SASS Wire Forum

Ideas to Grow SASS Membership and expand the Sport

Buckaroo Bubba

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Borrow the Miroku ‘73 from Ginny Hinny ;)

Do a little work on your cartridge stop lever or clean the action. Ginny may not let you borrow her 73.

On 4/17/2018 at 8:05 AM, Doc Shapiro said:

I'm sad to say that folks just don't read anymore.  They want everything handed to them in a short, easy to consume video.  The dumbing down of society, but that's another topic.

To play Devil's Advocate, what would get you more excited to play a sport... Watching football on TV or reading the NFL rulebook?  

I know a lot of people who read...I play Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, Starfinder and the old West End Games Star Wars RPG.  Have you ever read *those* rulebooks?  Those are the kind of people I hang out with.  You know what gets them to say "Wow! That looks really cool!"?  Videos, and to a lesser extent pictures, of CAS.

I myself got interested in it by watching it on TV.  I don't know if it would have engaged me as much if I read about it in a magazine without pictures.  I read all the time, constantly, but it doesn't make me dumb to be more interested in watching a well made video instead especially of a fast paced sport. 

Still playing Devil's Advocate... Would it really hurt to have a SASS channel on YouTube?  It would take only a small amount of effort to have a host explain the different categories with someone dressed up?

I used to work in video production.  I believe in this enough to volunteer to help out.  It would just be another way to reach people.  It would certainly be cheaper than a nationwide TV commercial. 

I have a bit of an idea.  Shoot it down if it's no good.  This whole thread is a 'brainstorm' session, so nothing's out.

I've been exploring on You Tube, and there is lots of great stuff out there by shooters and clubs.  Introduction videos, etc.  There is lot' covering all aspects of this game, scattered about and tucked away.  Perhaps I could start a "SASS Channel", or "Cowboy Action Shooting TV".  The idea is that I'd go through the best of what's out there and, with permission post copies, arrange them into an order.  What SASS and Cowboy Action Shooting Is, What you need to get started, How to practice.  With the permission of the authors, maybe Smokestack, Deuce, Doc Shapiro, Widder and others would let me put copies of their "how to" vids into the Rifle, Pistol, or Shotgun sections.  I think I could get some of the RO instructors to do some brief WTC vids.  We have plenty of talented instructors about.  I could talk to Misty about it.  SASS wouldn't have to lay out a dime.  I figured I have the time, since I'm retired and can't do too much, can't shoot 'til until my eyeballs heal up and my vision clears.  (maybe I can shoot again late summer, early fall)....

I figure that might give us some promotional and introductory "stuff" to work with.  I could put it on Facebook also, just to increase exposure, since both venues are free.

~Duc~

5 hours ago, McCandless said:

I have a bit of an idea.  Shoot it down if it's no good.  This whole thread is a 'brainstorm' session, so nothing's out.

I've been exploring on You Tube, and there is lots of great stuff out there by shooters and clubs.  Introduction videos, etc.  There is lot' covering all aspects of this game, scattered about and tucked away.  Perhaps I could start a "SASS Channel", or "Cowboy Action Shooting TV".  The idea is that I'd go through the best of what's out there and, with permission post copies, arrange them into an order.  What SASS and Cowboy Action Shooting Is, What you need to get started, How to practice.  With the permission of the authors, maybe Smokestack, Deuce, Doc Shapiro, Widder and others would let me put copies of their "how to" vids into the Rifle, Pistol, or Shotgun sections.  I think I could get some of the RO instructors to do some brief WTC vids.  We have plenty of talented instructors about.  I could talk to Misty about it.  SASS wouldn't have to lay out a dime.  I figured I have the time, since I'm retired and can't do too much, can't shoot 'til until my eyeballs heal up and my vision clears.  (maybe I can shoot again late summer, early fall)....

I figure that might give us some promotional and introductory "stuff" to work with.  I could put it on Facebook also, just to increase exposure, since both venues are free.

~Duc~

Jedi TV does a lot of that already. Maybe you could get together with him and SASS and create a SASS channel on YouTube. Your idea sounds like it’s got a ton of potential, thank you.

On 4/17/2018 at 2:21 PM, Yul Lose said:

Try showin up at a match with a Lightning Rifle (any make) as a new shooter if you want to have your enthusiasm crimped.

I did just that, already owning the rifle when I started in SASS. After a trip to Longhunter in Amarillo the rifle works very well, given any bullet but a SWC.

7 hours ago, McCandless said:

~Duc~

Sounds good, but I am skeptical about relying on liberal outlets like Google's YouTube and also Facebook to continue to allow gun topics, as the subject gets increasingly demonized, all while western theme and other movies become more and more violent. We cannot ignore recent efforts to censor media content and the direction in which it leads. I think personal contact and mentoring is still the best way to bring in new shooters.

What if we could somehow have our Cowboy Action Shooting videos posted on the SASS webpage. If McCandless could put something together, a compilation of videos that SASS could put on the website that we could share.

I always liked Hawkeye Gin's video

We show this video when we do promo events. Obviously there would be more involved if SASS would do something like this with Song Rights and such. This video is very catchy. I know, this video only shows "Speed Demons" but if someone creative enough could put together something similar that shows a bit of everything to a catchy tune?? Might be the way to go..

I think McCandless is onto something...

Other thing that popped in my head was what if SASS somehow advertised with the Reloading Manufacturers? Say make a deal with Dillon or Hornady to included SASS Brochures in with their presses. Someone that is buying a reloading press would obviously have one big piece of the puzzle (the reloading equipment) and they might not know about SASS. Not sure how willing or what the cost would be to advertise with these places but might be worth the research.

2 hours ago, Buckaroo Bubba said:

Other thing that popped in my head was what if SASS somehow advertised with the Reloading Manufacturers? Say make a deal with Dillon or Hornady to included SASS Brochures in with their presses. Someone that is buying a reloading press would obviously have one big piece of the puzzle (the reloading equipment) and they might not know about SASS. Not sure how willing or what the cost would be to advertise with these places but might be worth the research.

Or maybe a SASS sponsored article in the Blue Press.

"Light them up" is one of the very best video's to sell SASS.  You do not have to be in it for speed to appreciate this video.  It needs to get out to a broader viewing audience. Thank you for your hard work in putting it together.   Everyone likes being around a champion  regardless if the shoot fast or not.   One of the items that make SASS so special is that everyone shoots together, whether they are in it for the dress, the old west or an old fashion drag race with cowboy period firearms.  By the way, Dillon 's Blue Press has posted several articles on SASS shooters in the past.  If you want them to continue you have to let them know you are interested.    Also, publicize your champions.  NRA magazine and Dillon press would be a great place.  

Over the years we have been to matches that were videoed.  Whenever we promoted SASS at outdoor shows in our area we took these videos along.  The bang and clang caught people's attention and got them to pause at the booth.  What drew them in was noticing that while some shooters were lightening fast, others were quite simply a hoot to watch.  The mix of "reenactment" costuming and cowboy up the best you can along with the mix of fast vs slow, young vs old were reassuring to everyone that was drawn in.  The videos were taken at different ranges and prospective shooters saw little western towns or simple tables set up in bays.  The vast differences provided something for everyone to view and kept them around to ask their questions.  Quite often our guns were in gun carts or on shelves at the booth and those that were truly interested in how to get started spent quite a bit of time gathering info on firearms.  

Videos are probably one of the best tools we have.  The bangs and clangs, laughter, and so much more are captured.  Viewers find it a very welcoming first exposure to the game.  I would love to see a video encompassing the many facets of enjoying CAS available to us for use at shows. 

I found sass by accident on you tube 3 years ago. I live in Illinois and found the local club and went to watch a match. I was hooked and started buying the guns and equipment needed but still need the rifle. I go to gun shows and have never seen a booth set up for sass. If every club did a 50/50 raffle it might cover the cost of a table.and have anyone who joins sass use that clubs affiliate to see how affective doing shows may be. 

On 4/19/2018 at 7:09 AM, Buckaroo Bubba said:

What if we could somehow have our Cowboy Action Shooting videos posted on the SASS webpage. If McCandless could put something together, a compilation of videos that SASS could put on the website that we could share

You have a very good point. If there were videos on the SASS Home page (not the SASS Wire home page) that might be very beneficial.

I am not trying to be insulting here but just go to the SASS home page.

https://sassnet.com/

Look at it from the perspective of a newcomer.

You see a fairly ordinary page. Nothing really jumps out and grabs your attention.

I would have headers with Cowboy Action Shooting and there would be a video to click. The video would be a really video with great music and people bangin’ and clangin’. I would have a Wild Bunch header and a video. The links for rules and details would be less dominant as would the Marktplace ads. The first thing a newcomer should see is “FUN”! :D

Since everyone thinks CAS shooters are all old, we should advertise in AARP and AMAC magazines. 

I was talking to a guy in Nebraska last weekend. He told me he had been involved in the shooting sports since he was a kid and he'd never heard of SASS.

What's with the lack of marketing? We must advertise in the CC in order to put on a state or above level shoot, those ads are not cheap. I'd like to see some of that money go towards some kind of nation wide marketing.

35 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am not trying to be insulting here but just go to the SASS home page.

https://sassnet.com/

Look at it from the perspective of a newcomer.

You see a fairly ordinary page. Nothing really jumps out and grabs your attention.

I would have headers with Cowboy Action Shooting and there would be a video to click. 

You make a good point.

I find the present SASS Home Page difficult to use, and I know what I am looking for. Crowded, hard to tell which is information and which is a link.

A few ideas:

Advertising: if your club's range will allow it, put up a sign. Something simple, like "[Club Name] Cowboy Action Shooting, 2nd Saturday of every month, All Welcome", with your club's web address or a phone number. If your club has a logo, put it on there, along with the SASS logo. 

A permanent, professional-looking sign allows anyone driving by or visiting the range on a non-shoot day to see that your club exists. I feel that one of the big problems with our sport is that many people who would be interested either a) don't know that the sport exists, or b) are aware of the sport but have no idea there's a club in the area.

If the range where you shoot won't allow a permanent sign, consider a banner that can be easily set up or taken down. 

Consider flyers on the bulletin boards of whatever businesses you can envision potential shooters frequenting. Gun shops, hardware or outdoor stores, even places like the local library (where do you think people are getting those Louis L'Amour books from, andyway?), City Hall (Want more LEOs to come shoot with us?), college campuses (Want to advertise to young people? Here you go...), etc. 

Consider the advantages of social media. Does your club have a facebook page? Does someone update it frequently? Several of our local clubs do a great job with this. Is your club on Instagram? SASS is, as are the NRA, GOA, Uberti, Ruger, and a whole lot of other gun companies and gunfolk. Myself, I started a separate Possum.Stu Instagram account, where I share photos and videos of shoots and other CAS-related things when I can. I figure that's an easy way for me to be an ambassador for the sport, and at the very least, it amuses me.

Speaking of being an ambassador for the sport, I think that's how we should always view ourselves. Just as every one of us is a safety officer, every one of us is an ambassador for the sport - we should always be striving to make a positive impression on non-cowboy shooters. I got hooked on CAS after two cowboys, Sly Steadyhand and Cannonball Dent, insisted that I try shooting, when I had just come with the intention of watching.

However, I wholeheartedly believe that sometimes, in the spirit of being helpful, we drive people away from our sport. I agree with those who have said - When a new shooter shows up with their brand new rifle, they DO NOT need to hear how they should have bought an 1873 instead of an 1866, or .38s instead of .45s, or how that Rossi or Henry Big Boy will never run fast enough for our game, or how those stock pistols will need another $300 each of gunsmithing to be competitive (all things I've heard at one time or another). Even if/when true, I believe these statements do more harm than good for a beginning shooter.

Being kind, welcoming, and helpful is good. Being overbearing is not. Advice can be very helpful and should be given when requested, but unsolicited advice can be a turn off for a new shooter. Be helpful, but not a know-it-all. (My wife, Little Red Rampage, informs me that this is doubly true when dealing with new lady shooters.)

8 hours ago, Possum Stu said:

A few ideas:

Advertising: if your club's range will allow it, put up a sign. Something simple, like "[Club Name] Cowboy Action Shooting, 2nd Saturday of every month, All Welcome", with your club's web address or a phone number. If your club has a logo, put it on there, along with the SASS logo. 

A permanent, professional-looking sign allows anyone driving by or visiting the range on a non-shoot day to see that your club exists. I feel that one of the big problems with our sport is that many people who would be interested either a) don't know that the sport exists, or b) are aware of the sport but have no idea there's a club in the area.

If the range where you shoot won't allow a permanent sign, consider a banner that can be easily set up or taken down. 

Consider flyers on the bulletin boards of whatever businesses you can envision potential shooters frequenting. Gun shops, hardware or outdoor stores, even places like the local library (where do you think people are getting those Louis L'Amour books from, andyway?), City Hall (Want more LEOs to come shoot with us?), college campuses (Want to advertise to young people? Here you go...), etc. 

Consider the advantages of social media. Does your club have a facebook page? Does someone update it frequently? Several of our local clubs do a great job with this. Is your club on Instagram? SASS is, as are the NRA, GOA, Uberti, Ruger, and a whole lot of other gun companies and gunfolk. Myself, I started a separate Possum.Stu Instagram account, where I share photos and videos of shoots and other CAS-related things when I can. I figure that's an easy way for me to be an ambassador for the sport, and at the very least, it amuses me.

Speaking of being an ambassador for the sport, I think that's how we should always view ourselves. Just as every one of us is a safety officer, every one of us is an ambassador for the sport - we should always be striving to make a positive impression on non-cowboy shooters. I got hooked on CAS after two cowboys, Sly Steadyhand and Cannonball Dent, insisted that I try shooting, when I had just come with the intention of watching.

However, I wholeheartedly believe that sometimes, in the spirit of being helpful, we drive people away from our sport. I agree with those who have said - When a new shooter shows up with their brand new rifle, they DO NOT need to hear how they should have bought an 1873 instead of an 1866, or .38s instead of .45s, or how that Rossi or Henry Big Boy will never run fast enough for our game, or how those stock pistols will need another $300 each of gunsmithing to be competitive (all things I've heard at one time or another). Even if/when true, I believe these statements do more harm than good for a beginning shooter.

Being kind, welcoming, and helpful is good. Being overbearing is not. Advice can be very helpful and should be given when requested, but unsolicited advice can be a turn off for a new shooter. Be helpful, but not a know-it-all. (My wife, Little Red Rampage, informs me that this is doubly true when dealing with new lady shooters.)

added word wrap to your quote:

A few ideas:

A permanent, professional-looking sign allows anyone driving by or visiting the range on a non-shoot day to see that your club exists. I feel that one of the big problems with our sport is that many people who would be interested either a) don't know that the sport exists, or B) are aware of the sport but have no idea there's a club in the area.

Greetings,

I read the first page only, but thought I would share my thoughts.

I shot CAS for a number of years and invested in training, equipment, and gun tuning.  I was shooting 400 rounds a week in practice and loved it.  Enjoyed the people too.  Then I stopped shooting...why?

It got "old".   I like to shoot but I was shooting 30 seconds or less every hour at a match.  Typically 10-10-4 per stage.  24 shots an hour.  120 shots in a 5 stage match that takes all day.    2 1/2 minutes of trigger time in a whole day.  The rest of the time, is spent helping out and enduring the weather  (I am sensitive to heat and that is a killer in most places).   I enjoyed shooting practice and it does not take long to shoot 400 rounds if you are playing with a couple of others.    Then there was the work hours to build props and get ready for a match and tear down after the match at the club. 

BTW, this is a really cheap sport---VERY cheap.  I stopped shooting CAS and started shooting Trap.  Targets and fees at a match are over $100/day not including the ammunition.   There are NO cheap practice targets in Trap either!  And don't talk to me about gun costs....most competitive shotguns are well over $10,000, mine is $18k.   

The problem I see with CAS is that it is trying to cater to everyone.   The old guys like me cannot "run and gun" but that is what the younger participants want.   Some people like the costumes but many think they are silly and a pain.   YOU may get a kick out of pumping gas in your cowboy duds but others may feel less enamored about it.   Then we have so many categories that most new spotters cannot figure out what to look for without an education in gunfighter vs dualist vs whatever else has happened in the last 10 years I stopped shooting.    Look at the rules controversies that riddled the Wire back then...and I bet today as well.  Does it really need to be that complicated????  This is supposed to be FUN!  SHOOT THE DARN TARGETS and stop being lawyers.  (Look at the safety glass thread for proof of that....a rule that may be needed once every five freaking years!)

I sold off most of my spare guns.  Yes, I was so nuts about the sport I had spares!!!   I kept the Colt SAA's that Colt McAllister tuned for me, one of the slicked up 73's, the Marlins, and two of the shotguns but sold off 7 of the other CAS guns...some I had not even shot yet!  You may ask why?

CAS is a lot of fun for me IF I do not attend formal matches.  Not what SASS wants to hear but the way it is for me.   I have retired and have a private range that I am setting up with my own stages to play on with friends and family.  People do not leave the sport because the people we play with are jerks.  They do not leave due to the cost as once the guns are purchased, the daily cost is very affordable.    They do not leave because the "gamers" are ruining the sport - that is just an excuse for someone who cannot shoot fast and well.   They do not leave because they have to dress up, as those who do not enjoy dressing up will endure it, if the costume requirement  stays reasonable.  

Other who have left SASS may have chimed in but I am not reading 5 pages to find out.  I encourage those of you who are thinking about leaving to share your thoughts. 

BTW, having customers leave is not always a bad thing.   Peoples needs change, and some customers will never be happy.

Man, where to start?

Most of the comments and suggestions stated here could have just as easily been written in 1997 when I started (and in fact the same topics have been discussed repeatedly since that time).  And, none of them, as well intentioned as they are, will have any great effect on our membership I am sorry to say.  

The fact is that SASS as a "for profit" business has been an absentee landlord for many years now.  Simply tweaking  the equipment rules or changing the stage design won't bring a first-timer out to the range.  To me this is a lack of advertising pure and simple.  I know advertising is expensive but it's a cost of doing business.   If SASS isn't making enough money to cover that cost, then the model needs to be changed.

Dang It.

On 4/18/2018 at 9:51 PM, Yul Lose said:

Do a little work on your cartridge stop lever or clean the action. Ginny may not let you borrow her 73.

It depends on what he is willing to trade in return, that '73 is a beautiful rifle.  <thinking ng not so appripriate thoughts about this one. ;) >

24 minutes ago, Ginny Hinny said:

It depends on what he is willing to trade in return, that '73 is a beautiful rifle.  <thinking ng not so appripriate thoughts about this one. ;) >

Make him grovel.

Archived