SASS Wire Forum

guns at a Bar B Q?

Trigger Mike

I go to the Wilson Combat website often as I have dreamed of owning one of their pistols for many years.  One of the in stock offerings links goes to a "Texas Bar B Q Special" and the text says that folks in Texas bring their fancy gun to Bar B Qs.  Here in Ga folks keep their gun hidden.  DO Texans really wear theirs to be seen at Bar B Qs?  Do they buy guns just to take to a Bar B Q?  My wife wants to move to Texas ( I assume as a family -  :-)  )  so she could use that in her argument.  I was born there is another reason to go.

I think that's a play on the concept of the "BBQ Gun" versus the "Court Gun." The Lawdog Files blog explains it best:

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/03/court-guns-and-bbq-guns.html

Basically a court gun is what a law enforcement officer wears when in court. It and its attendant leather look professional and maybe a bit understated, but not so much as to be inconspicuous. An officer's gun is as much a symbol of his authority as his badge.

A BBQ gun, on the other hand, is a fashion statement. It's meant to be noticed.

1 hour ago, Sparky Nelson said:

I think that's a play on the concept of the "BBQ Gun" versus the "Court Gun." The Lawdog Files blog explains it best:

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/03/court-guns-and-bbq-guns.html

Basically a court gun is what a law enforcement officer wears when in court. It and its attendant leather look professional and maybe a bit understated, but not so much as to be inconspicuous. An officer's gun is as much a symbol of his authority as his badge.

A BBQ gun, on the other hand, is a fashion statement. It's meant to be noticed.

Never heard of a court gun. Where I worked only the court baliffs were armed. Regular lawdogs had to check theirs in a locker when entering the courthouse.

I have heard the expression "Bar-B-Q Gun" many times , but not with Texas as part of the quote. And I lived here my first 35 years , and have been back for 10 now , with another 3 years in the late 80s. Bar-B-Q gun just meant fancy or showy to most folks. Besides that , despite what you might hear , there is Bar-B-Q in other states.

When I think of Bar-B-Q gun , the image in my mind is either an Ivory gripped , engraved Colt SAA or same set-up S&W N-frame , in a full carved holster and belt outfit with gold or silver buckle set. maybe with rubies inset.

Rex , who does like Bar-B-Q. :D

This adds new meaning to BBQ Gun....:blink:

5ad4e5ccc7b54_BBQGunGrill.jpg.7b5befca79e831bbd97b1d729a3aae24.jpg

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Never heard of a court gun. Where I worked only the court baliffs were armed. Regular lawdogs had to check theirs in a locker when entering the courthouse.

Likewise, I've never heard the term "court gun".  However, the only time I had to lock up my gun entering a court house was when I had to go into the Federal Courts building for a case.

Angus

In the Southwest, there’s a firearms tradition known by many as the “barbeque gun”. Not to be confused with an everyday carry piece, the barbeque gun is a special sidearm carried for similarly special occasions…think of them as the “dress saber” to some full military uniforms.

What makes a barbecue gun? Ah, that’s the fun of it; there aren’t any rules to this game: an individual is free to make the firearm an expression of himself and to ornament the piece accordingly. As you might expect, the levels of ornamentation run the gamut from exotic wood grips to full coverage engraving to gold plating.

For myself, my own “BBQ gun” is my old, fully restored Series 70 Colt Gold Cup. That handgun and I go way back and, when it rattled worse than my old farm truck, I had it completely rebuilt. Afterward, the boys at Turnbull color-cased the frame and re-blued the slide. A handsome set of mammoth ivory grips rounded out the package: to my eye, it’s an elegant yet understated bit of work.  It rides in a custom rig by Jeffrey Leather.

But that's just me...

"Ad"

GC1.JPG

GC3.JPG

I heard of Barbecue Guns many years ago when I was a kid living in New Mexico. I was in 6th grade at the time and wondered what kind of a rowdy circus made it necessary to carry a gun at a barbecue. And then the guns came out and the bragging started. No further explanation was needed. Beautiful guns, for sure.

Here is an article with examples of Barbecue Guns. I do not own one but will someday when I find the right gun. I am thinking an S&W 586 with some tasteful engraving and the perfect set of grips...Or perhaps a S&W 1905 completely redone in a jet black bluing job with some engraving and gold and silver inlays with Spalted Maple grips...Or maybe a Ruger Blackhawk....

http://www.recoilweb.com/5-summer-bbq-guns-103003.html

I guess my BBQ guns are my SASS guns.  The only time I ever carried openly to a BBQ was the BBQ after our annual match.  Since I have been informed this is a thing, if I ever find myself in a situation where I need a BBQ gun, I reckon I'll just wear my single holster rig with my right hand main match pistol. 

First off you don't have to be a "drinker" to go to and enjoy BBQ. I have several BBQ guns. I also take note of the court gun, don't know if I own one or not. HOWEVER I do own a Church gun which no one else has mentioned. I've owned that one for many years.

None of those would be confused with CAS guns.

kR

22 hours ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

I have heard the expression "Bar-B-Q Gun" many times , but not with Texas as part of the quote.

Like this one?

Although Texas is an Open Carry state, I'm still of old school where concealed means concealed.

I can count on one hand how many times I've actually seen a sidearm at a Bar-B-Q or restaurant for that matter.

BBQ.png

27 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Waiting to see the "Prom Night Gun."

The gun worn when Dad answers the door for his daughter's prom date?:D

"Worn"? At my house that stage instruction usually reads, "...shotgun held at cowboy port arms."

My idea of a BBQ gun is a gold plated desert eagle in 50AE.  Can't get anymore ostentatious than that.

The only reason I would want to own one is the unique for a pistol, rotating bolt action.  The same reason I'd own a H&K squeeze cocker with its' gas retarded blowback SA requiring squeezing the grip to cock the striker.

we have a BBQ place in Houston (Brooks Place  http://www.brooksplacebbq.com/ ) that gives you 10% off if you have your LTC licence and carry gun with you.  Great BBQ by the way.

My church gun is a little one that fits nicely in my front pants pocket in a #1 holster.  "God helps those who help themselves"

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

we have a BBQ place in Houston...  Great BBQ by the way.

+1

Thought they went out of business when they left Katy.

16 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Waiting to see the "Prom Night Gun."

The gun worn when Dad answers the door for his daughter's prom date?:D

That would be a Double Barrel shotgun...not kiddin' ;)

25 minutes ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

+1

Thought they went out of business when they left Katy.

no, they moved to an ACE Hardware parking lot.

It's a bit different than Texas BBQ and we love it--also love the Texas meat

1 hour ago, Henry T Harrison said:

My BBQ guns

BERETTA.edit (3).JPG

RUGER2 (2).jpg

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to call a ruger a BBQ gun, punishable by a lynching.

Speaking of BBQ guns, I just placed a WTB ad in the classifieds. I am trying to build a BBQ gun of my own (Colt of course), and starting with something that has an already worn finish since the finish will have to be removed anyway for the heavy engraving. Anyone have one?

3 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to call a ruger a BBQ gun, punishable by a lynching.

Speaking of BBQ guns, I just placed a WTB ad in the classifieds. I am trying to build a BBQ gun of my own (Colt of course), and starting with something that has an already worn finish since the finish will have to be removed anyway for the heavy engraving. Anyone have one?

BLESS YOUR HEART

I was at a Garage sale and spotted this rifle, asked how much? lady said I'll give you $5 if you take it, it scares me. With a crisp 1/2 a sawbuck and my new toy I was skipping down the driveway as the Lady shouted at me, "Careful, you'll shoot yer eye out Kid" When I got home I cut off the shoulder stock down to a pistol grip. Then hacksawed off the barrel to a 5 incher. Now I gotz me a real shooter and Bar B Que Gun to show off. It does the job cuz there's always a crowd gathered around when I whip that puppy out to show her off. Haven't found any ammo so I'll prolly make some up with Black Powder. BOOM, she goes!!!

shoot yer eye out.jpg

8 hours ago, Big Jake1001 said:

I was at a Garage sale and spotted this rifle, asked how much? lady said I'll give you $5 if you take it, it scares me. With a crisp 1/2 a sawbuck and my new toy I was skipping down the driveway as the Lady shouted at me, "Careful, you'll shoot yer eye out Kid" When I got home I cut off the shoulder stock down to a pistol grip. Then hacksawed off the barrel to a 5 incher. Now I gotz me a real shooter and Bar B Que Gun to show off. It does the job cuz there's always a crowd gathered around when I whip that puppy out to show her off. Haven't found any ammo so I'll prolly make some up with Black Powder. BOOM, she goes!!!

shoot yer eye out.jpg

You found my gun I lost!

wondered what happened to it :D

17 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

My BBQ guns

BERETTA.edit (3).JPG

That's my church gun without all the fancy stuff on it.

while I know it won't stop a charging rhino, my thinking is any return fire will help the bad guy thinks s/he should be elsewhere.

We have to make compromises all the time

Actually, a fancy carved or tooled leather belt and holster is often the more important part of a "barbque rig".  A simple nicely blued gun with good grips looks great in custom leather. Gun engraving looks great but you can't  see a lot of it when holstered. 

2 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Actually, a fancy carved or tooled leather belt and holster is often the more important part of a "barbque rig".  A simple nicely blued gun with good grips looks great in custom leather. Gun engraving looks great but you can't  see a lot of it when holstered. 

You mean like these in this?

US Firearms SAA, 38 WCF.jpeg

Holster, Barbecue Rig 2.jpg

Archived