SASS Wire Forum

Federal Top Gun 900 fps Metro Loads

Patagonia Pete

I was curious if anyone has been using (or has tried) these Federal Top Gun 12 Gauge Metro Loads (shotshells) with any success??

They are advertised as 1 1/8 - 7 1/2 at 900fps. I have (searched and) found some good reports from 97 users. (FE-TGM123-7.5)

As an example ... here are some at Rodgers ...

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/estate-super-sport-target-20ga-2-3-4-shot-size-7-5-1.html

The brass is taller and something I tried once in a SxS ... AND ... have avoided since.... :mellow:

:ph34r:  Love 'em!  They shuck fine from our SKB's and BSS.  They shoot softly but hit hard. I keep a box in the cart in case we encounter some  recalcitrant KD's which are unresponsive to our pussy-foot SG loads (kinder on our ailing shoulder joints...).

The high brass on the Metros will not usually cause shucking problems.  There's more hangups on the cheap plastic of bargain shells, not because they often have high brass.  It takes max pressures to blow that brass out, and the Metros don't have much pressure.

Several pards I know have tried them.  Only thing they don't like is sometimes they are hard to find.  Ordering in bulk may be wise.

Good luck, GJ

I have never shot them but I do shoot a lot of the Federal Top Gun Extra Lite Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 7/8 oz #8 Shot.  Mild recoil and have taken down every KD I have encountered.

I save the hulls and reload them with BP.

We have been using these loads for a number of years in Wild Bunch.  They do have a mild recoil.  As a matter of fact I shot around of Trap at the 16 yd line and they worked great I shot a 25 with them.  They did take a while to get to the target

57 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

How does the price compare with Winchester feather-lites?

Well ... if you bought TWO cases of the feather-lites at Rogers you would get free shipping ... and $10 off a case ... and that would then only be $10 more than the Metros ... but current rebates give you 50 cents a box back on the Metros ... and 2 bucks a box back on the Winchesters ... so the Winchesters might just be the deal right now.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/ammunition/winchester-lead/winchester-aa/winchester-aa-low-recoil-target-loads-12ga-2-3-4-7-8oz-980fps-shot-size-8.html

-_-

They work well out of my coyote cap special 87 (which supposedly only runs well with featherlights).  I like them a little better than featherlights because they kick a little harder and have a distinct smell.  My wife hates them for the exact same reasons.  I'm currently shooting up the case I bought, but I think from now on I'll just buy whatever is cheapest and be sure to save back some featherlights in case y wife wants to shoot. 

Archived