SASS Wire Forum

Artillery, Infantry. and Cavalry

Subdeacon Joe

On 4/16/2018 at 10:55 PM, Major Crimes said:

and Cavalry looks good, doing it all.

January 1st 1961 someone decided that it would be cool to call a United States Army Europe readiness test just after midnight on new years day. The most notable not fatal happening was when the 7th Cav rolled for the East German border they were led by a 2nd Lt in full dress blues, including cape and spurs, riding straddle of an M60 tank's 105 mm gun with raised saber screaming CHARGE.

2 hours ago, Noz said:

January 1st 1961 someone decided that it would be cool to call a United States Army Europe readiness test just after midnight on new years day. The most notable not fatal happening was when the 7th Cav rolled for the East German border they were led by a 2nd Lt in full dress blues, including cape and spurs, riding straddle of an M60 tank's 105 mm gun with raised saber screaming CHARGE.

Wuz alcohol involved, Noz?

2 hours ago, Noz said:

Must have been another regt. The 7th was in Korea in 61.

Our group commander in the 10th SF used to enjoy calling alerts on Saturday nights. Double bonus if it happened to be a holiday weekend. I saw a lot of guys show up in what one could call a less than duty ready condition.....me included. 

We were spoiling for a fight nonetheless. I assumed the Russkis were largely in the same condition as us on Saturday nights. :P

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Must have been another regt. The 7th was in Korea in 61.

Our group commander in the 10th SF used to enjoy calling alerts on Saturday nights. Double bonus if it happened to be a holiday weekend. I saw a lot of guys show up in what one could call a less than duty ready condition.....me included. 

We were spoiling for a fight nonetheless. I assumed the Russkis were largely in the same condition as us on Saturday nights. :P

Vodka or Bourbon the reults are pretty similar:(

37 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

Vodka or Bourbon the reults are pretty similar:(

I seldom drank bourbon in Deutschland. The bier was to die for. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

Ein bier und ein bratwurst bitter (I had no freinds)

:lol:

One of them Cav units.  Which ever one had the responsibility of scouting the Fulda/Hof area if the East Germans had started our way.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

for the russkies it was just another Saturday night and yes they would have been off-balance,but Jan 14 they would have been blotto. They still celebrate on Old New Year but the whole time Jan 1 to Jan14 are holidays.

Archived