SASS Wire Forum

Artillery, Infantry. and Cavalry

Subdeacon Joe

Yes, I know that it takes all working together.  Plus logistics, planning, medical, and, and, and.....

However- 

No automatic alt text available.

Let the spirited comradely discussion begin!

Bottles!  Break out lots of bar snacks!  And two, make that three, drinks for everyone on my tab.

48 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

:D    BUTYou are going to need the INFANTRY to take and hold the ground, Joe

"Artillery conquers, infantry occupies."

Having spent the majority of my career in the Field Artillery, I admit I am a bit biased. Ironically, though, prior to my 2008 deployment we trained in infantry tactics and our mission was essentially an infantry mission. Our guns stayed back in the U.S.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."

~Frederick II of Prussia

4 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

and Cavalry looks good, doing it all.

Oh, you mean "Armor Lite?" :D

5 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

In fairness a Cavalry Regt in Australia now has a Squadron of M1 Abrams:P

Cav units have Abrams in the U.S. Army as well

3 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

:D    BUTYou are going to need the INFANTRY to take and hold the ground, Joe

Right.  Nothing is won until some scared, tired, hungry, and dirty mother's son goes down a hole with a weapon and kills some other scared, tired, hungry and dirty mother's son..... or gets killed himself.

Let's not forget who supplies the who, what and where to make those decisions.

Reconnaissance. :ph34r:

Recon.thumb.jpg.e4152aec6f28fe3eb43029867086524a.jpg

Recon Pic.jpg

11 hours ago, Oklahomabound said:

See the source image

Proud member of III Corps in the 80s--Actually have the original of this poster hanging in my office now!

Enough said.

Battle_of_Waterloo_1815.thumb.PNG.aa06dd7c82a7c5f10f4af9dd5e1bf29e.PNG

Battle of Waterloo Sunday, June 18, 1815.

Views on the reasons for Napoleon's defeat (from WIKIPEDIA)

General Antoine-Henri, Baron Jomini, one of the leading military writers on the Napoleonic art of war, had a number of very cogent explanations of the reasons behind Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo.[aj]

In my opinion, four principal causes led to this disaster:

The first, and most influential, was the arrival, skillfully combined, of Blücher, and the false movement that favored this arrival; the second, was the admirable firmness of the British infantry, joined to the sang-froid and aplomb of its chiefs; the third, was the horrible weather, that had softened the ground, and rendered the offensive movements so toilsome, and retarded till one o'clock the attack that should have been made in the morning; the fourth, was the inconceivable formation of the first corps, in masses very much too deep for the first grand attack.
— Antoine-Henri Jomini.

I seem to recall that Andy Griffith was told that everybody else is "helpers" to the infantry.  I seem to recall lots and lots of planes bombing Iraq but the Infantry had to go in and make a believer out of Hussein.  Seems it is the same in all wars.  no one believes you are serious until a grunt steps onto the field.  

7 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Two types of soldiers in the Army:

Infantry

and 

Infantry-Support

cheyenne

11-B

“Artillerymen believe the world consists of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets.”

-unknown

“The artillery was my strongest tool. Often it was my only reserve …. I repeatedly said it was more a matter of the infantry supporting the artillery than the artillery supporting the infantry…. I wish I knew the countless times that positions were taken or held due solely to TOT’s ….”
– Major General R. 0. Barton
Commanding US 4th Infantry Division World War II

I do not have to tell you who won the war. You know, the artillery did.
– Gen George S. Patton

“Our artillery . . . The Germans feared it almost more than anything we had.”
– Ernie Pyle “Brave Men”, 1944

Doc Ward, 91B/91W/68W, and Combat Medic the entire time. If I had been a medic in the Infantry, I would've been proud to do it too. 

12 minutes ago, DocWard said:

“Artillerymen believe the world consists of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets.”

-unknown

“The artillery was my strongest tool. Often it was my only reserve …. I repeatedly said it was more a matter of the infantry supporting the artillery than the artillery supporting the infantry…. I wish I knew the countless times that positions were taken or held due solely to TOT’s ….”
– Major General R. 0. Barton
Commanding US 4th Infantry Division World War II

I do not have to tell you who won the war. You know, the artillery did.
– Gen George S. Patton

“Our artillery . . . The Germans feared it almost more than anything we had.”
– Ernie Pyle “Brave Men”, 1944

Doc Ward, 91B/91W/68W, and Combat Medic the entire time. If I had been a medic in the Infantry, I would've been proud to do it too. 

This made me smile when I read it a few years ago.

If you encounter a unit you can’t identify, fire one round over their heads so it won’t hit anyone.

“If the response is a fusillade of rapid, precise rifle fire, they’re British.

“If the response is a s**tstorm of machine-gun fire, they’re German.

“If they throw down their arms and surrender, they’re Italian.

“And if nothing happens for five minutes and then your position is obliterated by support artillery or an airstrike, they’re American.”

It’s quite true that on a conventional battlefield, artillery is the biggest killer.

But artillery can’t take and hold ground ....only chew it up. :P

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

And if you a thousand troops yelling “ Bloody Hell” they are Australian.

Lets be honest, if you shoot at an Aussie you cant print the remarks he is going to send back your way:wacko:

There is swear like a trooper and then there is swear like an Aussie.

26 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It’s quite true that on a conventional battlefield, artillery is the biggest killer.

But artillery can’t take and hold ground ....only chew it up. :P

I refer you back to my original comment! :D

And if there were still any doubt, I would just point out that General Anthony McAuliffe, the ever so eloquent officer who delivered the famous "NUTS!" response to the Germans at Bastogne, was the 101st Airborne's commander of division artillery, and was a Field Artillery officer!

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

artillery can make a lot of foxholes, but we can fill them up too

The 250 lb bombs dropped by B52's in Vietnam made the Land of a Million Ponds. In my mind I can see the craters filled with water of many colors that I saw flying over 3 core in UH1's or Air America STOL airplanes.

J.D Daily

25th ID & 17th Field Force Artillery RVN 1970-1971.

Archived