SASS Wire Forum

Angles and Belly Buttons...

Phantom, SASS #54973

Why do we have the x-draw angle and belly button rules???? Some Posse Leaders enforce them only to see other Posse Leaders ignore them. You bring it to the attention of the other Posse Leaders and still...nothing. They just look at ya like ya have a third eye or something.

But dang...if so many folks don't seem to give a darn...particularly the SG Bra issue...why have the rule...????

Phantom

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question. The only place I have noticed an effort to enforce those 2 rules is at WR and EOT. I've mentioned it a few times over the years at State and Regional level and got the same response you did.

some folks don't want to be 'the bad guy'  or don't see it as a big issue.

One time a SASS member stated in his classified post he was selling something for a non-SASS member  Classifieds may only be posted by a SASS Member (you may not post for someone else)

pointed this out in the post and got jumped all over about not being the cowboy way, etc.   At that point wasn't a big enough problem to keep posting (pick your battles and this wasn't going to be one for me)

After studying up and passing the RO1 and RO2 class,  I can see infractions of the rules in most every shooters at local matches. Many are just ignored because of circumstance such as new shooters just trying out the game.  Another is weather conditions like yesterday was unpleasantly cool and wet and some wore winter jackets and others wore rubber boots.  I do see some experienced shooters who are fully aware of the rules have things arranged in a way that could be challenged.   

Things like rubber boots and winter jackets can be overlooked for the sake of safety. And If you see just about every shooter at your local matches violating SASS rules, I would suggest that your clubs have issues.

Rules here on the Wire are irrelevant since they are not in the shooter's handbook.

Phantom

Because everyone is the Cowboy and No one is the Indian :huh:

Meaning if you go with the popular people and have No opinion of your own .

You always stay in your safe zone and don't draw any attention to yourself.  

Instead of standing on your own you just join the crowd . 

I'm a believer in right is right and wrong is wrong .

It don't matter if you are popular or not .

Rooster  

I’d like to humbly volunteer to be the LOCAS official belly button checker. 

All shooters at the five clubs that I attend abide by SASS angles and belly button rule because it is a SASS rule.

I've seen the shotshell belt rule consistently enforced in our area.  In fact, when I first started shooting 3 years ago, during my first match, I was informed of the rule and asked to correct my belt location. 

Welcome back Phantom.  

I wholeheartedly agree.  I started a thread sometime back questioning the lack of enforcement of the 170° while holstering a cross-draw and was jumped like a three-legged cat by a pack of junkyard dogs.  The consensus was that it wasn't really happening and I needed to call the penalty.  It didn't matter that it was apparent on numerous videos of popular shooters, the folks just didn't want to address the problem.  I guess enforcement of our rules ruins the fun for some folks.  Frankly, the lack of enforcement of our rules dampens my fun. 

I'm betting that the majority just started shooting at a club where it's not enforced...the club doesn't partake in SASS sanctioned events so they don't stick to the rules or don't really KNOW the rules. They see folks wearing the belts high and think it's the way to wear them...

Point is, most of these folks don't actually read the handbook. And since the club's aren't all that up on the rules either...no one's correcting them.

There's always some rule that you don't run into very often...and can forget about...but come on folks, get your belts where they belong and get your holster angles right.

Phantom

Is there a market for fake glue on navels?  How about rewriting the rule, and saying the shotgun belt can't be further than a fist higher than the gun belt or something similar.

Most people’s belly buttons aren’t middrif or even with their elbows...

At a match last year one of the popular long timers at our club had his holsters up front and close. He got called on it. He was embarrassed but moved the holsters apart where they should be. I saw a bunch of folks checking their own just to  be sure. Sometimes it’s good to remind folks what the rules say.

Cheyenne Ranger,

Just hit the "report" link in the upper right of the post.  We'll take care of it.  But, we are not "all seeing, all knowing".  If you see an infraction, call it.  

Phantom,

"Stoopid" is a fine word.  I like it.  It's just what follows that gets me in trouble!

Goodnight y'all,

Eli

1 hour ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

How about wearing your gunbelt so low you have to walk bow-legged to keep it on?  

47 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

Is there a rule against that? 

11 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

No but if there was, would it get called?  I seriously doubt it.

How about wearing it so low that you CAN'T walk bow-legged (or mount a horse)?

All clothing and equipment must be worn appropriately and how it was intended, or how it would have been in the Old West or as seen on B-Western movies and television.  

SHB p.2

Two examples of illegally worn holsters (found on internet posts from major SASS events)

Both are at around 48 degrees (BTW - BOTH shooters were standing next to RO INSTRUCTORS in the original photos)

HOLSTER 48 DEGREES.jpg

HOLSTER 50 DEGREES.jpg

2 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Two examples of illegally worn holsters (found on internet posts from major SASS events)

Both are at around 48 degrees (BTW - BOTH shooters were standing next to RO INSTRUCTORS in the original photos)

HOLSTER 48 DEGREES.jpg

HOLSTER 50 DEGREES.jpg

You can hear the "BUGGER! thats me" all the way over here:D

3 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

You can hear the "BUGGER! thats me" all the way over here:D

Pssst...we don’t use the word “bugger” in the US so if you heard “Bugger, that’s me”. It was probably an Aussie. :P:D

Or a brit. 

I don't wear crossdraws anymore so I'm a little fuzzy on them.  What would need to be done to make those holsters legal?  Are they built wrong or just being worn wrong? 

I think I have that top holster from when I first started.  gunna have to find my protractor and check the angles. 

Page 3 shooters handbook.

image.png.75f431fddb4209175b047087168883fe.png

Pin the holster with a Chicago screw so the angle is less than 30 degrees.

Clubs should do their shooters a favor and enforce the rules. Nothing fun about showing up to a large match and finding that your gear is illegal...not fun for the shooter or the RO's.

10 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

HOLSTER 48 DEGREES.jpg

In this photo, it appears that the Cowboys belly button is about an inch maybe above his jeans. How would he fit a shotgun belt in that small space? Looks like holster rig is being worn proper. I'm not large and I can just fit both below the navel. Wonder if the rule should be "At or below belly button". I guess I'm sorta alright with the position so long as it isn't being worn way above the holsters or like OP as a shotgun bra!

I didn't look, cuz that would of made sense:P. For some reason I thought it had to be below. I can still wear it there, but as weight seems to get in the way, that may change.;)

Archived