SASS Wire Forum

Tammie Jo Shults - Pilot

Subdeacon Joe

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/tammie-jo-shults-pilot-southwest-flight-1380-engine-hero/

Professional:

An older article about her from 2006 is no longer online, but was shared in a forum about fighter pilots here. The story said that when Shults tried to attend aviation career day at her high school, she wasn’t allowed to go because they didn’t accept girls. So she enrolled at MNU because she was also interested in veterinary medicine, but her passion for flying didn’t go away. “In my junior year I went to an Air Force winging with a friend whose brother was getting his wings,” she said. “And, lo, there was a girl in his class.”

Shults applied for the Air Force after she graduated. She wasn’t allowed to test to become a pilot, but the Navy welcomed her. She was one of the first female fighter pilots in the Navy’s history, and the first woman to fly F-18s. She later became an instructor.

I'm always impressed by the professionalism of aircrew and ATC in these circumstances. Although the SW aircraft has priority, there are several other planes in the queue and on the same frequency, as well as EMS on the ground. Hats off to ATC folks who triage and keep it all straight.

Note they are handling aircraft landing on runway 27 R (right) while handling the emergency aircraft cleared for 27 L (left), which means they're conducting simultaneous ops on parallel runways.

Whew!

Tammy Jo Schultz is not in the photo of the three women in front of the F-18.

L-R The three Pilots in the photo are LT. Sue Hart, LT. Brenda Scheufele, LT. Pam (Lyons) Carel.

The photo is from an article in the March 1993 issue of All Hands magazine. Schultz was interviewed and quoted in the article but it did not include a photo of her. The three pilots in the photo were not identified in the article. The photo is also reversed in the All Hands article. Notice the squadron patch is on the wrong side.

Here is a copy of the actual color photo. 

3vaqf18pilots.jpg (16706 bytes)

Archived