above or if I run out of the Starline and Winchester before the winter annual reloading session. 

I use 2x fired brass for state and above with the same bullet primer and powder as monthly matches.  I also live in the country so I shoot a few rounds in the back yard day before the match to make sure I didn't forget something in assembling gun after cleaning.  Bullett 19707

I use the same in any match as I do in practice.  I shoot for the enjoyment of it.  My life won't be ruined because I had a bad round. Just like it doesn't really matter if I get another buckle.   I shoot with my family and friends. Win lose or draw I'm smiling. 

This is a game. Have fun with it

New brass for state and above matches.  I also have knock down loads for rifle and pistol. For 38 pistol, normal 105 g bullets.  38 knock downs of 125 g and higher up to 160g.  For 38 rifle, same as pistol knock downs.  All loads thru case checker and checked for high primers twice. 

What are the issues with nickel plated ?

I started shooting nickel recently because I have so much of it. It is easier to clean. They do crack easier, but have no trouble finding them before loading. I use a single stage press and can easily feel a cracked case. I figured they would be a problem, but after about 1,000 rounds (reloading the same batch of 200) I have had no quality control issues. Don't think I would shoot them in a regional match, but at this point have not found a reason not to.

What are the issues with nickel plated ?

.... Don't think I would shoot them in a regional match, but at this point have not found a reason not to.

Here's the major reason for you:

Nickel plated brass cracks at a (much) lower number of reload cycles than brass cases!    We have lots of numbers showing this is a real fact.

In .38 special, it is especially hard to pull cracked rifle cases out of toggle action rifles with the fairly weakly sprung extractor when cases split.

Many pards have been train wrecked by cracked .38 specials that stick in chambers of rifles.  Such train wrecks often leave you with a few rounds not fired in the mag tube.   Lots of pain!  Usually a match killer for competitive shooters.

Knowledgeable pards concerned with avoiding such train wrecks at matches won't shoot ANY nickle .38 special (or .357) in toggle link rifles, and some Marlin and 92 and Lightning shooters avoid nickel cases as well. 

Those who have nickel cases, shoot them in revolvers where there is no big wreck coming from splitting a case.

Good luck, GJ

Archived