SASS Wire Forum

When is your Breaking Point?

I know it is different in all sports, but there will always be a time when you become frustrated with your performance.

When I placed Tennis regularly and in tournaments, it was either when my serve wasn't going in regularly, smashing a lob out of bounds or just missing an easy shot.

That's when you feel like ending it all. :D

5ad49a723efc3_Tennis-BreakingPoint.JPG.1a7ae7ee6710ffbcedc2ebbfcd9ec685.JPG

Fortunately in Cowboy Action Shooting, you can't do this::P

5ad49b13bbbb3_CowboywithGuntoHead.JPG.76c43bdb41f9d660694f331a5b9b5a93.JPG

But, what does get you frustrated personally?

Cases in point:

Telling someone (TO at an annual) not to provide (illegally acquired) ammo (P + misses if act completed).

Telling someone they must pre-stage their rifle flat on the table (P if not corrected).

Telling a Buckaroo he made the right call (same TO did not call it) when he pointed out that the shooter had a cocked rifle when coming to the line (SDQ).

Mine is usually centered around anyone who 'makes up rules'  or like to make up their own rule because that how "they've always done it".

And its especially irritating when someone wants to give you a penalty for a nonexistent rule and refuses to listen to others about the situation.

..........Widder

If I have a decent match going and miss, I get mad at myself and I'm likely to miss two or three more. A personal flaw that I've been trying to fix.

5 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I know it is different in all sports, but there will always be a time when you become frustrated with your performance.

When I placed Tennis regularly and in tournaments, it was either when my serve wasn't going in regularly, smashing a lob out of bounds or just missing an easy shot.

That's when you feel like ending it all. :D

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're asking what about my own performance will get me frustrated and make me want to give up / call it a day. I've racked my brain and when it comes to the shooting sports, I can't think of that happening. That isn't to say I haven't had some bad performances.

When I shot trap in college, at the nationals, we were shooting our second 100 after a rain delay, and the temperature started getting colder. I backed up a 95 with an 88, and I just couldn't get myself back into "the zone" as I had been for the first 100 and recognized it. It was frustrating, but I was so focused on trying to do better (which was mentally part of my problem) that I never considered giving up. We ended up doing OK, placing high enough to beat all the service academies and plenty of bigger schools, but still not one of my better performances.

I still consider myself such a novice at Cowboy Action that I take bad / slow performance as a given. The only time I wanted to give up was at my first State when using reloads provided by another shooter (who shall remain nameless), I had three squibs in my first three shots on my first stage. I nearly called it a day then, and if not for some very supportive posse members (who do frequent the Saloon), I likely would have.

I will say that in running there have been times when I've realized I'm far off my desired pace. It usually happens at about the second mile of a 5K race, on a hot, miserable day, that will suck the energy and motivation from me and make me want to give up. It is only through extreme will that I haven't, although I will admit that a couple of times that final mile or so has involved lots of walking.

I believe rudeness in the folks I "play" with is what gets me to mine.

Used to play golf, with Daddy and a couple of friends of his. We walked. And the way WE played, we'd all hit, and then go down the fairway to the first ball. Three of us would WAIT while the guy that was "away" would hit, and then the four of us would go to the next ball. That way we all got to the green at the same time. We'd putt out and then all go to the next tee.

Hadn't played in ten years or so. Some guys at work were talking golf, and when they found out I played, asked me to join them. Course I'd never played, and carts were required.

Being extremely out of practice, I sliced my drive into the next fairway. I drove over there, got my 3 iron, and the other guy took the cart and away he went, to where his ball was. I played the rest of the hole with my 3 iron because all my other clubs were on the cart, away hell and gone.

Second hole, I at least kept it in the fairway, but I still was last.

Third tee, the other guy on my cart moved his clubs to the other guys' cart, and when they'd all teed off, they jumped in their cart and drove off. Did not even wait for me to hit.

I watched 'em for a minute, put my ball and club back in my bag, drove back to the clubhouse and turned in the key.

Screw it. That ain't the way I was taught to play.

Alpo,

That reminds me of the first and only time I skied at Squaw Valley at Lake Tahoe. I didn't know the trails. I almost got shoved off the lift by two never minds. I lost a ski in that incident. Luckily an experienced skier brought to me at the end of the lift. I never saw the person who went with me until time to leave. I wish I'd just left her and drove home. Unfortunately, I worked with her and I'm sure there would be "Hell to Pay" (that is almost a SASS pun ;) ). After that I mostly skied by myself or my sister-in-law. It was much more pleasant. I'd go to Northstar and kill a few hours in the free intermediate class and then ski around at my pace looking at the beautiful scenery.

I wish I  could still ski.

Regards,

Allie

6 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

When someone tells me that attempting to see that the rules are followed will lose (or already have lost) me friends.

breaking point ?

hmmmmm ...

it causes me to reflect on the comments made by WF Buckley in Miles Gone By at the end of the chapter Aweigh.   Mr. Buckley recalls his love of sailing and balances the pleasure there with the efforts required.    Each of us will approach this on any of our various activities at some time.

alas

I go shooting when I hit a “breaking point” in some other part of my life. 

I cant imagine anything that would happen at a match that would cause me to “break”.  If I can’t shoot, I can shag brass, run the timer, or take pictures of my posse.

Don’t get me wrong, I am NOT a Pollyanna.  I love to win my category and I try hard to win my category and if I don’t perform up to my capabilities I get motivated to change something.  But time on the range is a gift.  It’s bad manners to get upset with a gift.

The second stage of my second match.  I put a 45 Colt sized hole in the stage roof.  I packed up (before the MD DQed me) and picked up brass for the rest of the match.  Paid the club an extra $1 there after towards roof repairs.

Down south at the Circle R.  Third stage my hands were frozen and I couldn't feel my guns.

1. When I blow a clean match on the last stage!

2. Whenever I get a "P" on a stage that I wrote!!!

3. When I get to the shotgun targets and have no shotgun shells!!

9 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Understanding of course, ALL three have been known to happen to Rye in the same match on the Same Day   :o:rolleyes:

I believe it!!! But then again I never went up with UNLOADED GUNS, like someone I know!!:P

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:48 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

1. When I blow a clean match on the last stage!

2. Whenever I get a "P" on a stage that I wrote!!!

3. When I get to the shotgun targets and have no shotgun shells!!

You mean that I'm not the only one who did all of those?

I had one MSV last weekend.  I hated it.  I was really upset at myself.  It was the first time that happened and I'll make sure it's the last.  Couldn't stand to have that on my name.

Archived